Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:41:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6710 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »

you know, at first, i didn't agree to the video, then as he went on and i realized he was just saying what he liked first before pointing out the problems i agreed more and more, they were more or less my issues with doom also...i literally got bored and just wanted it OVER as it got near the end as every fight in the game was the same and the levels were just boring. The melee executes in particular drove me nuts, i was so sick of those animations by even halfway through the game.  Honestly if i had to go back and decide again i wouldn't have paid 59.99 for it, I would have waited for a sale. It's decently fun, but after only 8 hours of gameplay it's over and no temptation at all to even pick it up again it just doesn't really feel worth it.

Also, snapmap sucks, all the levels look so much the same since it's all prefab hallways and rooms, ID missed the entire point of what was so fun about user made levels in their previous games....that they could be ANYTHING.  Hell, i remember long hours in quake + UT fragging it out in the mushroom kingdom...or candyland..or in space with jumppads, because that shit was FUN

-Fuzzy Spider
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »

i like it. i rented it last night and have played about 4 hours of it. the maps are linear but they're flooded with little nooks and crannies and hunting down the secrets is the entire appeal of the game beyond the (fucking great) gunplay for me and offers a nice breather. it honestly feels kind of like metroid prime in its approach to hidden shit, which...is the absolute zero last thing i'd ever expect to say about fucking doom of all things

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »

it honestly feels kind of like metroid prime in its approach to hidden shit, which...is the absolute zero last thing i'd ever expect to say about fucking doom of all things

really? because doom 1 and 2 had lots of hidden secrets in them and were more intricate than this game is.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2016, 03:44:05 AM »

yeah, doom 1 and 2 were all about the damn secrets. the very first levels of each game were twice as large once you began exploring the secret areas.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2016, 04:15:20 AM »

i mean i was a bit too young to play doom when it first came out, so only got to play it in the late 90s or so. i didnt actually experience it as this hyperviolent "horror" shooter, but as a maze game with action and puzzle elements (later levels in doom 2 especially got very puzzly)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2016, 04:32:00 AM »

make that 2003/2005 for me and its all the same.

city levels on doom2 could take forever on their puzzle aspect. almost made me quit the game haha.

Macuyiko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 01:44:20 AM »

you know, at first, i didn't agree to the video, then as he went on and i realized he was just saying what he liked first before pointing out the problems i agreed more and more, they were more or less my issues with doom also...i literally got bored and just wanted it OVER as it got near the end as every fight in the game was the same and the levels were just boring. The melee executes in particular drove me nuts, i was so sick of those animations by even halfway through the game.  Honestly if i had to go back and decide again i wouldn't have paid 59.99 for it, I would have waited for a sale. It's decently fun, but after only 8 hours of gameplay it's over and no temptation at all to even pick it up again it just doesn't really feel worth it.

Also, snapmap sucks, all the levels look so much the same since it's all prefab hallways and rooms, ID missed the entire point of what was so fun about user made levels in their previous games....that they could be ANYTHING.  Hell, i remember long hours in quake + UT fragging it out in the mushroom kingdom...or candyland..or in space with jumppads, because that shit was FUN

Agreed -- some of the things in Doom are great (the frantic gunplay and movement feels solid) but it just gets so ... exhausting so quickly after stepping into yet another room with demons popping in from a red mist.

I miss monsters just roaming levels before the player would arrive.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2016, 02:20:23 AM »

yep, game's good but unfortunately overstays its welcome.
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic