Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:37:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMaking a Fable like game in Java!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Making a Fable like game in Java!  (Read 1605 times)
DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

2nd Year games dev college student, Java 7+ years

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »

I'm 18.

I'm looking to form a team to produce a Fable style game, since i heard lion head studios got shut down recently; idealy in Java with LWJGL however I'm open to using Unity.
The project will be called "Project Ozmeed" if successful more will be added to the games series.
Once the game is in a playable state a kick starter will be started
The team name is "Team Salamander"
Interested?
My contact email is [email protected]
Put the subject as "Project Ozmeed" and say how you can contribute

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »

Dear DRAGONMASTER412, I'm 69.
DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »

I am very serious about this project. If you have any inappropriate or unrelated comments please take them elsewhere. They are not wanted here.

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »

First of all, having reached 69 years of age I don't appreciate being spoken to like that. Secondly, the only skill I think I could offer is in dragon wrangling, but it seems fairly evident that you've got that under control.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:22:58 PM »

As I understand it, you program 24/7. However being a child I think you should adhere to a schedule, and being awake past midnight to post about theoretical computer games is to be avoided.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

Ya didn't even post in the right subforum.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »

I want to be the captain of a pirate ship so we can sail the seas in search of treasure and adventure.  The ship is called the Rolandrius and the crew will be called Varia Suit.  Please raise your hand if you want to join my crew and put "Rolandrius" in the header if you have a ship we can use.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »

Look at the instinctive cynicism flooded with bile and venom here and realize what path you tread down
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »

Capn, I think I've responded to this exact type of thread dozens of times. I write out a thoughtful response most of the time, but I can't be bothered recently. Think we could sticky a "Hey newbies with a great idea!" thread or something?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:06:25 PM »

Make a good effortpost about "So you have an idea for a game: Now What" with terms, strategies, and resources, and I'll put it somewhere nice
DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »

And here I was. An ambitious games developer hoping to form a team... Putting faith in TIGSource was a mistake. It seems everyone here are areseholes. Its depressing really. I have loafs of people who want to be involved too.

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:12 PM »

Post a screenshot
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »

It is unrealistic to expect people to want to help you (aka: work for you) when you haven't clearly produced anything and you are a total stranger to the community.  If you want people to help you it's your challenge to convince them why they should work with you instead of their own ideas.  Everyone has ideas.
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »

If you have a loaf of people to join in, then what exactly do you need then?

Your OP comes off as:

Hi I'm 18 and I want to be the boss of the next lion head studios. I need people, dunno which, but you should come to me because........?

I think people in here have seen that type of post many times before, this is why you got a bit of a banter. Don't take it to heart, and good luck with your project. Kickstarter is a good idea.

DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »

We decided to move the project into Unity.

We need programmers to assist writing core mechanics. Ideally experienced in C#,
Concept artists to help visualise the world
Story writers to help define the story we already have
Sound engineers to provide sound for the game
3D modelers to make the characters and environment
Level designers to help construct levels
Animators to animate models etc
Testers for when the game becomes playable and kick starter is launched

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:17 PM »

What's your design document like?
DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »

It is currently being finalised by another team member.

The game concept
1) Present the play with an epic story that takes them though the major points in the world.
2) I want the game to have a dark story but bright visuals.
3) Character development will be though a 'Moral System' depending on their choices of right and wrong (this'd be identified by how NPC's will act around the player)
4) Completely open world, I do not want a linear world.
5) I want full character customization, clothes, face, hair, body shape, muscle etc.
6) Looking deeper into the narrative i would say it'd be linear (with optional side activities) BUT choice based so narrative is based around the choices the player makes.
7) The ending would roughly end in the same place, just the ending will be a little different due to the players choices and actions.

If that makes it any easier to picture.

The story so far:

The player starts as a farmer's son, living on the family's homestead with his father and two siblings. While working the fields, the father uncovers an ancient artifact and decides to travel to the city to have it appraised. He takes the two younger siblings and leaves the player to keep track of the farm. The next day the player awakens to discover that his father was murdered. His siblings are returned to him and he now has the responsibility of taking care of his two younger siblings. Flash forward and now the player is an adolescent. The farm has fallen on hard times and the player finds himself on the road to town to ask for reprieve on the loan. He discovers an old man on the road being harassed by bandits. The player steps in and strikes down the antagonist. The old man reveals himself to be wealthy and upon discovering the player's hardships, offers to buy the farm, with the caveat that he be allowed to establish a headquarters for his order on the property. When the player asks about the order, the old man holds back the information. Fast forward another year and the player is in late adolescence. The old man has been on the property for a time, living in a small shack, taking visitors from time to time. One day, one of the visitors is garbed from head to toe in armor and mistakes the player for a member of the old man's order and begins rambling to him about an "ancient evil". Perplexed, the player confronts the old man and he admits that he was trying to establish a fighting company on the property, in order to combat an ancient evil that had been awakened by the artifact found on the player's farm years ago. The player accepts an offer to be trained by the old man and the armor clad knight. From there the player would quest to build up the fighting company, and work towards bringing down the evil that his father died for. This would give us several opportunities. We'd have a parallel to the heroes guild that the player could then build and develop, upgrades and new recruits and the like. This would also give us a platform for a reputation system, allowing for high level hirelings being only available to a "guild" with a higher reputation.

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:27 AM »

Alright, Dragonmaster, I'll be nice and tell why I was being an ass earlier. The thing is, your idea is bad. That's perfectly fine. I was exactly like you when I started. Instead of Fable, I wanted to make a Diablo game, but with everything procedurally generated. I thought I was a genius. I think I even wanted to try to make it in LWJGL like you. The problem is, making a game is hard. Making a big game is even harder.

The problem with a lot of new people who start designing video games is that they have no experience with scope. Let's think about your game a little bit. You have no experience coding games. I'm assuming this based on the fact that you aren't even sure about what engine you want to use. Therefore, let's compare a team led by a relative newbie to the team that made Fable. That team was led by Peter Molyneux, a legend in the gaming world, the vice-president of EA games, and someone who was already making games for ages. It took 70 of the great game designers and 4 years to make.

So, you're trying to make a game like that, but without the experience, the money or the talent. Why would anyone want to join your project? It's obviously never going to finish, or maybe never even start.

Let's look at your design document a little. Namely, let's look at "Completely open world" and "Full character customization". These are both really really complicated things to do. Not because they're hard, per se, but because they require a ridiculous amount of modeling to do. And what do they really add to your game? Right now your idea is bloated. You basically want to make Skyrim or Fable, but don't have the money to support an idea like that. Let's cut down your game to the essence of what you want. Things like your morality system and dark story but bright visuals are far more important than being open world, and far easier to accomplish.

This is your first game. It's going to be way harder than you think, and you aren't going to be able to finish. Try cutting it down to the essence of what you want the game to be. Do you want a great story? Then don't rely on anyone else and just make an adventure game. Do you want great combat? Then just make combat. But you can't just dip into the best of every world and expect to make any progress at all.

My suggestion is to make a small game, like a bullet dodging game or pong or something generic. Then, if you feel like it's still fun, then try to make a simplified version of your current idea. Realize though, that if you've never made a game before and have no idea what good game design looks like, your game might just turn out bad. That's fine. There's plenty of bad games. I just recommend learning the basics before making something so complex so that when you do put in the thousands of hours for your passion project, it at least turns out well.

Cap, imma write up that post at some point soon and PM you.

DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:39 AM »

Just so you know I have been programming since 2009, I have plenty of experience, worked in companies prior, released a game (in 2013 called Blocaria) and this is not my first game. More like my 100th.

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
DRAGONMASTER412
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:40 AM »

Another thing to note is, I didn't know which engine because I wanted to decide which was best in terms of getting it to work on consoles and also my current PC specs for it to run at a stable fps. That's why I'm not using Unreal.
Writing in house would take longer.

We decided unity because it will speed up development and make level design easier. + it makes lighting and shader use easier since I always struggle to get it worming in Java.

DRAGONMASTER412

Decoreo(C) 2012 - 2014

All Rights Reserved

www.decoreo.weebly.com
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic