Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:57:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The right tools before I start
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The right tools before I start  (Read 604 times)
keahi
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:39:27 AM »

Hello so by day I am a professional web developer, focusing on backend server code in java. but I also do a lot of other stuff including html, javascript, c++, electronics etc etc everything. However my day job is not in game dev, it's in coding for filling and statistics.

I want to make a game my first game so naturally i want to use the things I am aware of. but also want to get advice from ...erm....."experts" here on this fine forum.

So the style of the game I want to make is a web based, space trading/fighting game. dones a Billion times before I know!
This is the list of tech that I was going to use

Api server model, fully seperated api from front end for easy use.

API:
java
restx, (restful java framework)
Hibernate

database:
mysql

login:(I need people to have accounts its multiplayer only)(all i need is a unique id per player)
use google login with no permissions( most people have gmail accounts so reduces signup barrier) 

Front end:
served via apache2
html5 (html + javascript)
jquery, (for easy coding)
phaser, (not sure what for, but its designed for game dev)
threejs (so i can plot pretty 3d things)(Its not a 3d game, i just might want 3d pictures)

Musts:
Must work on windows, mac AND linux
Must work in chrome, and firefox,, not bothering to support ie
Must work in higher end modern smartphones and tablets
Must work in browser without plugin download

Wants:
to not have to pay a fee or licence for software/tools used
to make it hard for people who want to copy my game and claim it as there own.

please give me your feedback opinion and comments on tech choices, I would like to get this right before I start.

krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »

2D or 3D?

Either way, I would strongly suggest using an engine, at least for rendering things if not for the rest of it. By the time you have one polygon (or sprite) rendered on screen without an engine, you will already have your basic gameplay wrapped up if you're using one.

My kneejerk reaction would be saying just to go with Unity, but I know that some people prefer some other tools, for example, HAXE seems to be a big one for all things 2D. I'm not an expert on 2D, though. I know Unity's 2D tools (which are not bad in all honesty, but not amazing-amazing), but that's about it. If it were me, I would just go with Unity. It corresponds to all of your criteria and allows to publish WebGL apps on the web.

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic