Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:11:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBill Cosby anti-appreciaton thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Bill Cosby anti-appreciaton thread.  (Read 2127 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »

We should probably draw attention to this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:43:33 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »

so how bout those young people with their smarties phones these days eh? is there an app for selfie hashtags??
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »

bill cosby is a bad man

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »

bill cosby is a bad man

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »

Woody allen and Roman Polanski would also have a word

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »

ok seriously tho, why do polanski and allen get a pass? with polanski it's even 100% confirmed that he did it and yet when the shit hit the fan, everyone seemed to be on his side and pretended like it was somehow horrible if he was to be prosecuted. the fuck is wrong with people?
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »

maybe you consider "continued work and adoration from the film industry" as getting a pass but thats a flawed metric because i have made jokes about both of them being paedophiles in the last 7 days
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »

maybe you consider "continued work and adoration from the film industry" as getting a pass but thats a flawed metric because i have made jokes about both of them being paedophiles in the last 7 days

with the polanski example in particular im thinking of people, including celebrities like, iirc, whoopi goldberg, coming out of the woodwork to defend him. i remember this because i thought it was disturbing as fuck tbh. normally you would think something like that would destroy someone's further career, but nope, nothing.

either way, thank you for doing valuable work as always, super joe.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »

ok seriously tho, why do polanski and allen get a pass? with polanski it's even 100% confirmed that he did it and yet when the shit hit the fan, everyone seemed to be on his side and pretended like it was somehow horrible if he was to be prosecuted. the fuck is wrong with people?

Polanski is a confirmed child rapist, and woody allen is possibly *worse* if even half of the allegations are true (multiple instances of incest, abuse, child rape and sexual slavery, this all coming from an op-ed by his SON) yet "liberal hollywood" is more concerned with "preserving their legacies as artists" than seeing justice served. TBH I think its more because it would be a huge stain on the hundreds of people who worked with/financed/celebrated/partied with them, etc. Regardless, its beyond disgusting, and every new woody allen movie with a cast of new young starlets makes me sick.

And even the horrifically problematic abuse-ignoring "artistic legacies" angle taken on its own is BS because who the fuck cares about polanksi and allen anyway? Garbage films from a garbage, self-absorbed generation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:59:04 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 05:16:17 PM »

It's not like Bill Cosby isn't having "artistic legacy" too, what make him so different?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »

There were definitely plenty of people defending Cosby for the same reasons, and there still are.

And strangely, despite there having been 24 women who accused him over decades, the Cosby thing only gained traction after comedian Hannibal Buress did a stand up routine about it that went viral. The world is a damn weird and messed up place. Gotta wait for pewdiepie to do a rant on Woody Allen or something, true justice system there.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »

I think it helps that Polanski and Allen weren't held up as "America's greatest dad" for decades on end. It feels like much more of a betrayal for a long-time moral figure like Cosby.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »

Cosby was an american greatest dad thanks to the popularity of the Cosby show, idk

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 05:52:05 PM »

And even the horrifically problematic abuse-ignoring "artistic legacies" angle taken on its own is BS because who the fuck cares about polanksi and allen anyway? Garbage films from a garbage, self-absorbed generation.

sorry, but this is dumb. they made some very good movies despite being horrible people and so did others in their generation. their artistic legacy is legit.

also i don't think there should be some kind of purge and no one should be allowed to watch allen or polanski films ever again. but you would think they would at least fall from grace as people and also have their careers cut short, but no, nothing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:59:50 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »

bill cosby was already disliked by quite a few black people because of his views on racism/oppression, even before the rapes went public:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/bill-cosbys-black-conservatism-aligns-perfectly-with-rape-culture-4567

so yeah he's just a terrible person all around lol
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »

sorry, but this is dumb. they made some very good movies despite being horrible people and so did others in their generation.

yeah tbh i'm kind of reeling from the hotness of this take. apart from arguing about whether opinions are right or whatever, you can't deny the massive influence new hollywood had on pretty much the entire body of american (at the very least) film all the way to present day. almost any movie produced in your lifetime has some element that can be traced back to those "garbage" films. unless you're of the opinion that all films since are garbage, which is just, like, your opinion, man (which you're entitled to).

i agree that polanski and allen are indefensible as people though

i have a more visceral response to allen's body of work because it's all so damn personal and it's impossible to not pull the allegations into it. polanski's are "easier" to separate from his personal life, imo. not that i don't take his history into account. i think that ultimately your reaction to art is your reaction to art and people are going to have different tolerances for separating art from artist.

working with allen or polanski is a whole different story and is, imo, indefensible.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »

Pretty sure a lot of it is that Polanski and Allen aren't as engrained in the public eye so people basically go "who cares?" but when a "wholesome" character like "Cosby" turns out to be a monster the dramatic shift in perspective is more of a focal point beyond the terrible crimes themselves.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »

nah, im sorry, the hypocrisy of that generation's pop culture is outrageous and disgusting. nothing has been more disillusioning for me than discovering that John Lennon was a well known serial domestic abuser, pretty much every legendary musician from that era was a pedophile rapist, if not actively engaging in child sex trafficking, kidnappings, etc etc. And much like Cosby, Allen, Polanski, etc., it was all actively ignored by the fans and the victims were shamed or laughed at for decades. And this by the so-called peace and love generation.

call it a hot take if you want, but i strongly believe that their cultural legacy is garbage and the sooner we move away from the idolization of it the better.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic