Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:54:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRunegate, added gameplay video
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Runegate, added gameplay video  (Read 11397 times)
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:07:12 AM »

Runegate
Runegate is a roguelike about defeating death. Prove your virtue as you face the trials of the underworld. Overcome your enemies through fast-paced and tactical combat.

Key features:
  • Fast-paced combat system that is easy to get into yet hard to master.
  • Enemies with unique movesets that requires different strategies to be defeated.
  • Central combo system, rewarding skill and taking risks.
  • Explore vast dungeons filled with secrets.

The game is still in early development. I will continiously post updates and media of the development progress in this thread. Runegate is made in Unity.

Here are the latest images showing of the current state of the game:

Gameplay video of the current state of the game.

Short gameplay gif.

Older:

A room from the dungeon tileset.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to check Runegate out. Any feedback is always greatly appreciated!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/OBlomqvist
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/runegate
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:36:13 AM by Oscar Blomqvist » Logged

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:33:57 AM »

This may be personal taste, but I find purely top-down perspective to be limiting and unappealing. Like, I know your warrior has a little action roll, but it just looks visually confusing from that angle. And it took me a good long while to visually parse the skeleton mini-boss for what it was.

I do like the general quality of animations though. And I like the subtle little floor animation you have on the mini-boss animation.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »

This may be personal taste, but I find purely top-down perspective to be limiting and unappealing. Like, I know your warrior has a little action roll, but it just looks visually confusing from that angle. And it took me a good long while to visually parse the skeleton mini-boss for what it was.

I do like the general quality of animations though. And I like the subtle little floor animation you have on the mini-boss animation.
First, thanks a lot for taking your time to give some constructive feedback.

I definitely see what you mean about the top-down perspective. I actually agree with you, it's not my favourite style either, especially from an aesthetical point of view. So why I have choosen it? Two reasons:
  • It lends itself well to the gameplay mechanics, especially combat. I feel that top-down gives the player very precise controls.
  • I'm a solo developer with limited time, and with top-down perspective I only need to worry about one angle when drawing the sprites. Since I am lazy and don't want to compromise with gameplay and content, I save time by choosing this perspective.

So yeah, if I was working with one or more full-time artists I would probably go with an isometric perspective alá Bastion. Now my challenge is to make the top-down perspective look as visually appealing and clear as possible.

A lot of people has a hard time seeing the skeleton they way it is supposed to, which is something I can take away for future characters.

I'm happy you find the animations to have a decent quality!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:19:25 AM by Oscar Blomqvist » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »

While the pure-top-down perspective has a tendency not to look great, I think you've pulled it off pretty well.  I think the animation on the skeleton is really nice, and that roll looks good as well.  I look forward to seeing this develop!   Coffee

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »

While the pure-top-down perspective has a tendency not to look great, I think you've pulled it off pretty well.  I think the animation on the skeleton is really nice, and that roll looks good as well.  I look forward to seeing this develop!   Coffee
Happy you think it looks OK, that's encouraging. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

I kind of agree about the top-down thing - but I think you can make it work. You already have, to a degree - with further polishing, I think you can make the characters/enemies more recognizable. I wonder if zooming out a bit would help? Like, broaden the scope of the players view? It would make the sprites slightly smaller, and less distinct - not sure if that would help or make things worse.

Following Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »

i like the perspective as well. reminds me of mageslayer and other old top-down hack n slash games. it also looks pretty atmospheric with the lighting and the subtle touches on floor and walls.

gonna be keeping an eye on this game.
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

Very cool looking project! Makes me a little nostalgic about my DOS days.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »

I kind of agree about the top-down thing - but I think you can make it work. You already have, to a degree - with further polishing, I think you can make the characters/enemies more recognizable. I wonder if zooming out a bit would help? Like, broaden the scope of the players view? It would make the sprites slightly smaller, and less distinct - not sure if that would help or make things worse.

Following Smiley

Here is a full screenshot, just to give a clear picture of the players view. I sometimes get the feeling that everything could be slightly smaller as well, definitely something I will play around with. Appreciate the feedback.

i like the perspective as well. reminds me of mageslayer and other old top-down hack n slash games. it also looks pretty atmospheric with the lighting and the subtle touches on floor and walls.

gonna be keeping an eye on this game.
Thanks! It's uplifting that you mention that, it is exactly the point with those details and subtle effects.

Very cool looking project! Makes me a little nostalgic about my DOS days.
I'm pleased to hear that  Smiley Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:56:12 PM by Oscar Blomqvist » Logged

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 05:38:56 PM »

Like others have said, the atmosphere looks great! Personally I don't have a problem with the top down graphics, I think it looks pretty good! My only problem was with the skeleton, for whatever reason, I had a hard time telling that the sword was a sword and not part of his body until he swung it. I like how the skeleton tilts his head up a bit so you can see his face though! Following Smiley
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 11:53:17 PM »

Like others have said, the atmosphere looks great! Personally I don't have a problem with the top down graphics, I think it looks pretty good! My only problem was with the skeleton, for whatever reason, I had a hard time telling that the sword was a sword and not part of his body until he swung it. I like how the skeleton tilts his head up a bit so you can see his face though! Following Smiley
Encouraging to hear that you like the graphics and atmosphere. Thanks for the feedback about the skeleton, you are not the first having a bit of a problem to identify his parts clearly. Something for me take away for future characters.

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 04:30:39 AM »

Following

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »

Following
Thanks mate Coffee

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »

Walk and idle animation for new zombie enemy. As always, I highly value any feedback.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »

Having a hard time deciding on the walk animation of the enemy I am currently working on. I want to create a limping zombie walk animation. Here are my three current alternatives:

Original

Extended limping.

Extended limping and more forward front leg.

I appreciate any comment in regards to which one looks best and captures that limping undead feel.

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »

Having a hard time deciding on the walk animation of the enemy I am currently working on. I want to create a limping zombie walk animation. Here are my three current alternatives:

Original

Extended limping.

Extended limping and more forward front leg.

I appreciate any comment in regards to which one looks best and captures that limping undead feel.

I'm no artist but I feel like the right leg (the zombie's right) is moving too quickly towards the body. Maybe make it move slower and let it stick out of the body a little bit longer as if he is dragging that leg around.

The skeleton on the first post looks great btw. Following.

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »

I'm no artist but I feel like the right leg (the zombie's right) is moving too quickly towards the body. Maybe make it move slower and let it stick out of the body a little bit longer as if he is dragging that leg around.

The skeleton on the first post looks great btw. Following.

Thanks a lot for the input. I think I understand what you mean. Having it stick out longer and move out/in slower would make it clearer that he is limping and dragging the leg behind him.

Here is the zombie in action, including its death animation.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 06:23:59 AM »

Waaay to long since I posted any updates about Runegate! Fight against a skeleton enemy, showing how the basic combat can look. Hopefully will be posting a lot more from now on!

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

I have never been a fan of the strict top down view, but I think in this case it looks good, I have had no problem figuring out the shapes of the enemies and the overall feel of the game is nice. I would definitely play it. You got yourself a follower Beer!

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 08:49:55 AM »

I have never been a fan of the strict top down view, but I think in this case it looks good, I have had no problem figuring out the shapes of the enemies and the overall feel of the game is nice. I would definitely play it. You got yourself a follower Beer!

Thanks a lot. Reading things like this gives me extra motivation, appreciate it! Beer!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic