Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:44:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Good tool for writing a user manual?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Good tool for writing a user manual?  (Read 873 times)
sonder
« on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »

Been using Trello for the time being but finding I'd really like a deeper heirearchy, and something that will let me create pages quickly and allows the reader to navigate using a tree-style TOC ala PDF's and CHM's
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:43:11 PM by kidfingers » Logged
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »

Doxygen. Markup and can export to html for your web manual as well as rtf and chm.

sonder
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »

Doxygen. Markup and can export to html for your web manual as well as rtf and chm.

I know of that.  Can we pretend that I'm not documenting an API, but writing a user manual for a synthesizer or something?  I really just want to give people the lay of the land and let the source itself fill in the holes.  There's not much of it.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »

Possibly naive answer, but Word lets you "link" to places within the page for navigation. Would that work?
JohnsyJohnsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »

TeX
LaTeX

here's some people giving tips how to make manuals using Tex
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3852/latex-template-for-a-technical-reference-manual-user-guide
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:32 AM »

Ew. LaTeX is great and all but "create pages quickly" it will not.

@kidfingers, can you be more specific on your requirements/tradeoffs? Depending on how much horsepower you need, check out RST (ReStructured Text) for writing and Gitit for serving it up.

I'd suggest straight-up Markdown, but a TOC is problematic.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
sonder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »

Ew. LaTeX is great and all but "create pages quickly" it will not.

Also, the Windows distribution is nearly 2GB ... ??  my internet is not so great.  It will time out.

@kidfingers, can you be more specific on your requirements/tradeoffs? Depending on how much horsepower you need, check out RST (ReStructured Text) for writing and Gitit for serving it up.

I'd suggest straight-up Markdown, but a TOC is problematic.

Well, I was looking for a program.  I know of Markdown and if I go with making it a Wiki I would write it in that.

Really anything anyone can suggest that can be of some help.  I don't know what I want, I just want to try out what other people use.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »

Well, I was looking for a program.

You mean, like...Word? :D If it's a WYSIWYG you want, you won't get much better than that short of some user-manual-specific customware (I'm not aware of any myself). But plain-text rendered to HTML is probably a safer bet.

Perhaps if you provide some examples of manuals similar to what you hope to achieve, the board can offer some more targeted tech options for getting there.

Personally, if I were to make a manual, I'd just start writing it and worry about formatting later. Getting the content right is so much more important.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:17:29 PM by Cheezmeister » Logged

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Vanin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »

I agree with using a Wiki. Stick it somewhere you can keep it always updated. Anyone that's going to use a synth is going to be fine with using the internet =)

Working on Spellcaster Adventure- a hybrid word RPG inspired by Boggle and PuzzleQuest
Check out our Kickstarter!
And Steam Greenlight!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic