Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:09:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Bird
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Bird  (Read 26716 times)
Gamedragon
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »

Huh, I like the look of this. Anti-lights are a great idea.
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »

Thank you!

Here's some art I did

I usually never work with things this big so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out  Grin

bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »

Cute as hell.

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »

Thanks a lot! :D

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »

whew its been a while! I've been really busy but finally getting back into working on the game.

And now I will present a bunch of random semi-interesting features in hopes that the combination makes this an interesting post!

The biggest thing I finished was redoing part of the lighting scripts (wow what a surprise!)
Now its waay easier to add and remove lights from the level (even runtime), and the sizes of the lights are a lot more dynamic. Here's an example of that:

I have 4 different size parameters for each light now. 2 are presented in this gif:
-the area of solid visibility
-the outside edge of visibility where the shadows become fully black

So that gif demonstrates that these values are fairly distant, and that its stretching out the tiles to match the two sizes.

And the two other parameters, for lights with color:
-the area of solid color
-the outside edge of color where the color disappears.

Here are some cool gifs of another part of the light script remake, involving the colored lights:

What I did is I split the colored lights into 2 different layers, one behind the sprites and tiles and one in front. Previously it was very difficult to get lights to look good because I had to make them transparent enough to not completely block out the sprites behind the color and just make it solid, but opaque enough so that the color the palette shader sets it to is the color id like it to be. My solution is to split it into 2 layers so that when they overlap (when nothing is in the way) they produce the colors I'd like, but when a sprite or tile is in the way it doesn't completely block it out with solid color.
That green light does some weird things to the purple tiles too. Kinda trippy

Another big thing I worked on is moving platforms!

I actually completely redid the movement scripts as well to implement this. There's a lot at play here to make this all work. I've designed the movement so that walking with/against the movement makes you faster/slower respectively. and jumping off a platform after running along with its movement lets you maintain that moment up until you land or hit a wall, and jumping off after moving against its movement slowly builds your momentum back up to your default max speed.
Most of that kinda follows real-world physics, but jumping while not pressing a movement key just moves you straight up, not affected by the horizontal movement like it would in the real world.

And now, some weird bugs/glitches!

And finally, something that deserves its own post but I'm putting here anyway:

Lydia of Bright Primate very very kindly wrote 2 complete music tracks for the game!!

Have a listen right here:
https://soundcloud.com/lydiamarsalaprimate/shady-flight
https://soundcloud.com/lydiamarsalaprimate/scary-ghost-bird

I'm suuper happy with them! I think Shady Flight fits really well with the cave theme, and Scary Ghost Bird would be really cool in a space or mech/industrial area :O

Listening to them while playing the game is such a cool experience, so I guess you can mimic that a bit by looking at the gifs while you listen, if you want Wink

Thanks for following the game so far! More to come

EDIT: Oh ALSO I forgot to mention, I found out that this entire time since i started using the palette shader, I had one of the colors wrong! And it happened to be the blue color the bird uses haha.

You can probably see why I missed it this whole time, but if you go back you may be able to notice that pretty much all of these gifs have the wrong blue color.
It does look a lot better now, and actually made the blue lights work a lot better, because the shader isn't trying to set it to that very-close-to-white blue, its setting colors to a much less 'white' blue. (its also a bit greener, actually that's why I messed it up, the color is supposed to be 107,225,255 when it actually was 107,255,255. I just moved the green value up a bit when I mixed up that number)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:59:27 PM by torcado » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »

looking and sounding excellent! the music matches the mood so well (though i *may* be a little biased)   Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

Thank you! haha well I agree! I'm really happy with the tracks :D

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »

lightbeams!

This is the fruit of that raycast programming. It does lag a bit, but I'm gonna work on reducing that as much as i can.

BUT this will be used for light puzzles and stuff. there will be mirrors and redirection things, it'll be fun.

Artifice Machine
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Very cool effects going on here. I have to say though, as the environment is improving the bird sprite looks more out of place.
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »

thank you!
I can see what you mean, but i don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. As it is now it gives good contrast and makes the player easily identifiable. Maybe there's a point where that contrast is large enough to make the character feel too out of place, but I don't think it's reached that point here .o.

Thanks for the input though!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »

Looking great torcado! I absolutely love the light beam

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »

Thanks a lot! :D I really appreciate it

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »

Light beams and mirrors!

Interesting light puzzles ahead!

Oh yeah also i redesigned the beam orb thing. now its a rock and fits in with the theme a lot better.
Still gonna mess around with the mirror sprites a bit probably

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »

Outside progress!

Got a better grass tileset and started playing around with the outside colors.

Did all of this during a livestream thing. If you really want to watch future streams ill be on https://www.twitch.tv/torcado

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »

The lasers look great. I guess the bird sprite would look less out of place if you removed the outlines from the trail (to match the aesthetic of the light sources). Smiley

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »

oooh that's a good idea! Honestly I've gotten so used to them I haven't even paid attention to them. Ill do that! The only issue I can see is in the case of like the blue background of the grass area one of the trail colors would be invisible. That's mainly why I had outlines, I planned to only have that background color so they wouldn't actually look like outlines, it would just separate the sprites visually.
Thanks for the suggestion!

chariospirale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 04:05:14 AM »

that's look really good ! are you going to animate more the bird ?

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »

Thank you! Yeah ill probably play around with that at some point. There are still several animation frames I haven't implemented after recoding the movement

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

wow its been a while

I've started working on a tech area! Liking how it looks so far

More to come soon, hopefully!

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »

progress from the past few weeks:

new tech themed area!

pushable blocks and buttons!

fans!

And as you can see in the later gifs, I've finally added in zorg's light trail suggestion. I think it looks a lot better, so thanks a lot zorg!
 Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic