Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:47:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralso I want to do a startup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: so I want to do a startup  (Read 466 times)
dao cowboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

I have an idea I've been kicking around/refining for several years--sort of an auction site.  I don't want to do something as complicated as eBay, but for the purposes of this post, imagine I'm talking about eBay.

I don't know how to code this.  I'm not totally code illiterate:  I once wrote a ~600 line C++ program that seemed to do what I wanted it to do.  But I'm not good at coding by any estimate.  I know the best idea would probably be to learn how to do everything myself.  I might end up doing that, but I'd like to see if I can recruit coders first.

I no longer know anyone who actually works with code.  I was thinking about putting an ad up on craigslist--not sure if that's a good idea. 

The reason I'm posting is because I want to know what technical skills I need to look for in recruits.  By answering that question, you'll also inform me on what I would need to know about if I ended up doing it myself.  I mean, I've heard of things like Ruby on Rails but that is the extent of my knowledge in the matter.

I will appreciate any response.

Edit: I'm researching the financial/legal aspects of startups; I'm posting this to learn about the technical side.

I have books for sale on Amazon.  Search for "Peter van de Welde."
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »

I've poked around in various languages while deciding which I would 'get good' at...now I'm no expert on the languages I'll toss out here but long ago I came to (vaguely) understand their rolls in getting a site up, running and functional.

HTML: This is the code to get the site running, bare bones web code basically.  It's absolutely necessary and you will be using it even if you don't realize it or not (say you use a 'template' service to skip lower level code...well they will be using HTML)  It comes in various iterations -HTML4 -HTML5 -etc'

CSS: Short for "Cascading Style Sheets" this language will make your functional HTML site beautiful and ascetically pleasing.  Odds are it does quite a bit more than that but that's my understanding of it in a nutshell.

C#, Javascript, various similar languages: These languages will do a LOT for your site.  This is where you will cook up the various "functions" for your website, that C++ project you made...imagine putting it on a website for people to access on a webpage.  These languages can do other important aspects you would need for your proposed site, some are great "go-between" languages for server functions, and getting certain lower-level languages to "play nice" with each other...  

PHP and other server specific languages: Someone bids on an item and wins, that data has to be stored on a server, someone's gonna have to get that aspect up and running.  I know of at least two "server" languages but only PHP is coming to mind at the moment and odds are there are more.

There's quite a bit of cross-functionality in that some languages can do the jobs of others.  For instance I know you could use C#'s 'ports' to cover quite a bit of the server functions and with a bit of creativity you could use it for a bit of "prettyfying" and thus intrude into PHP's area.

And that's about my knowledge on the subject, odds are there's better methods, languages and such, also my knowledge is pretty dated lol...I honestly don't know wtf Python or Ruby does but I bet there's a good reason so many use them.  You're gonna want more input than mine basically.

Good luck with the site sir.   Coffee

Edit- The people here are mostly game devs btw, cool people and I bet quite a bit here have web development skills but you are likely to get the best answers >Here<...Stackoverflow if basically the internet Olympus of coders and they will stumble over each other to accurately answer/help you learn/debate each other openly about the best methods/ etc...great people there as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:33:32 AM by NoLocality » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:58:20 AM »

I've been working as a web developer for 2 years, here my experience:
I think the most fitting term for the people you want to recruit is full stack web developer.
It's someone who is skilled in all facets of web development, server and client side, but mostly this people are skilled in either server side code or in design, so one part of the job would take longer.
You could also hire for example 1 server side guy: who is more skilled in languages like PHP, Java or C# and
one frontend developer who designs the interfaces in HTML, CSS, javascript, jquery..
If you would want to do it yourself, it would take you around 1 year to get all the skills you would need to establish such a project. It could take you less time, but if you want to set up your project the right way, to maintain it easily later on, you would have to write clean code and that would take, as i said at least a year to learn..
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic