Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:51:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAftertile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Aftertile  (Read 33381 times)
kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »

This looks great! Cool to see your process on the ghost animation, I'm a complete noob when it comes to animation so always great to see examples of workflow.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 04:43:38 AM »

Wow, the art and animation here is incredibly fluid and charming! Definitely looking forward to seeing more.

(Also, just curious: is your username/Twitter handle a play on this guy's name by any chance?)

Thanks! I'm really focused on keeping the animation fluid! :D
Yes, he's my favorite author and Maruki is also a play with my middle name, heheheh.

This looks great! Cool to see your process on the ghost animation, I'm a complete noob when it comes to animation so always great to see examples of workflow.

Thanks! As soon as I go back to animating (currently finishing up the storyboard for the first half of the game) I'll always post a progress gif or an explanation in the devlogs. Smiley

bclikesyou
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »

Your color schemes are on point. Will definitely follow along on this one!
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Your color schemes are on point. Will definitely follow along on this one!

Thank you!! I hope that the following mockup is still on point :D

Here's another mini-devlog! On this episode, I give an insider's view of my conceptualization process, from paper to depression to mockup.
The mockup for the first stage has been one of the most difficult and fun things I’ve done (or rather, doing, because there are some elements missing still). As said before, this is the first time I’m doing anything in pixel art, so more than half of my time I’m spending studying (and whenever anything nice comes out of it, I try to make it available as public domain). But, most of the time, work is pretty frustrating, as the pixels don’t seem to obey you and insist in showing a will of their own.
Plus, the first stage in Aftertile is made of rocks, and different kinds of rocks that have to follow a certain color pattern and give a certain feel. So far, the workflow that worked for me was:
  • Decide the basic elements of the stage/level/phase including props, because they help with context.
  • Collect references for those elements both in the real world and in games, especially those that have an aesthetic that pleases you.
  • Practice on a piece of paper.

Those are some of the sketches I’ve done before I actually opened up Aseprite. I went from the closest to the reference (I was using comet surface pictures, they have strong shadows) to the farthest, already mixing what I had in mind to what I liked in the games that inspire me (in this case, Castlevania and Metroid).
This is the result so far:

And that’s how the cookie has been crumbling for me as I’m engulfed, more and more, by gamedev.
Any feedback is welcome! Thanks for reading!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »

Hi everyone!
This is a complement to last post, as I've finished the mockup for the first level!

I've also made a laughing animation for one of the devils, and made into pixel two others (selected in a poll on twitter):

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm stopping by to post the level 02 mockup:

Now I have the two mockups I wanted for the demo.
We've changed our level building workflow, so I'm going to work on that (again). I'll post screenshots Smiley

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »

looks super cute!

Twitter: @pbergmar
bclikesyou
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm stopping by to post the level 02 mockup:

Now I have the two mockups I wanted for the demo.
We've changed our level building workflow, so I'm going to work on that (again). I'll post screenshots Smiley

Ahh those background clouds over the water are wonderful!

One thing I'm noticing, and it may not be an issue once we see a full level, but the character feels pretty big in comparison to the tiles. This could just be my own bias for tiny sprites showing through.

Either way, keep it up Hand Thumbs Up Left
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »

looks super cute!

Thank you! <3

One thing I'm noticing, and it may not be an issue once we see a full level, but the character feels pretty big in comparison to the tiles. This could just be my own bias for tiny sprites showing through.

You have sharp eyes, hahahaha! Yes, the character is 64x64 while the biggest tiles are 32x32. That is a design choice, actually, that has to do with the character design itself. Ghosty is supposed to be bigger than the other ghosts in the game and we expect the player to see that because this size difference is what will make difficult for Ghosty to find a place to rest - because there's never enough room for him. That is one of the key points in the plot.

bclikesyou
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:36 PM »

looks super cute!

Thank you! <3

You have sharp eyes, hahahaha! Yes, the character is 64x64 while the biggest tiles are 32x32. That is a design choice, actually, that has to do with the character design itself. Ghosty is supposed to be bigger than the other ghosts in the game and we expect the player to see that because this size difference is what will make difficult for Ghosty to find a place to rest - because there's never enough room for him. That is one of the key points in the plot.

Well you're doing a great job then!
Teslohan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »

I love the concept, and it's an adorable protagonist too. : )
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 12:17:27 AM »

Aaah! I didn't know there was a devlog for this! You're great at animation and drawing! c: That's an incredible change since LD already.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »

I love the concept, and it's an adorable protagonist too. : )

Thank you! Ghosty is our cute appeal, hahahaha :D

Aaah! I didn't know there was a devlog for this! You're great at animation and drawing! c: That's an incredible change since LD already.

Yaaaay! Thanks! Knowing that makes me really happy! :DDDD

I've just posted on IndieDB a step-by-step of the purple rocks from the sketches to the final asset! I've also made a gif of the process:

And currently I'm doing the maps in Unity:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »

How do pixel-perfect graphics / pixel art work in Unity? I never really looked into that.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 06:04:16 AM »

How do pixel-perfect graphics / pixel art work in Unity? I never really looked into that.

We use ProCamera2D as our camera, along with 2DTookit for the sprites.
To keep the pixels looking sharp, everything has filtering disabled and movement is done in alignment with the pixel grid.
When zooming, we try to keep the zoom at the nearest integer multiple of the base resolution, to avoid searing/bleeding.

Unity is pretty powerful so there isn't a lot of trouble to keep the pixels looking good.

And here's an update on level building: :D

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 05:05:11 AM »

I'm almost done blocking out the first three levels :D

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 05:23:52 AM »

That's a lot of blocks.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »

That's a lot of blocks.

Kung Pow reference? :D

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 06:59:05 AM »

pretty well stuff you have here!

Finding what I can do better
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 05:44:43 AM »

pretty well stuff you have here!

yay, thanks! <3

This week I had to deal with some freelance work. I kept building the levels I'd designed so far (0-2). Here's a size comparison of the first two levels and how the third one is turning out:

And then I started designing the floating animation for Ghosty! This is the wip:

It still need the hat and inner particles, but the idea is basically that: soft and floaty.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic