Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:09:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRunegate, added gameplay video
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Runegate, added gameplay video  (Read 10395 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »

Hey, good to see that is still still alive!  Smiley
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 11:59:19 PM »

A room from the dungeon tileset.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »

WIP eyeball enemy. Current states of attack, being hit and death animations.

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »

This game looks great! I'm a fan of the combat as well.

I think the eyeball enemy would benefit from a shadow - especially a shadow that moves (when attacking) and/or changes in size (when moving) to give the illusion of more 3D movement.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »

This game looks great! I'm a fan of the combat as well.

I think the eyeball enemy would benefit from a shadow - especially a shadow that moves (when attacking) and/or changes in size (when moving) to give the illusion of more 3D movement.

Happy to hear you like it! Beer! That is a good idea, I will experiment with it.

ButtonSoft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 03:50:36 AM »

Hi Oscar

Having developed a top-down game I can appreciate the difficulty in getting the animation of the player and enemies right. A top down view isn't something a player would normally have and one has to strike a balance between what people think they should be seeing and what it actually looks like.

Looking back, here are some of the things we did not get right:
- Animations have no legs (we thought we would add the legs afterwards but it turned out to be a non trivial task to animate it separately from the torso).
- Characters are not hunched forward enough, especially when running.
- Shoulders don't move enough.
- Melee combat is not properly animated and fighting styles are completely absent.

Enough about my project now, let's chat about yours.
I immediately felt compelled to play your game once I saw the fighting animations. I also love the way you are handling the "dispersion" of loot and I hope you don't mind if I apply this method in my game. One drawback to this method would be the necessity to add collision checking to the objects since they can potentially move into an inaccessible spot.
I think your game will do really well with loud combat sound effects and I'd love to try out a demo sometime.

Keep up the good work Smiley
André

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:02:03 AM by ButtonSoft » Logged

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 04:33:51 AM »

Hi Oscar

Having developed a top-down game I can appreciate the difficulty in getting the animation of the player and enemies right. A top down view isn't something a player would normally have and one has to strike a balance between what people think they should be seeing and what it actually looks like.

Looking back, here are some of the things we did not get right:
- Animations have no legs (we thought we would add the legs afterwards but it turned out to be a non trivial task to animate it separately from the torso).
- Characters are not hunched forward enough, especially when running.
- Shoulders don't move enough.
- Melee combat is not properly animated and fighting styles are completely absent.

Enough about my project now, let's chat about yours.
I immediately felt compelled to play your game once I saw the fighting animations. I also love the way you are handling the "dispersion" of loot and I hope you don't mind if I apply this method to my game. One drawback to this method would be the necessity to add collision checking since it can potentially move into an inaccessible spot.
I think your game will do really well with loud combat sound effects and I'd love to try out a demo sometime.

Keep up the good work Smiley
André

Hey André

Nice man, I checked out your trailer on steam, and I think the game looked fun. I have a sweet spot for local multiplayer games Smiley. Agreed with that the game could use legs and more movement animations in general, but other aspects where spot on, such as the lighting, blood splatter, particle effects and the "blood nerves" vignette when taking damage. I particularly liked how you handled fire, something I have found to be very hard with top-down perspective.
Yeah, the top-down perspective can be really tough. I've had many personal experiences with people understanding what is on the screen as something different from what I intended, such as mistaking barrels for shields on the ground for example. Getting these things right is something I am still learning about.

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, that is very helpful. I don't mind at all with you using my loot dispersion method, and yupp, loot going into walls and such is a bug I am currently having ^^ Fixing that is on my todo list.

Glad to hear you think it looks interesting. I'm currently working on a demo, will tell you as soon as it is ready.

Same to you, and good luck with your game.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 07:33:57 AM »

More work on the new eyeball enemy. This is the current state of its death animation. Also added a shadow that changes in size, after feedback from Kyuugatsu.

Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »

I love this!! The atmosphere looks great, and really seems to invite the need to pay attention. The sprite animations also look good, especially the sword attack. Overall  you're doing an awesome job! Following
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 12:39:25 AM »

I love this!! The atmosphere looks great, and really seems to invite the need to pay attention. The sprite animations also look good, especially the sword attack. Overall  you're doing an awesome job! Following

Thanks a lot man. Gentleman Happy you like it, that gives a me motivation.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »

New enemy and animation looks great!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 04:38:07 AM »

Awesome! Keep that motivation train going!
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »

New enemy and animation looks great!

Glad you think so! Thanks for the comment.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 05:35:41 AM »

Eyeball enemy complete. Here is a short gameplay gif showing of the current status of Runegate.

The combo system is a work in progress, but basically you will get a combo point for every cumulative enemy kill. Taking damage, or taking to long, breaks the combo. Combo points gives the player luck, which increases drop chance (combos is one few ways to gain items that restore health). One of the goals with the combo system is to reward risk taking and aggressive play.

ButtonSoft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »

I love how you can destroy the projectile instead of just dodging it. You should consider adding a tiny bit of homing to it or maybe speed it up a bit.

Also, I see the loot bounces off the wall. That looks really cool!

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »

I love how you can destroy the projectile instead of just dodging it. You should consider adding a tiny bit of homing to it or maybe speed it up a bit.

Also, I see the loot bounces off the wall. That looks really cool!

Appreciate your comment. Some of the projectiles in the game will be destroy-able by weapons, some can only be blocked by a shield, and others neither. I know that the projectile is slow and easily dodge-able. I will add harder versions of this enemy, as well as other ranged enemies, with faster projectiles and that predicts where the player is going for better aim. Homing projectiles is an interesting concept that I will explore, thanks for the idea.

Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

Woah the eyeball enemy is awesome! The projectile looks good too, and when it breaks the animation looks clean. I really like how you can destroy the projectile too. I agree with @buttonsoft, I think a homing one (maybe a harder enemy?) would be interesting as well.
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

Woah the eyeball enemy is awesome! The projectile looks good too, and when it breaks the animation looks clean. I really like how you can destroy the projectile too. I agree with @buttonsoft, I think a homing one (maybe a harder enemy?) would be interesting as well.

Thanks a lot.  Gentleman

Latest update: I have been working on adding traps. I'dd appreciate any input if it is clear that these are spike-traps on the floor.

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 12:37:32 PM »

Yes, I understood prior to reading the caption.
Maybe have an unsuspecting critter be impaled the first time you encounter them.

Take care,
fingerman
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »

Yes, I understood prior to reading the caption.
Maybe have an unsuspecting critter be impaled the first time you encounter them.

Take care,
fingerman

Alright, good to hear that. There will be sounds as well to clarify that it is a trap, but having something being impaled when introducing them is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic