Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:43:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAftertile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Aftertile  (Read 35612 times)
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:30 AM »

Quick update to show Ghosty in a hurry:

vie cabana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 06:58:33 AM »

Nice progress and fluid animations!  It's going to be real cute Smiley  Keep on the good work!

Concept artist open for freelance jobs

https://www.artstation.com/artist/viecabana
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »

Nice progress and fluid animations!  It's going to be real cute Smiley  Keep on the good work!

Thanks a lot!

I've started working on the logo, for a change. As soon as it's finished, I'll update the first post of this thread with it!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »

Meanwhile, I finished some Ghosty's loops, mainly the attack ones:

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »

Lots of things got done in the past few weeks, and this is a summary of everything! As you can see, I've updated the first post with the logo, new screenshots and more objective information.

I’ll start with the juicy and big news: the guys from Sounds for Pixels are doing the songs for Aftertile!! They composed for Trench Run, Caveblazers and TheShortest Journey (which I particularly like very much song-wise).  For Aftertile, they are making a mix of chiptunes and gentle reverbs, such as pianos and harps, which really gives off the feeling we want to express in the game. You can listen below to two of the tracks that will be available in the demo:

Level 2theme:

Impy’sTheme:

I’m personally very excited to play my own game that’s going to feature these songs. @v@ And, well, I haven’t introduced Impy yet in any of the devlogs, butdon’t worry, he’ll show himself very, very soon, ha ha ha.

Graphics-wise,I’ve spent some time doing an extensive research for Aftertile aesthetics,because although the main layout for tiles and scenery is there, they are still lacking motif. So I made this research in order to include props, characters and animation loops that would refer to Buddhism (be it India, Japanese,Chinese or Korean) or Shintoism, as these are the two themes I went for while writing the story. Then, having all this data collected allowed me to start sketching some props here and there, and start changing the logo, which looks like this now:

This is not even my final form. I’m still going to include a shimenawa (a rope that is used to mark a sacred place) at the bottom.

Also, now we’ve got a proper icon, which is pretty iconic:

I’ve also continued working on Ghosty’s animation loops, more specifically regarding his abilities. Ghosty is a ghost, he’s made of ectoplasm (which makes him soft and agile), he has power and dominance over matter only using the power of his mind(telekinesis) and he’s able to cause strange phenomena (poltergeist).

Therefore, when he floats, he is quick!

Plus, he’sable to control orbs, condensed clumps of ectoplasm, using the power of his mind.

One of the symbols I discovered during my research was the ensō, the hand-drawn circle,made with one or two uninhibited brushstrokes to express a moment when the mind is free to let the body create. The ensō then became the perfect symbol for when Ghosty’s concentrates to use his telekinesis:

This ability is going to be used in the game to restrain enemies and to restore energy to certain spots in the levels’ special rooms. The player will have two options while playing: a simple and fast short for smaller enemies, and a charged shot for bigger and slower enemies.

Design-wise,it’s been being hard work non-stop. The levels are big, but not only in size:besides having a big area to explore, I’m including elements to make it more dynamic, such as parallax and a few distinct background layers – which, in level 01, will feature smiley clouds, for instance. While I do that, I’m also fixing the tilesets that are not tiling, or that are too repetitive, etc.

A bit of screenshots:

Thanks for reading! <3

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

Hi everyone! I just upload my first gamedev video ever!  Coffee It's about dynamically changing the background of a level according to the camera's Y.

This will be cool as some of the levels will be vertically long, so as the player travels, he can see the sky changing at the distance.
I was previously using a tileset to do it, but I think it's cooler this way.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »

Hey everyone!

I'm working on the tiles and levels again today, here's a video with a bit of parallax testing:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »

Woah! Lots of improvements since last time I checked in! Very pretty tiles. c:

I'd say the parallax is almost imperceptible. I personally think you should make it much stronger. Usually IME of parallax backgrounds, they will rather appear to almost move with the camera (which, technically, of course they do, but yeah Tongue) so that it takes a while to view the next section of the background.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »

Woah! Lots of improvements since last time I checked in! Very pretty tiles. c:

I'd say the parallax is almost imperceptible. I personally think you should make it much stronger. Usually IME of parallax backgrounds, they will rather appear to almost move with the camera (which, technically, of course they do, but yeah Tongue) so that it takes a while to view the next section of the background.

Hey, Prinsessa! Thanks!

I see what you mean, we'll definitely change its settings.  Coincidentally, I prepared a short paragraph about it for the next devlog, which I'll post later today or tomorrow.

Also, I'm personally very anxious, as we're considering running a short and small crowdfunding campaign on indiegogo to acquire funds to pay for the rest of the music. This is something I've been considering for a while, and finally decided to start speaking about it. Given the fact that the demo will be out basically by the end of the month, and the full game will be done in December, mostly likely, I think it's worth the risk.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »

This looks so cute! ^__^

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

This looks so cute! ^__^

Thanks! <3 We're working hard. hahaha
Here's another devlog entry:

I feel I may be repeating myself too much, but I’m going to talk about map and levels again! That’s because I’m very happy with how they are turning out. So much, I’m closing the “building maps for the demo” branch and moving on to focus on working and including the mechanics and animations.

I’m pretty much done with everything “static” on the map: tiles, spikes, backgrounds. Each level features 3 different types of tiles on the player level, three different backgrounds and a static sky background that is now only rendered on the camera.

I’ve also decided on a few more aspects of design that I haven’t initially, which is making more room for more NPCs and including large rest areas for the player to flow and rest after having crossed a series of corridors full of spikes or fought with lots of enemies.

This decision resulted in my “breaking” the level 01 and 02 maps in the middle, and then fixing and rebuilding them. I’ve also changed the colors for two of the background layers, so they could match better the purple rocks.

broken maps

Before the color for this background was grey blue-ish, now it's purple Smiley

I took a short break from map building to work a bit on the menu, as my pet programmer was in need of the assets.

This is going to be the pause menu, which will be used similarly to the “pause” menu in some Castlevanias: you pause the game but is also able to see information. It will feature a record of the missions, the number of orbs collected, the abilities learned and options such as settings, back to title, etc.

About the parallax: I’ve received mixed feedback about it. Some people say it’s imperceptible, some say it’s very beautiful. Maybe the gif and video capturing tools I’m using are to blame (respectively GifCam and FFSplit). The parallax, however, is not something difficult to tweak. We bought Pro Camera 2D and we can change the parallax settings almost anytime:

So we’ll be doing a few more tweaks to it, and you guys let me know what you think!

The next weeks will be pretty intense, and we want the demo ready by the end of this month and we want to release it with a greenlight and a crowdfunding campaign (to acquire funds for the music, which I showed in this previous post (ext link on IndieDB) – check it out so you can listen to Aftertile’s music!). As such, any feedback, share or mention is of great help!

Thanks for reading!!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »

Hello everyone! Levels for the demo done, it's time to make Ghosty more powerful :D

More on this later this week!!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2016, 11:43:38 PM »

I haven't chimed in on this thread. I like it. I do think the paralax is a bit too subtle though, and that you really have to focus for it to be noticeable. Maybe crank it up like 33-50%?

The tiles are pretty sexy btw.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2016, 06:52:04 AM »

I haven't chimed in on this thread. I like it. I do think the paralax is a bit too subtle though, and that you really have to focus for it to be noticeable. Maybe crank it up like 33-50%?

The tiles are pretty sexy btw.

Thank you!
I agree, the parallax needs to be more noticeable. When I take a short break from the main character loops, I'll adjust it and then post the results here. Smiley

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »

The level designs looks awesome, I agree with the parallax, keep up the good work maruki.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 05:39:38 AM »

The level designs looks awesome, I agree with the parallax, keep up the good work maruki.

Thanks, Kevin! <3

While my programmer works on the cameras and parallax, I've committed myself to finish the Ghosty loops! hahaha ;_;

This is just the beginning.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »

Following! I'm gonna have to catch myself up on the old posts when I get a chance.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

Following! I'm gonna have to catch myself up on the old posts when I get a chance.

Thank you!

Hey guys! I've updated the first post with a brand new logo anim loop. I'll also update the gifs little by little.
Also, I'll be posting a new devlog entry here tomorrow or so. :D Cheers!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

Hi everyone! It’s been a while since the last devlog! We’ve been working long and hard on Aftertile all this time, and I’ve got many things to show.

Basically, lots of things got done. I usually do not think from this perspective, but when I look in retrospect, I’ve made a bunch of assets and we’ve made around 500 commits this past month. Initially designed as a small game (it still is), Aftertile has proved to be a challenge in many aspects, and as a team of only two we have to solve them one step at a time.

As I told you, I’m taking care of the art, design, level design, story and UI. I usually split my time between those tasks, so I progress slowly but steady in each of them.

Taking the hook from my last post, Ghosty’s loops now are 60% done, and that counting the sprites we are still not sure if we are going to implement or not. From the ones that are strictly required, I still need to do the game over animation.

I can’t show all of the loops, otherwise it’ll be too much spoiler, but I can say that Ghosty has got a lot more personality now. For example: his hat now is not only a common ghost hat but a companion Eye-hat, that carries Ghosty through hard material, and Ghosty acknowledges this partnership:

Also, Ghosty had friends now.

I made the two generic NPCs, the big and small, and Fausto made a component so I can easily generate different colors for them. This way I can easily add variety to the NPCs.

The stages are a bit more complete now, as I've placed the collectible orbs and healing wells on them. I've used Super Tilemap Editor for the orbs as well, and I managed to build beautiful formations to be seen and collected:

I’ve also started and finished designing and animating the speech bubbles. I initially thought up of 4 designs, and ran a poll asking: “A ghost is speaking, and you hear its voice inside your head. If you could see the words in a speech bubble it would be like…” Most people chose the 3rd one, which was my favorite as well. I’ve animated the pieces and assembled them on Unity, and even made a mockup of how I want the text transitions to be.

(BTW, the font is a custom font I commissioned from Chris W. Early. He makes great pixel work, and his fonts are great. If you guys ever need any pixel fonts, you should talk to him. Here’s his itch.io account: http://earlygames.itch.io/)

After that I concentrated my efforts into organizing the disposition of the NPCs and what they are going to say, including the special NPCs, the quest-related ones, the save points (which are going to be shrine maidens, more on that soon) and the special tiles.

Special Tiles, or as we are calling them in-game, bodhitiles, are entities/deities that guard and protect each stage of the game. I’ve designed them inspired by gods and deities from Shinto, Buddhism and Hinduism, according to each one’s characteristics and remarkable traits. Here’s the first one, that the player is going to meet at the very beginning:

So far, almost half of the story is finished on storyboard and 1/3 of it is organized in events with ID and specific dialogue lines for each character.

Level-wise, I’ve devoted a bit of my time into making the interior of the walls more convincing in terms of what I want them to be: I wished for them to be filled with ectoplasm, as the concept of the Ever-floating Comet illustrates this (the comet is not rock solid, it’s filled with ectoplasm, which is the substance that allows the ghosts to have a “physical” body). So I tested a bit here and there and arrived at these sets of animated tiles:

Finally, as you can see, we’ve animated our logo in a similar fashion that it’s going to be on the title screen. I’ve also updated it on our indieDB page and it’s a pinned tweet here:

On the next devlog, I’ll talk more about the shrine maidens. Thanks for reading!

DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »

ERMEHGERD cuteness overload! Can't wait to see this game in all of its greatness and glory!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic