Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:56:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6604 times)
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »

Accurate that GIF is.

It just occurred to me...this is the RE4 of the Doom series. 

It's rare that I'm not a third of the way through a game and already hoping for a sequel...let's pray that we never hear "the RE6 of the Doom series" as the next iterations inevitably roll in.

Doom guy we missed you, never leave us again.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »

maybe this could prompt a similar proper sequel to unreal in terms of mood and mechanics and I can die happy

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »

comparisons with RE4, which is one of my favorite singleplayer shooters ever plus everything else i've heard is making it really REALLY hard to resist getting this. damn.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

is it still enemies standing next to each other looping attack animations like in doom 3 or is it actually cool
Looks like looping attacks in your link, actually.

Regardless, it looks like the cheaper end of design if the monsters just keep spawning out of nowhere. In the original doom the monsters were already all there from the start (at least for the most part), they just could enter portals.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »

as somebody who has been modding and playing the original doom for over 10 years, apprehension towards this game is hard to avoid. but the positive impressions are tempting me.

e: not too happy about the lack of true mod support though, although it's understandable because of the complexity of the engine compared to classic doom. still wish they had it in there for the hardcore fans regardless

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »

although it's understandable because of the complexity of the engine compared to classic doom
no it isn't, if anything with the tools and such we have available now modding should be even easier, i mean, look at games like Ark.
maybe this could prompt a similar proper sequel to unreal in terms of mood and mechanics and I can die happy
we could only hope, i LOVED the unreal2 weapons though (hell i modded them into ut2k4, lol), and the gameplay mechanics were pretty good, just the level design and story were pretty meh.

-Fuzzy Spider
pixelperfectpolygons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

The new Doom is more or less an arcade shooter. It's possibly the fastest paced shooter I've ever played with some of the best enemy AI in a FPS. It a lot of ways it has the spirit of an indie game unlike the lifelessness of things like The Division. I truly love my time with it.

Twitter: @ourghostsofwar
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »

Dude made a cool fan song:

I find it absolutely amazing how they took the Doom community's running joke of 'Rip and Tear' from that one shitty Doom comic, gave it a totally different tone and feeling, and made it something really fun.
The game literally starts by telling you to Rip and Tear. It's great.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »

hello i caved in and bought Demon Punching Simulator 2016. it is good.

I find it absolutely amazing how they took the Doom community's running joke of 'Rip and Tear' from that one shitty Doom comic, gave it a totally different tone and feeling, and made it something really fun.
The game literally starts by telling you to Rip and Tear. It's great.

actually i was like "do we really need another rip and tear reference"?
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 02:09:26 PM »

i bought it too, my thoughts so far

overall, it's good, but
...the finishing moves get old, fast, and it seems it often prevents an enemy from dying when it should so you can finish him
...i hate the whole collecting things for suit/weapon upgrades, it slows the game down so much and just feels like a chore in an otherwise fun game
...the multiplayer sucks
...it may be fast paced compared to a modern fps but on comparison to utk24 or quake2/quake3 it's actually pretty slow
...the ammo limit being so low forcing you to use the chainsaw and watch a long repetitive cutting animation to refill is annoying. (might not be an issue on lower difficulties)
...the AI is extremely predictable and easy to kite into groups to kill off with explosions
...screw the guys with shields, every time i walk into a room with one the fun just ends as instead of running 40mph with a shotgun now i have to stop and get a shield break on that guy so i dont get instakilled.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

yo can someone tell me what people mean when they say this game has "labyrinthine levels"? so far its been mostly just scripted setpieces with enemies teleporting in and some minor backtracking. granted i'm only at the foundry, so maybe things change later on?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:27 PM »

actually i was like "do we really need another rip and tear reference"?
You're gonna love the arrow to the knee reference later on.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »

"labyrinthine levels"?

I'm about 7 or so levels in and wouldn't consider the levels "labyrinthine"...this could change later maybe.

I am noticing though that the backtracking/branching is getting more elaborate as the game progresses, where early level 'secrets' consisted of things like an undefended armor boost tucked away in a ventilation shaft I found that later branches we're 5-10 minute treks with a couple relatively minor fights between you and your 'secret'.

The level design isn't the most inspired thing so far, but then again the devs put forth that they focused mostly on assuring the locations where fights took place were proper 'arenas'.  Morrowind this is not.

Hey Silbereisen...when you see your first mancubus and what follows, enjoy...it's a beautiful moment.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »

i mean the thing is, i was expecting something at least resembling doom-esque mazes after what i've heard about the game. this is not that at all so far, even if the arena setpieces are fun.

i was told that it's the "true sequel to doom" but it doesn't feel more like classic doom than doom 3 did imo, even if it's very different from doom 3. i was also told it's a cross between old and new FPS styles, but it's really a modern AAA shooter, except faster and mixed with "arcadey" mechanics, which puts it in a similar category as something like bulletstorm or vanquish.

i don't think thats bad and there IS a lot to like about the game mechanically and presentation wise. the wealth of viable options you get with the weapon firemodes and different "equipment" is great for instance and it's a surprisingly complex game. i also think the chainsaw mechanic is clever, contrary to raptor.

i'll just have to readjust my expectations i guess.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:46:22 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »

i've been noticing that too, unlike classic doom levels which were basicly mazes full of secret passages and traps, the layout in this doom is more of a hallway full of monsters then a big open arena area, rinse/repeat.

it's ok, just, not really what i was expecting or hoping for, i wouldn't say it's a true sequil to doom, gameplay-wise it's far more similar to quake

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 05:50:05 PM »

It's not a sequel to classic doom anyway, it's a sequel to brutal doom ...

Magurp244
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »

Well, like I said its basically like Quake 3 Arena (with the open area's, repulsor's, and quad/pickups) and Painkiller (all said monsters/vicera options) had a baby who suspiciously looked like the Doom Guy next door, with toned down exploration and more bitch slapping. Not like regular Doom, but not bad either.

Also much thanks gimymblert for the youtube tags.  Wink
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »

i can see what you guys are saying with it being more quake than doom. honestly after adjusting my expectations, i think you could do a lot worse than a modernized quake with the iconic monsters from doom. it's a nice game. level design isn't top notch but you can often do things in different orders and there are somewhat difficult to find secrets and etc, so it's definitely more complex than standard AAA shooter level design.

btw does anyone else think this game has inconsistent art direction, particularly w/r/t environments? some places look almost like leftovers from doom 3 with their metallic dirty grey drabness, while others are colorful and cartoonish af and much more clean looking. or am i just imagining things?

i mean, this is a game whose development was rebooted a couple times, so maybe there are some leftovers from the more doom 3-like earlier version worked into it. that would explain it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:40:20 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »

I waaant to plaaay this gaaame! Ughhh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic