Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:09:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStifled - A Mic-Enabled Sound-Based Stealth Thriller
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Stifled - A Mic-Enabled Sound-Based Stealth Thriller  (Read 2937 times)
thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »

Congrats on Greenlight! We are also doing Greenlight and this is great to read!

Let us know when it's up! Will pop by to drop a vote!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

For the last few months, games have been greenlit twice a month: a few days before the middle and end of the month - and even then it is spread over a few days.  So, even if your numbers are good, you still have to wait for one of those times - which should be coming up in a few days. Smiley

Ahhh, TIL. Thanks for the info! I'll try to keep updating the thing day by day until the end of the month and see if that holds true!
Looks like it did! Grin   Congrats! Smiley

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »

Awesome concept, and the video looks great! Following!
rebelholic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:21 PM »

Congrats being on greenlit!
I have a plan to doing steam greenlight approximately two months later

For now I am focusing to build relationship with many journalists, bloggers, or youtubers to input to my newsletter database

Feel free give feedback:
Fearless Tigor Devlog
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »

The game looks cool! I'm glad you posted about the different places that have covered it, because I'm also making a horror game, and when I get ready to release, I'll make sure to contact some of those sites that I didn't know before.

I'm also interested in how your strategy involves going to so many conventions. That's got to be really expensive, especially with how you mentioned traveling from Asia to western shows is costly. How do you budget for that?

I would have voted on Greenlight, but I'm too late! Smiley

thestrangers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »

Congrats on the Greenlight! Following your thread and supporting as I have a lot of friends who love games like these. The day-by-day Greenlight progress is interesting to see.

How are you handling the article writeups? Cold call/emails + press release, or event networking?

Thanks! Do get them to drop us an Yes vote if it makes sense!

It's a combination of all there, with event networking being the best, cold emails second and press release last. Sidenote: traveling from Asia to Western show means networking gets really expensive, really fast.

Done before you asked. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Despite the wavering at 60-70%, I think it's encouraging to see how quickly Stifled's climbing in ranking even with the still-yet comparatively low unique visitor count. Nice work and followed.
thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »

For the last few months, games have been greenlit twice a month: a few days before the middle and end of the month - and even then it is spread over a few days.  So, even if your numbers are good, you still have to wait for one of those times - which should be coming up in a few days. Smiley

Ahhh, TIL. Thanks for the info! I'll try to keep updating the thing day by day until the end of the month and see if that holds true!
Looks like it did! Grin   Congrats! Smiley

Yep, it seems they do it end of the month now!

Awesome concept, and the video looks great! Following!

Thanks!

Congrats being on greenlit!
I have a plan to doing steam greenlight approximately two months later

For now I am focusing to build relationship with many journalists, bloggers, or youtubers to input to my newsletter database

Thanks! And yea, twitter is your best bet!

The game looks cool! I'm glad you posted about the different places that have covered it, because I'm also making a horror game, and when I get ready to release, I'll make sure to contact some of those sites that I didn't know before.

I'm also interested in how your strategy involves going to so many conventions. That's got to be really expensive, especially with how you mentioned traveling from Asia to western shows is costly. How do you budget for that?

I would have voted on Greenlight, but I'm too late! Smiley

Yea, happy to help! Look for other games in the same vertical to look for journalists that enjoy horror games in general.

Conventions wise, it's really just hemorrhaging money. So, make every dollar count, I fly the most value for money flights and survive on cheap food (I try to make sandwiches) during trips. If you have faith in the game you've made, be willing to spend on the marketing to give it the best hope for success, and even if it doesn't work out, the connections you make during the trip(s) might still be worth something.

Congrats on the Greenlight! Following your thread and supporting as I have a lot of friends who love games like these. The day-by-day Greenlight progress is interesting to see.

How are you handling the article writeups? Cold call/emails + press release, or event networking?

Thanks! Do get them to drop us an Yes vote if it makes sense!

It's a combination of all there, with event networking being the best, cold emails second and press release last. Sidenote: traveling from Asia to Western show means networking gets really expensive, really fast.

Done before you asked. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Despite the wavering at 60-70%, I think it's encouraging to see how quickly Stifled's climbing in ranking even with the still-yet comparatively low unique visitor count. Nice work and followed.

I still felt we could have done better, we had a fairly decent hook and decent press coverage, I suppose it's still about finding more and timing them to launch at the same time.

thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »

Day 13 (It says 14 because I was jetlagged and didn't do the screenshot thing in time)

We got Greenlit!

So, all-in-all in 13 days we had a pretty stable climb in terms of votes and great feedback from most press outlets.

I've heard suggestions to find a publisher and skip greenlight totally, but I feel that the "call-to-action" (which in theory, helps players remember your game because they did something for it) you get from greenlight will help build your audience even before the game is released.

Based on some of the replies, and some information we've received from friends, these are some of the assumptions I'm making
  • Greenlighting by Steam happens at the end of the month
  • 3000 votes is the minimum votes you need before getting Greenlit not the case according to Natman!

What could have been done better
  • More press from bigger press outlets
  • Bigger mailing list
  • Twitch outlets?
  • Public demo?

What we are currently planning (and would love some comments/feedback on)
  • Release the demo publicly based on community goals (E.g. 1000 likes on Facebook)
  • Soliciting donations/preorders to help fund marketing
  • Start posting articles on our development tech and design (Echo shaders, Sound systems, and Design challenges)

So yeah, thanks for reading and we hope the huge list of images help with your greenlight! Feel free to ask questions when my memory is still fresh!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:57:19 AM by thatjustinng » Logged

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »

My game was greenlit with way less than 3000 votes, for the record. It's very niche and publicity was pretty nonexistent, but after a while (much longer than yours), it got the greenlight anyway. I think their decision making is much more mysterious.  Noir

thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »

My game was greenlit with way less than 3000 votes, for the record. It's very niche and publicity was pretty nonexistent, but after a while (much longer than yours), it got the greenlight anyway. I think their decision making is much more mysterious.  Noir

Yea.. sure does sound like it. I'll edit my post then!

thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »

Also, this just happened at ACGHK.

Stifled + PS:VR is a thing

WE CAN FINALLY TALK ABOUT IT OFFICIALLY!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »

Didn't give exact numbers in that last post because I couldn't remember. Tongue

If you're interested, this is the devlog post where I shared all the final numbers. Only 536 yes votes, but, based on the experience other local gamedevs who've done Greenlight, it had a pretty huge amount of positive comments.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »

Here's another game with a fairly "low" number of votes that got greenlit a few weeks ago: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42222.msg1263758#msg1263758

That reminds me of the other point I mentioned earlier:
Greenlighting by Steam happens at the end of the month
It seems to have happened twice a month for the last few months based on the projects that I was following.

thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 02:43:02 AM »

Didn't give exact numbers in that last post because I couldn't remember. Tongue

If you're interested, this is the devlog post where I shared all the final numbers. Only 536 yes votes, but, based on the experience other local gamedevs who've done Greenlight, it had a pretty huge amount of positive comments.

Here's another game with a fairly "low" number of votes that got greenlit a few weeks ago: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42222.msg1263758#msg1263758

That reminds me of the other point I mentioned earlier:
Greenlighting by Steam happens at the end of the month
It seems to have happened twice a month for the last few months based on the projects that I was following.

So, Greenlight is basically a black box nobody actually understands eh?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »

Yeah, pretty much. Another dev I know was telling me he thinks it's based entirely on a magic number of page impressions (2000 or probably something bigger?) and that votes and vote percentages don't matter at all. I don't buy it, but it would be funny.  Wink

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »

So, Greenlight is basically a black box nobody actually understands eh?
People on the *inside* of the blank box do. Wink  Other than that, there might be a generally used formula for seeing what game people are interested in and can also help weed out low quality games.  But as a business, $team is likely to use its *magical powers* to let certain games through if they want to.

thatjustinng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

It's been awhile since I posted because juggling production and business work at the same time isn't the most fun thing in the world. That said, I'm super happy to announce that we'll be heading to a bunch of events this September!

So here are the events! (Let me know if you'll be there, would love to hang out!)

• [02-05] Penny Arcade Expo West - Seattle, WA!
  • [09-11] BIC Festival - Busan, Korea
  • [15-18] Tokyo Game Show - Tokyo, Japan

Also, what is everyone opinions on pre-orders?

Shnurbs
Level 0

heyo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 11:32:30 PM »

This looks neat. I like how tied the visuals are to the sound. How're you guys gonna deal with sound outside of the players control, like someone using a leaf-blower outside, or someone walking in and trying to talk with the player?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic