Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:46:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What to use for game development in C++
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What to use for game development in C++  (Read 4667 times)
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:52:42 AM »

I've been learning C++ recently (started around Christmas) and I feel I'm starting to get the hang of things. I've been wanting to get into game development for a while and I feel it's time to start pursuing my goal further by learning to program some simple games (I've mainly been doing WinAPI stuff up until now).

My question is this, what is the best library to use for simple, lo-fi games development. I want something fairly bare bones and flexible, I don't want a game engine, just a simple graphics library.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:05:45 PM by Derek » Logged
Kekskiller
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »

SDL! It's simple and effective, yet flexible.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:05:42 AM »

I've never used SDL and I'm also still learning, but, from what I've heard, Allegro is easier. It's what I'm using and I'm liking it. Smiley
mirosurabu
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:57:24 AM »

Allegro.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:42:04 AM »

SFML? http://www.sfml-dev.org/
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »

I've tried SDL, Allegro, and SFML. By far, SFML was the easiest for me to learn and get started with. All of them are good choices though, I think.

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »

I'd back SDL, it has a pretty decent range of features and plays nice with other platforms.  It also has some decent support for handling OpenGL which you may want to pickup at a later date.

Its all horses for courses though, you can do most things in most libraries now and its all down to personal taste, so good luck! Smiley

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »

SDL

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »

OpenGL. I just use SDL for handling input and opening a window. When I get a little more experienced with OS specific code I might strip out SDL altogether and write my own wrappers.
go
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »

What about IndieLib ? Is it as reliable as SDL, Allegro and SFML ?

I've been mostly using SDL so far, but I was thinking about trying IndieLib for my next project.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

When I last used SDL a few years back, it was pretty lacking in audio functionality. Have they improved that, or is it still best to use a separate audio library?

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »

I didn't have any trouble using audio with pygame, but in C++ I still use FMOD instead of SDL for sound.
mirosurabu
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

SMFL, ClanLib and IndieLib (which I didn't try yet, but guessing from example code) are more high-level than Allegro and SDL, which means quicker, easier and ready to use. But the original poster said he doesn't want "game engine" so I thought these might not be what he's looking for.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »

I use wxWidgets and pretty much hand roll everything... but I suppose I've done this for a bit longer.

I like turtles.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »

Yeah, for tools wxWidgets is a great C++ library. As a beginner I don't think you can go wrong with either SDL or Allegro, but SDL forces you to jump through some pretty quirky hoops that might seem unfamiliar or counter-intuitive to initialise your application, iirc - sbeenawhile'nallthat.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »

I've had people recommend me Allegro but looking at the site there doesn't seem to be libraries for MSVC++ made up and I have no idea how to compile the source myself.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »

What about IndieLib ? Is it as reliable as SDL, Allegro and SFML ?

I've been mostly using SDL so far, but I was thinking about trying IndieLib for my next project.

Last I checked, IndieLib isn't cross-platform.
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:40:48 AM »

ClanLib
Heh.. It's been a loooong time old friend.

For C/C++, SDL (with support libs such as SDL_image, SDL_sound, etc) plus OpenGL for rendering is dynamite. Although you might want to pick up the OpenGL super bible to get a good footing in OpenGL before going that route..

Allegro 5 also looks very promising (D3D/OpenGL dual renderer!), but is still very Alpha/Beta stage as far as I know.

If you need a very simple, yet complete SDL/OpenGL example game to learn from, check out my own gnat's tetris machine. It has rendering setup code for both 2D and 3D. Feel free to pick and choose snippets or even use it as basecode if you like. Wink

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 03:13:22 AM »

It's extremely important that it's cross platform as I'll be getting a macbook soon and using it as my primary computer. I'll have XP on there as well but I'd really prefer to develop in OSX.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 04:38:52 AM »

Then you'll want SDL, cause then you're covered, also, I'll not secretly disapprove of everything you do because you'll be using what i use.

and all said and done, /thats/ whats important...

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic