Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:31:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6606 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »

But yeah, maybe it`s one of these parallel universes thingymajigs.  In my time and era videogames were actually the only common ground for our version of jocks/nerds.

yes pretty much my experience. i mean we didn't really have "jocks" and "nerds" in the first place. there were cliques of course but they weren't that rigid. you could kinda hang with people from different cliques if that makes sense.

but welp, in my country you don't really have different "classes". you have different teachers teaching different subjects like maths and physics and w/e, but you're always with the same group of students. that probably makes the group dynamic very different from school systems based on "courses" w/e.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »

this brings up a salient point: the new doom won't give rise to a new generation of dylan & erics because the protagonist is physically strong and thus wholly unrelatable

You're wrong Joe I can rip a daemons head off with my bear hands you don't know my life.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:20:09 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »

ripping someone's head off is kind of less impressive if you're a bear

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »

joe's hypothesis is, with all due respect, rather spotty to begin with, seeing as the protagonist of the original doom was also rather physically strong and is, to my understanding, the same person who stars in this new professional digital entertainment product.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »

I would like to postulate that Doomguy is of average adult strength, and it's actually the demons that are weak, owing to the much lower gravity of the surface of both Phobos and Deimos.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Canned Turkey
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »

Moving my edit to a new reply because people responded to my original post rather quickly

Anyway. I absolutely loved the new DOOM game. It's kickass and I miss playing games like classic DOOM, or wolfenstein, (another amazing reboot as well) or Max Payne 1 & 2, or any game just based around being a badass. I hate the new idea that every game needs to be a full cinematic experience with a coherent back story and narrative. Just let me blow something up. I don't watch Micheal Bay movies because when I go to the cinema I want a story. But I want Micheal Bay games. I play games for action and adventure.

Also, the intro to this game was perfect. It was the middle ground between a "gritty reboot" and Duke Nukem Velveeta-grade cheese. Too much cheese and self-reference kills a game for me.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »

I would like to postulate that Doomguy is of average adult strength, and it's actually the demons that are weak, owing to the much lower gravity of the surface of both Phobos and Deimos.

I rest my case.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »

According to Hollywood that is average adult male strength. He could even be a single father, raising his half demon kids the best he can.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »

Yeah I'm playing DOOM too and I think they nailed the intro for this gam. Really shows you what a badass the Doomguy is. Some dude starts talking to him about plot and he just rips the computer apart.

But I also learned that it's maybe a little too fast-paced for me. I'm having real trouble keeping up with all the shit that happens in fights, the action is overwhelming. But that's not a problem with the game itself, it's just that I'm really bad at FPS games haha.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »

But I also learned that it's maybe a little too fast-paced for me.
I've heard a LOT of people say this about the new Doom but IMHO the game is pretty average to slow paced in both shooting and progression, maybe it's a generational thing and you're just comparing it more to games like COD and battlefield/etc ?  Compared to other actual "twitch" shooters doom is actually pretty tame.

Gotta add too i found most of the weapons on Doom to be pretty useless and never really used the upgrades on most. I pretty much just shotgunned my way through the whole game and once i found that super shotgun it was over, my other weapons gathered dust (especially the horrible new plasma gun that felt like i was shooting the demons with spitballs or something with the pathetic damage it was doing)

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »

speed feels right to me. it probably would feel slow if i was still actively playing quake 3 haha
Magurp244
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »

Gotta add too i found most of the weapons on Doom to be pretty useless and never really used the upgrades on most. I pretty much just shotgunned my way through the whole game and once i found that super shotgun it was over, my other weapons gathered dust (especially the horrible new plasma gun that felt like i was shooting the demons with spitballs or something with the pathetic damage it was doing)

Let's face it, that's really the only true gun Doom ever had. Ah, sweet, sweet shotty, My Precious...
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »

I rest my case.
You have to stretch it to 4:3 or it won't look right.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »

4:3?

what is this, the 1800s?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »

I've heard a LOT of people say this about the new Doom but IMHO the game is pretty average to slow paced in both shooting and progression, maybe it's a generational thing and you're just comparing it more to games like COD and battlefield/etc ?  Compared to other actual "twitch" shooters doom is actually pretty tame.
Yeah, I don't actually play any twitch shooters other than this. My reference frame is stuff like Dishonored and Deus Ex. i.e. games where you can gun if you want but you could also just stealth through the levels. This is the "purest" shooter I've played in a very long time.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:41 AM »

anyone making any snapmaps? Mine still needs clean up but I've been working on it for weeks lol
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »

Went to see a friend play this on his dad's boss computer and holy hell is this game good O_o

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »

anyone making any snapmaps? Mine still needs clean up but I've been working on it for weeks lol
Does it look like your school?
0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »

Does it look like your school?

I don't go to school lol
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2016, 01:20:53 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic