Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:42:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRunegate, added gameplay video
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Runegate, added gameplay video  (Read 11406 times)
Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »

They don't really look like spikes, more like lights in the ground. Hmmm... is there a way you can make it pop out of the ground a bit? Not sure how that would look with that perspective thought, it might look weird.
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 12:49:49 AM »

They don't really look like spikes, more like lights in the ground. Hmmm... is there a way you can make it pop out of the ground a bit? Not sure how that would look with that perspective thought, it might look weird.

Uhm yea I was afraid of that, completely top-down can be a tricky perspective sometimes. Thanks a lot for telling me.

Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 10:07:54 PM »

Uhm yea I was afraid of that, completely top-down can be a tricky perspective sometimes. Thanks a lot for telling me.
[/quote]

I have an idea that might help. What if you had the white dots representing the spikes start flashing white, and then turn red when their up. Maybe you wouldn't be able to call them spikes anymore, but they could be like "hot dots?" (lol) or something to show that damage could be done their. The red could help show that.

Or... if you really want spikes you could keep them like they are but then have spikes pop out the sides so you can see them clearly. Might give a better understanding of what they are. And then you can add some small blood burst to emphasis that their spikes.
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »

yes you could make the spikes pop out an angle, perhaps the same angle as the top row of tiles in your dungeon

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Oscar Blomqvist

I have an idea that might help. What if you had the white dots representing the spikes start flashing white, and then turn red when their up. Maybe you wouldn't be able to call them spikes anymore, but they could be like "hot dots?" (lol) or something to show that damage could be done their. The red could help show that.

Or... if you really want spikes you could keep them like they are but then have spikes pop out the sides so you can see them clearly. Might give a better understanding of what they are. And then you can add some small blood burst to emphasis that their spikes.

Great ideas, thanks. I like the concept of having spiked pop out of the sides, as well as the ground. As you say, that will probably give a better understanding as to what it is. Will experiment with this. Smiley

yes you could make the spikes pop out an angle, perhaps the same angle as the top row of tiles in your dungeon

Yea that is definitely an option. I wanted to keep everything except for the walls completely top-down for consistency, but maybe it is better to forego this in some cases to make some elements more clear. Thanks for the comment  Coffee

Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »

No problem! I don't think going out of that top down element for the spikes will hurt you. I think the player might appreciate it more since it's more distinctive that they're spikes, and most likely ignore the fact that it's not in line with the top down style. Who knows, once you get some testing with it you'll get a better understanding if they fit in well.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »

Add shadows. The spikes will look like spikes if you add a shadow that implies height.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Krucho
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »

Your game looks awesome
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2016, 02:38:33 AM »

Add shadows. The spikes will look like spikes if you add a shadow that implies height.

Smart! Thanks for the tip, I will experiment with this.

Your game looks awesome

So happy to hear you think so, thanks a lot!  Coffee

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »

A new feature I have been starting implementing is item drops.

There are many kinds of items in the game, but I have started to focus on items with permanent upgrades, which work similar to items in binding of isaac. They provide the player with a specific upgrade, for example higher damage or faster movement speed, and the upgrade is received permanently.

Kanavall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2016, 08:04:49 AM »

I like the item drop! Very noticeable too that it's a pickup item too.
PirateFish
Level 0

:(){ :|: & };:

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »

It really looks good. Like the visual power behind the swing.
_glitch
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2016, 12:06:26 PM »

It looks very very cool
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »

I like the item drop! Very noticeable too that it's a pickup item too.

Thanks! Nice that you find it clear that it is pickup-able item.

It really looks good. Like the visual power behind the swing.

Happy to hear it, thanks man.

It looks very very cool

Thanks a lot!

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »

Working on the logic for items, as well as adding various items to the game. Still a lot of placeholder art.

PirateFish
Level 0

:(){ :|: & };:

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »

A Rougelike that actually tells what items does! Sounds good Smiley
Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 04:32:35 AM »

Uploaded a gameplay video of the current state of the game.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic