Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:09:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBill Cosby anti-appreciaton thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Bill Cosby anti-appreciaton thread.  (Read 2062 times)
Gamedragon
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »

I didn't know that about Lennon, thanks for changing my view of him.
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »

nah, im sorry, the hypocrisy of that generation's pop culture is outrageous and disgusting. nothing has been more disillusioning for me than discovering that John Lennon was a well known serial domestic abuser, pretty much every legendary musician from that era was a pedophile rapist, if not actively engaging in child sex trafficking, kidnappings, etc etc. And much like Cosby, Allen, Polanski, etc., it was all actively ignored by the fans and the victims were shamed or laughed at for decades. And this by the so-called peace and love generation.

call it a hot take if you want, but i strongly believe that their cultural legacy is garbage and the sooner we move away from the idolization of it the better.
I don't think you can just blame a single generation for anything. Sure, the hippie generation was a bit spoiled and often went too far as I see it, no doubt about that, but alas, the generations just before the hippies managed to launch two world wars in a row, wars that included a lot more rape and mayhem than the hippies could ever be responsible for in their wildest dreams.
So, terrible events has more to do with people et al, than a single generation. No generation has been entirely flawless afaik.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »

phil fish disappeared from public view because he said the r word in our sex tape while making fun of my bad bottoming prowess (i had a bout of proctitis due to a gypsy curse)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:39 AM »

I didn't know that about Lennon, thanks for changing my view of him.

yeah, sorry :/

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/you-dont-have-to-imagine-john-lennon-beat-women-and-childrenits-just-a-fact

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/1679838/Leaked-audio-tape-alleges-Beatle-star-John-Lennon-fantasised-about-having-sex-with-his-own-mother-Julia.html

and really it just gets worse from there:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/11395848/We-gave-Seventies-rock-stars-a-license-to-behave-badly.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/17/david-bowie-and-rock-n-roll-s-statutory-rape-problem.html

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/oct/07/does-pop-encourage-under-age-sex

http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/01/22/steven-tyler-once-had-14-year-old-girlfriend-that-her-parents-signed-over-to-him/

https://bitchtopia.com/2014/02/12/look-away-rockstars-and-their-underage-prey/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-wildest-led-zeppelin-legends-fact-checked-20121121/led-zeppelin-once-defiled-a-groupie-with-a-mud-shark-19691231

and the list goes on and on and on. you can say "ah but those were different times", but jesus christ this stuff at least needs to be acknowledged.

Anyway pardon the detour, please continue on track hating Bill Cosby. Just save some hate to spread around for the rest of that abuse enabling generation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:42:10 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 04:06:19 AM »

call it a hot take if you want, but i strongly believe that their cultural legacy is garbage and the sooner we move away from the idolization of it the better.

but then you have to acknowledge that whatever newer music you listen to and make is also part of that legacy. or at least you would have to go through some extreme mental gymnastics to deny that the 60s and 70s were a massive shift in "popular" music that made a lot of modern trends possible in first place. one of the biggest ones i can think of is approaching "pop" music as "art" rather than simple diversion. the 60s counterculture is probably THE most important force in blurring the line between the "popular" and the "highbrow".

i'd even go as far as to say that many of the "nerdier" pockets of culture today (including videogames) were heavily influenced by them. the hippies were among the first people who hyped up things like lord of the rings or sci-fi literature as "great art". they also had a huge influence on early silicon valley. you will hear a lot of people claim that the internet was developed for military purposes but actually the first attempts at connecting computers together for communication purposes were inspired by the communal spirit of the 60s.

the 60s were also the time when feminism and anti-racist activism got a huge forward push and many political ideas that are still influential today were developed (and this was reflected in the culture of the time, see free jazz and funk for instance).

so i think you're basically throwing the achievements of an entire generation down the shitter because some celebrities back then were bad people and that's dumb.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:24:14 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 04:31:44 AM »

You can say I'm "throwing them under the bus" for acknowledging their faults, but I say it's simply holding them accountable. In not in any way denying that there was great art made and obviously everything since than has been impossibly influenced by it. I'm just saying that it needs to be placed in the context of its sometimes nasty reality rather than the current state of boomer cultural propaganda.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 04:34:48 AM »

ok, fair enough.

also bill cosby always sucked anyway. B)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 04:38:41 AM »

There may also be a significant cultural difference to our experiences with this. Here in the states we have a kind of low simmering cultural cold war between the "golden age" of predominantly white boomer culture and millennial culture, which tends to be more aligned with urban black culture etc. etc. Being told by cultural gatekeepers that rap music / etc is "bad" because of image (Bill Cosby was actually HUGELY critical of rap culture for this), presumed misogynistic lyrics etc, while holding up as paragon the lies of literal serial wife beaters and child rapists is beyond infuriating.

Anyway, I'll end my ranting, please continue on friends!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:55:37 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:22 AM »

Oh ofc, the boomer generation today with their endless self congratulatory circle jerking and shitting on younger people is annoying af (tho gen x is becoming just as bad, such is the nature of old people lol). especially because boomers betrayed their ideals more than most other people.

you're right that racial tensions probably play into it much more in the US, european racism is more about immigrants. the culture thing is more just an intergenerational conflict that can be easily ignored. german rap is basically cartoon music because almost no rappers are "real". also there are more people of color in rap than other music genres in german speaking countries for sure, but racial delineations are not as strong.
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »

Celebs gets away with all sorts of stuff worldwide. Also despite skin color or hair-length or cultural impact. If anything has saved darling Cosby at all here, then it's his network of media people, and hardly his skin color or anything else.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 06:26:57 AM »

Who the fuck is Polanski?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »

film director
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »

*irrelevant baby boomer fart

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »

you're right that racial tensions probably play into it much more in the US, european racism is more about immigrants.

I don't know about that

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »

i wouldn't say that younger people in europe (at least in my "region") are less racist than older people. in fact it almost seems like the opposite might be true judging from anecdotal evidence, seeing as overt racism is now the "edgy and nonconformist" thing to do among young white men.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:47:43 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »

The thing is in america, black people have found way to be vocal and seen somewhat, and they has been more successful than other minority (asian for example) in being heard. When asian complain in america you barely hear them because nobody care. I think this is because black have been able to be huge and successful driver of culture.

Black in europe have the same problem than asian in america, they are supposed to be without problem therefore not heard at all, they don't get any avenue to be listen to. That also isolate black european to each other until they found their issue are not in isolation (increasingly with social media). Also because black american's situation is used against them to tell them they have it easier here (while that's highly debatable), just like asian american are shut up with the "model minority" caricature.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 11:55:56 AM »

Black in europe have the same problem than asian in america, they are supposed to be without problem therefore not heard at all, they don't get any avenue to be listen to.

really? i think you're extrapolating from france too much. i've never heard of black people being a model minority in either austria or germany. in fact they get shit on as much as "muslims" ("muslims" in the racialized sense). unemployed, drug dealer and rapist are the common racist stereotypes for black men. sex worker for black women.

the situation is probably different because most black people in those 2 countries are either recent immigrants (post-2000) or first generation descendents of immigrants. we don't have colonial slavery in our past.

i guess you can't generalize europe huh?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »

No I never said black were a model minority, they are in a same situation as in "they have it better than", in this case "black american" as they use the blatant racism case to say "we are having it better here, don't complain" and ignore the blatant racism here. The thing is that american is an all around more violent society, it's easier to have outrageous cases with gun murder, though they do happen in france and elsewhere too. The thing is it's not told and mostly compiled by marginalized activist.

Gamedragon
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »

i wouldn't say that younger people in europe (at least in my "region") are less racist than older people. in fact it almost seems like the opposite might be true judging from anecdotal evidence, seeing as overt racism is now the "edgy and nonconformist" thing to do among young white men.
WTF, is that actually how some people look at racism?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic