Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:34:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Play video in Unity (without MovieTexture)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Play video in Unity (without MovieTexture)  (Read 3443 times)
Gerrard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »

Hello,

I'm working on a game called Pankapu, and we need to play fullscreen video during the game.
I tested MovieTexture but it display the video with a bad quality and a bad framerate.

I'm now looking for another solution to play videos.
As the game will be released on PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, XBOX ONE and Wii U (or maybe NX) I'm considering using Bink Video which seems to work with Unity.

Does anyone already use Bink Video in Unity ?
Or maybe there is another solution ?

Thanks a lot !

krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »

Hi Gerrard,

MovieTexture is a total joke, we have the same problem in our game. I have just noticed this Unity Feedback thread, so it would appear that Unity does not support Bink video natively. https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/bink-video-support

On the other hand, I can't seem to find the Asset Store page of the plugin. How exactly would you go about integrating Bink Video into Unity? Doesn't seem like an option to me. What am I not seeing?

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:39:53 AM »

Or maybe there is another solution ?

Sofdec2
Gerrard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »

Hi Gerrard,

MovieTexture is a total joke, we have the same problem in our game. I have just noticed this Unity Feedback thread, so it would appear that Unity does not support Bink video natively. https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/bink-video-support

On the other hand, I can't seem to find the Asset Store page of the plugin. How exactly would you go about integrating Bink Video into Unity? Doesn't seem like an option to me. What am I not seeing?

Hi krides,

About the Unity integration of Bink, you need to contact Bink by mail, it's the only way to get it.
I did it, and we got an evaluation of the Bink SDK and it work like a charm.
What I don't know is the price of the license. I'm still in touch with them to see if we can afford it...

Gerrard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:57:08 AM »

Thanks, i'll take a look at this !

krides
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »

Hi krides,

About the Unity integration of Bink, you need to contact Bink by mail, it's the only way to get it.
I did it, and we got an evaluation of the Bink SDK and it work like a charm.
What I don't know is the price of the license. I'm still in touch with them to see if we can afford it...

Oh, I see! You know what? I'll shoot them an email right now. If price info isn't confidential, please post it here.

UPD: Okay, I got the license agreement, and the extended trial is $1000, so I'm guessing the full license costs even more than that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:48:43 AM by krides » Logged

@krides on Twitter.
krides
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:52 AM »

$4500 for indies, $8000 for AAA. Per platform.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:15:00 AM by krides » Logged

@krides on Twitter.
digitalgibs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

You can always invest some time into writing your own encoder and decoder.  Ive written RoQ decoders for Unity and used ffmpeg to convert the videos.  You probably cant use RoQ for a commercial product since the hell hounds of Zenimax would rain fire on you but if it interests you, you can look at various video formats for inspiration.  Even some hybrid of mjpeg might work for your needs..
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic