Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1301954 Posts in 58019 Topics- by 49090 Members - Latest Member: baybayman

June 25, 2017, 07:27:10 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPortfoliosHOFFY: a chiptune composer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HOFFY: a chiptune composer  (Read 1032 times)
HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:52:31 am »

Hi everyone! My name is John Hoffman, and I'm a chiptune composer from Canada. My specialty lies in working with tracker programs such as LSDj and Famitracker to compose songs that sound like they came from games on the Gameboy or NES. If I had to describe my musical personality in one word, I would say "progressive", as I take my extensive musical theoretical knowledge and cultured ear to make unique, catchy music that invites audiences to listen over and over.

Completed Portfolio
  • "THE LIFE AND TIMES OF WHISKERS MAHONE" is a full-length chiptune album that musically summarizes the life of a beloved pet that I had to put to rest in May of this year. In this album, you'll hear prog rock, jazz and cinematic influences that seamlessly combine to paint a unique sonic experience you will NOT find anywhere else.
  • "BOUNDARYMEN VOLUME 1" is part one of a duology that's essentially a love-letter to the retro games of my childhood. Or at least, it started out that way before I felt it needed to also stand apart from the games that influenced its composition (Mega Man, Castlevania etc). By combining my progressive rock tendencies with jazzy chord progressions, I feel I've achieved that.
  • "FLIGHT OF SHIRODEYARU" is a sprawling, epic single that ties into the Boundarymen duology. Moving through multiple time signatures and musical motifs, it stands as my longest and most favorite chiptune composition to date.
Musical sketchbook
  • SOUNDCLOUD: This is where I post all of my composition sketches. From time to time I might even post things that are WIPs.

Reviews (as of February 1, 2017)
   "The Life and Times of Whiskers Mahone is a great album, with a strong love for progressive rock throughout the ages. I definitely urge you to listen along and if you’re a fan of progressive music like Danimal Cannon, Virt, or Fearofdark I highly recommend this release." -- Tuberz Mcgee, https://chiptuneswin.com/blog/fives-and-nines-tuberz-mcgee-reviews-the-life-and-times-of-whiskers-mahone-by-hoffy/
   "‘Boundarymen Vol. 1’ is a remarkable debut album [...] if you're in need of an experience from a new face in the scene, I would strongly recommend checking out HOFFMAN's Bandcamp, as this young man can only continue to impress going forward" -- Bronx Kuma, http://chiptuneswin.com/blog/kumas-quick-shots-round-13/#more-15789

Why should we work together?
   As your game's composer, the atmosphere and narrative you are trying to convey is my number-one priority -- and I communicate extensively with my clients to get a very deep sense of what the game's soundtrack requires. My second priority is making your game have the very best soundtrack that it can have, given your budget. Music is currently my full-time focus, so you'll get nothing less than my undivided attention until your soundtrack is complete.

Pricing
   I am very experienced at what I do, but I am only just entering the industry. I charge $120 USD per minute of audio that I produce.

Get a hold of me!
   E-mail: hello@hoffy.rocks
   Twitter: https://twitter.com/hoffymusic
   Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hoffymusic

Looking forward to working with you in the future!

Cheers,
John
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:59:04 pm by HOFFY » Logged

I'll give your retro styled game an authentic chiptune soundtrack. Check out my music portfolio today.
HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:02:56 pm »

An update, I suppose. I try to avoid these as the amount of bumping in the portfolio section is incredibly unnecessary, but I realize that not everybody likes Soundcloud or Bandcamp as a means of playing back music. Have to give you fine folks more options to listen to what I've made, right? Grin

So, here's a full stream of Boundarymen Volume I which is available on my YouTube page!

For those of you not so intimidated by Soundcloud, I've also begun to work heavily on my next chiptune album which is due next month or later in July. Here's a fun toe-tapper that's sure to evoke a latin/bossa nova kind of feel: https://soundcloud.com/hoffman_iv/language-of-sirens

I'll give your retro styled game an authentic chiptune soundtrack. Check out my music portfolio today.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 03:57:23 am »

20$ a minute doesn't seem like a lot in my opinion. Isn't the industry standard like 60$ a minute or something. I think you could probably ask for more than this and still get gigs.

Good luck!

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »

Thanks Ziska. I probably could ask for more, but seeing as my portfolio is made up of passion projects, I need to give devs that extra bit of incentive to try me out. I'm currently short on work, so anything is better than nothing.

In most circumstances I would just add the completed OST to my bandcamp (unless devs are able to buy an exclusive license to the music).

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:04:23 am »

We're getting dangerously close to the release of a new chiptune album I have coming out soon, entitled "The Life and Times of Whiskers Mahone". It's a pretty personal concept album that tells the story of my pet cat who passed away in May.

In fact, here's a teaser with footage of the program I use to make this kind of music!

Want something like this for your project? Leave a PM or email me at johnandrewhoffman@gmail.com and let's talk!

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »

How about another teaser of the album while it's in post-production? This time you're going to hear something different ... there's a bit of jazz! Although I really like metal, I also consider myself to be an eclectic composer who doesn't limit himself to just one genre.

If you'd like to get something like this done for your game, contact me right away at johnandrewhoffman@gmail.com. Put my skills to good use!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:58:09 pm by HOFFY » Logged

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:02:47 am »

Well, I guess my label is releasing my album way sooner than I expected! Over the weekend I'll be posting more of these. Pretty stoked to have this project done as it's one of the most intense pieces of work I've ever made.

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:59 am »

My new album just dropped! Check it out here at https://cheapbeatsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/whiskers-mahone

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:27:19 pm by HOFFY » Logged

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:33 pm »

UPDATE: for future communications, please contact me at hello@hoffy.rocks. Still looking for new projects!

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »

UPDATE: As a result of some major changes in my life, I must now change my rates to $60 per minute of audio.

In the spirit of always having something new and fun to listen to when I update my portfolio thread, here's something that is sure to tickle the ears. Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/hoffy-music/swill-city

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:52 pm »

A belated merry christmas, everyone! It's a time for giving, and I'd love to give more people the chance to own an album that I've sunk my heart and soul into. So here's the deal! If you sign up for my mailing list at this special promo page, you could be one of twenty-five lucky people to get Whiskers Mahone for free.

Free stuff for the win! Cheers everyone. I'll have something new for ya'll to sink your teeth into in January, hopefully. \o/

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:00 am »

Happy New Year! Everyone who signed up for the mailing list and confirmed their subscription should have received a free link to Whiskers Mahone ... thank you for participating!

It'll be a while until I finish my next two project releases, which I'll talk a little about as follows.

- "The Frozen Cathedral": an eclectic blend of electronic, chiptune and rock sounds. It'll still predominantly be a chip-driven album, but I wanted a larger palette of sounds to work with.

- "Famikit": a sample pack for chiptune producers who work with DAWs, and aren't pleased with what 8-bit drum VSTs have to offer. This pack should work really well for people who are into making heavy-hitting chiptune tracks. They will also layer together really well with real drum samples too, for those who want a hybrid approach of sounds.

Still looking for great people to work with! Get a hold of me at hello@hoffy.rocks ...

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:05:00 pm »

Hey guys! It's a little known fact that I do a bit of sound design as well. On my itch.io page, I'm hosting a free set of sound effects you can use for a retro-styled title screen menu. They were all made with NES limitations in mind.

You can find it here!

Here's a preview of the samples, if you'd like to audition them before downloading them.

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted anything. I don't have anything new to share at the moment, but I am still looking for more projects to get involved with. Get a hold of me while I'm still free!

HOFFY
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 09:26:06 am »

Still looking for projects while I have time open here. Let's help each other out!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic