Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:35:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIT Simulator
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: IT Simulator  (Read 6534 times)
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »

Can you blow up some ones microwavable casserole like in half life?! That was the best part of the series.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »

Is this game inspired by The I.T Crowd? Cause im getting some serious vibes. If not then there may be a few ideas lurking in that show that you could bring over into the game. Looks seriously fun!

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
JamesRossi
Level 0

PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »

I imagine NPCs might be dumb enough that they would still attempt to use clearly broken items making the situation all the worse? Like a broken shredder and people just keep cramming more and more stuff into the jammed blades until there is a mountain of crap.

Major Apocaleague Baseball - Oregon Trail inelegantly cross bred with Baseball Management.
nonplayercat
Level 0

Developer of IT Simulator!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »

The art is absolutely amazing. I like that you showed the process of creating your assets. As a starting 3d artist it's really helpful to see those. I would like to see more of your posts. You have so much done and so little written about it, i would definitely like to see what challenges you have and how you manage them and what are you working on right now. Keep up the good work Smiley

Thank you so much! I know I'm terrible at keeping up with writing about my work, but I've got another devlog about to be published and I'll try to get in better habits to keep you all updated. Good luck with the 3d art!

I love how happy and clean the art looks!  game looks funny and awesome -can't wait to try it!  Smiley

Thanks! It means a lot to get positive feedback and hear that people might actually buy my game one day!

Can you blow up some ones microwavable casserole like in half life?! That was the best part of the series.

Hadn't seen that before! Just checked it out. I might add something like that in eventually.

Is this game inspired by The I.T Crowd? Cause im getting some serious vibes. If not then there may be a few ideas lurking in that show that you could bring over into the game. Looks seriously fun!

It was probably more just trying to think of funny things that happen in an office setting, but I've definitely watched the I.T. Crowd before! I also get ideas from /r/talesfromtechsupport as well as people here and on Twitter sending me suggestions.

I imagine NPCs might be dumb enough that they would still attempt to use clearly broken items making the situation all the worse? Like a broken shredder and people just keep cramming more and more stuff into the jammed blades until there is a mountain of crap.

Good idea! I actually hadn't thought of shredders yet so I might be adding that in sooner or later now.

It would be awesome if you followed me on Twitter for game updates and WIP screenshots!
nonplayercat
Level 0

Developer of IT Simulator!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

It's been a while since I updated the devlog. Bad Rebecca. Concerned Honestly, I feel like I've been in a bit of a slump, but I think that's just a feeling from being spread thinner than I'm used to. Still, a lot of progress has been made! Here's some stuff! Grin

• (somewhat) procedural characters! The NPCs in the office were requiring too much time and manual labour for me to get set up so I created a system to do some of the work for me. Now, all my materials are pre-baked prior to runtime based on a template for each character. Yay! It's also pretty gentle on the GPU, since it doesn't use any crazy layered shaders, I just let the engine create all of the required materials, and combine all the layered skin & clothing textures into a single texture. This is just work that I would have had to do manually in photoshop. One of the nice things about unity is that editor code and runtime code are so similar, so I can either pre-bake the textures and materials before I build the game, or the textures and materials can be generated on the fly in-game. Woo!

Here's a gif of me setting up a character:

• Improvements to the day cycle, and I've added some nice buildings to look at from the window. A lot of the code that was written for generating textures in the procedural NPC system was re-used in the lighting system. There's a lot of fancy stuff going on like interpolating between gradients and lighting ramps on the fly based on the in-game time of day

Shaders!:

:

• I did lots of work on systems that allow the player to interact directly with the computers in the game, like this popup-closing mini-game. I'm also working on a defragging mini-game. Let me know if you have any other ideas for IT mini-games! Grin

• Cutscenes, objectives and event tracking!

• Also... Bill and Hillary Clinton are now NPCs in the game. Bill was actually an accident; a character I made just happened to look like him. Hillary just seemed so perfect in her ineptitude with technology, I figured she'd fit right in.

It would be awesome if you followed me on Twitter for game updates and WIP screenshots!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic