Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:43:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6707 times)
bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »

I waaant to plaaay this gaaame! Ughhh
Yeah, Doom/Quake were the last generations of FPS I actually cared about, so I'd like to give this a go. Got a feeling it won't like my 5 year old Macbook Air much tho.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »

btw i was skeptical about the upgrade mechanics but i think they work surprisingly very well. all those different runes and firemodes and etc you unlock and upgrade really do add genuine depth.

also im starting to really warm up to the fact that this is a modern shooter at its core. id has been struggling to bring their style of FPS to the 21st century and this time i feel like they finally got it right.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »

btw does anyone else think this game has inconsistent art direction, particularly w/r/t environments? some places look almost like leftovers from doom 3 with their metallic dirty grey drabness, while others are colorful and cartoonish af and much more clean looking. or am i just imagining things?

i mean, this is a game whose development was rebooted a couple times, so maybe there are some leftovers from the more doom 3-like earlier version worked into it. that would explain it.

It's a weird sort of thing where it feels like certain parts of the facility were hit harder than the others, but then alot of that is in the beginning, way far out from what's supposed to be the area hit hardest.
Then again, with the game's story as it is, Tier 3 employees are so far gone due to the demonic suggestion that they were largely just gathering in singular areas to be slaughtered and/or turned into the possessed. By the point of the Lazurus Labs they even show that happening in a hologram.

And yeah i definitely agree the game is very much more like Quake than Doom. I just really enjoy the fact I'm playing a game that really encourages me to stay constantly moving for once.
And... yeah i dunno? The maps are gigantic sprawling things but they aren't straight up labrynthine. They play off the Quake 2 line of map design it seems- it loops you around from various paths to a main hub, which eventually unlocks the end point of it.

Can I just say that I REALLY like the Cyberdemon fight though? It's a legit cool boss fight that requires thought and reflexes to win, the kind of which you rarely ever see in FPS games.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:28:01 PM by Applefat.GOV » Logged
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »

although it's understandable because of the complexity of the engine compared to classic doom
no it isn't, if anything with the tools and such we have available now modding should be even easier, i mean, look at games like Ark.
your point is understandable, but in the original doom all you need to do is draw some lines, texture them add some lighting and height variations then you've got a map (maybe a shitty one, but a map still).

but you are right, complexity shouldn't excuse them from adding true modding support. it was probably done this way because of consoles, to keep maps cross-platform.

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »

The main reason why there's no mod support is Megatextures, The internal editor REQUIRES server farms to really function well at all, and just the sheer fact it's Idtech and notoriously user unfriendly. It really CAN'T happen, and the devs have stated as much multiple times.

I mean, really, do you think you have a PC capable of handling what has been quoted as 'hundreds of terabytes worth of uncompressed texture data'? Because i can't think of any one person who'd be able to work with that by themself.
Megatexture is some wild shit, I don't even know how they manage to use it.
Magurp244
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »

Can I just say that I REALLY like the Cyberdemon fight though? It's a legit cool boss fight that requires thought and reflexes to win, the kind of which you rarely ever see in FPS games.

Eh. Yeah, its a cool fight, but it seems to just feel... off to me. I mean, you have this giant health bar at top of the screen that screams "BOSS FIGHT". One of the things I really liked about the original Doom(s) was that bosses weren't really bosses, so much as introductions to really big ass minions that would crop up later on. Cyberdemon's in Doom 3 became a largely cinematic affair that really sucked the threat and power out of them, nothing said "OH GOD!" like having a Cyberdemon (or two!) crawl up on you in the originals. Part of me wishes they did the same here, with cyberdemons becoming regular threats later on mixed in with minion spawn. Well, maybe if theres a sequel...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:25 AM »

i normally hate platforming challenges in shooters but i like the ones in this game. MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »

The main reason why there's no mod support is Megatextures, The internal editor REQUIRES server farms to really function well at all, and just the sheer fact it's Idtech and notoriously user unfriendly. It really CAN'T happen, and the devs have stated as much multiple times.

I mean, really, do you think you have a PC capable of handling what has been quoted as 'hundreds of terabytes worth of uncompressed texture data'? Because i can't think of any one person who'd be able to work with that by themself.
Megatexture is some wild shit, I don't even know how they manage to use it.

wow, that's insane. server farms to run an editor? or is that just to build the levels, kinda like rendering a 3d animation?

that's really cool but it also sounds a bit over the top considering this game doesn't look all that much better than most other games out right now.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »

It is quite representative of the generation of gamers today to hear little complaints about the reboot. Those who played the original Doom and understood what made it so good to this day would certainly have their complaints, as I can imagine. Here are few points I see:

- Sterile art design, also the demons look like cute toys. The original clearly intended a more serious and scary tone within
  its limitations.

- Gunplay delivers little feedback, also you don't hear enemies suffer and they splatter like they entirely consist of liquid.

- Limited action variety because of "generic" level- and action-design: Too many enemies just spawn out of nowhere by defined
  events. In the original most of the enemies are there from the start, you can hear them when you walk by, you have the
  opportunity to channel their activities: For example you can lead hordes of enemies into one room and unleash massive damage
  on them from a save spot, or just watch how they destroy themselves.

- As a consequnce of the point above you encounter no surprises within a level. In the original you could get surprised around
  every corner, depending on enemy- and doorswitch- placement and further aspects of level-design.

- A further consequence is the lack of atmosphere.

So what's left is solely the running and gunning aspect. And sure, it can be fun for few runs while the game is fresh. But that's about it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »

pretty much, gotta say while the running and gunning is fun i find myself already bored of the game after only a few hours of play, it's just really repetitive, run into big round area with powerups everywhere, kill tons of shit spawning in, run around picking up health and ammo after, walk through short hallway to next large round area.

And honestly the texturing kinda looks like shit in most areas (mostly the outdoors stuff), so that's a gross misuse of server farms if thats how they're doing it, reminds me a lot of how the levels in quake wars looked, everything's just grainy and looks the same.

-Fuzzy Spider
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »

i haven't played this game but mick gordon is good imo
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

the music is actually very good yes. it's turned very low by default tho as in a lot of modern games so it took me a while to realize this.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »

And honestly the texturing kinda looks like shit in most areas (mostly the outdoors stuff), so that's a gross misuse of server farms if thats how they're doing it, reminds me a lot of how the levels in quake wars looked, everything's just grainy and looks the same.

I'm sorta curious here, but what's your PC specs?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 12:52:38 AM »

i don't think it looks that amazing either tbh. i'm running it at max settings. it looks like an average modern AAA pc game.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »

I'm sorta curious here, but what's your PC specs?
overclocked I7 skylake 4ghz (running at 4.4), 64gb ram, gf980ti, quad 480gb SSD's , got the quality turned to Ultra

If those rock textures are megatextured they'd literally look the same if they had a perlin noise filter laying over the color brownish-red, as much as i've enjoyed it 90% of the game is just textured red rocks or metal grates, and the fact that it was developed first for console and ported for PC very much stands out (not just in texturing too, the hitboxes on things are HUGE and enemies are super easy to circle strafe, reminds me of the halo 1 port to PC

while doom might technically be more advanced, Ark for instance in Unreal4 engine is visually better looking, and hell, dark souls 3 is visually much better looking even though its engine is technically WAY inferior.  Like Silbereisen said above, the game looks like an average AAA shooter

the gameplay is great and thats what matters, i thought the cyberdemon boss fight was kinda lame personally tho, whole thing was just scripted sequences and as long as you know to jump,duck,jump on his 3 hit combo it's basicly impossible to die, i love the chaotic fights were it just keeps throwing more and more big enemies in way more than that. I didn't really like how they made him look either, especially with his horns kinda reminds me of a giant bipedal moose.

-Fuzzy Spider
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »

Yeah I mean they obviously aren't using megatextures in the way that RAGE was, or anything, that's pretty evident from basically any scene in the game. Its a v nice looking and pretty well designed game tho.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »

Mick Gordon: (on scoring the new Mario) I wanted to get an authentic feel for where Mario came from, what he does. I imported some 8 inch thick PVC pipes from Italy and retro-fitted them into a church organ I got from the local Catholic diocese. I began to ask myself: what would a dinosaur sound like? I layered the screeches of birds of prey and lizards together, but needed a sound to represent Yoshi's nature as a friendly, helpful dinosaur. I vocoded the sounds with the voice of Fred Rogers, and fed that through a custom built circuit-bending flanger, operated with the foot pedal of the organ. At this point, the sound was getting there but was still feeling empty. I returned to the older games in the series to get a feel for the classic drum sounds represented in Mario's legacy, and the timpani stuck out. I constructed my own timpani using an old water main and the skin of several famous, dead mafiosos. I referred back to the drawings of visionary artist Leonardo DaVinci, and constructed a guitar resembling one of his fantastical flying machines, which I then ran through a million filters until it felt like being fucked by a robot.
Magurp244
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:57 PM »

the music is actually very good yes. it's turned very low by default tho as in a lot of modern games so it took me a while to realize this.

There's actually more in the music than you might realize.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2016, 02:04:30 AM »

MY VERDICT ON THIS GAME

it is good but might be a little overrated because people had low expectations. it has smart mechanics and enemy desgin and surprisingly non-annoying platforming segments, but the endless monster arenas do get old and the "exploration"/backtracking is imo nothing to write home about.

also the story/tone is in that awkward inbetween zone where it's kind of dumb and throwaway but still kinda tries to be semi-serious. that's how you get those boring lore notes and unskippable multi-minute exposition cutscenes. it should have been even more over the top and cartoony.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 03:53:28 AM »

since i know you're all wondering: i'll add my verdict in 10-15 years when i finally play this game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic