Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:07:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)SDL Vs. SFML
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SDL Vs. SFML  (Read 1899 times)
Battlefrog
Level 0

Broc W.

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »

Hey guys/girls. I'm currently in the process of learning C++, so I thought it would be pretty cool to make games with it.

So far I've narrowed it down to two libraries, SDL and SFML. To me, the libraries look basically the same and it's become hard to find which one to pick.

Any ideas?:
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »

I feel like we just had this thread, but I can't find it. Maybe it was in the thread for quick questions.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:16 AM »

Yeah the thread was here not so long ago. However, it can be pretty much summarized by saying that SFML is written in C++ in a very object oriented fashion in the traditional sense of the term while SDL is a C library and the API is thus purely procedural. So if you prefer one of these over the other, there you go. But honestly if you're just beginning game development and just want to make some games, the choice really doesn't matter except that SFMLs API may be a bit more friendly looking to you. Just pick one and play around with it, if you don't like it then you can just switch.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:07:27 AM »

I agree with this ^

Battlefrog
Level 0

Broc W.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »

Yeah the thread was here not so long ago. However, it can be pretty much summarized by saying that SFML is written in C++ in a very object oriented fashion in the traditional sense of the term while SDL is a C library and the API is thus purely procedural. So if you prefer one of these over the other, there you go. But honestly if you're just beginning game development and just want to make some games, the choice really doesn't matter except that SFMLs API may be a bit more friendly looking to you. Just pick one and play around with it, if you don't like it then you can just switch.

Thanks! And sorry about the new thread thing, I didn't find it for my quick minute of searching.  Shrug
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »

Was it this thread?

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic