Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:10:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDuskers!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Duskers!  (Read 685 times)
krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »

Duskers is out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/254320/

Is anybody else playing it? What do you think?

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:32 AM »

Duskers is great! Easily my favourite game released so far this year. It is so deeply atmospheric, stylish, and tense. The use of the command-line interface is such a stroke of genius. The game oscillates between periods of very slowly paced and methodical work, and then sudden bursts of frantic action. Being at such a remove from the action, with such an indirect mode of control, means that you're always on the edge of watching things spiral into disaster. The rapid decay of your drones and their components ensures that you have to improvise and change your tactics constantly, which stops the game from becoming rote. It's so, so good.

It's hard to talk about though, aside from the brilliance of the basic premise, because so much of the game is built around the slow build of discovery. Finding new and horrible ways for things to go wrong is such a huge part of the fun. I mean, you could talk about them sure, but improvising in the face of a new and entirely unexpected danger is a pretty crucial part of the experience.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »

i've been keeping an eye on this gam and wishlisted it on steam but there's so much other stuff atm. just one question: seeing as it uses a command line interface, how important are typing skills to succeeding? i am not a super fast typer and am prone to typos, would that hamper me?
krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »

i've been keeping an eye on this gam and wishlisted it on steam but there's so much other stuff atm. just one question: seeing as it uses a command line interface, how important are typing skills to succeeding? i am not a super fast typer and am prone to typos, would that hamper me?

There's autofill for nearly everything. It works even better than what you have in most code editors. Also, there are ways of doing things more efficiently, like performing several commands simultaneously and manipulating multiple drones at the same time. I'm not a particularly fast typer myself, but the amount of text that you actually need to type yourself in critical situations is very limited. Besides, sometimes it contributes to the experience in a positive way: if you know that you will screw up once some agility is required, you just won't open the door until you're 100% sure that you will manage to get your drones out in time.

All in all, it's one of the best games with text input I have seen so far. I've failed many times, but I never felt like it was the fault of the command line.

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

ok, that's good to know.  Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »

hello i now have this game and i can confirm it is a very good game that should be enjoyed by players of all ages and around the world. thank you very much.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »

I've wishlisted Duskers, but too poor to try it out at the moment

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic