Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:58:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite horror game?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Favorite horror game?  (Read 2637 times)
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm currently developing a horror game, so I wanted to ask you: what is your favorite horror game and why?

For me it would be Silent Hill 1 on Playstation - there was something special about it...being lost in the fog, the feeling of loneliness, dream-like quality, amazing story...And the encounter with the pyramid head was truly terrifying...

What about you?

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »

For me it would be Silent Hill 1 on Playstation - there was something special about it...being lost in the fog, the feeling of loneliness, dream-like quality, amazing story...And the encounter with the pyramid head was truly terrifying...
that's silent hill 2 on the ps2, not 1, pyramid head was a representation of James guilt and his deep want to atone chasing him down, which is why it was modeled after the image he had seen of the towns executioner. (which is why it's retarded that they brought pyramid head and the nurses/etc back in later games as in 2 they were there because they were part of James Psyche manifesting in the town)

Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece in every way, though i did enjoy and like the story in 1 also, 2 is just...better

a few runners up:
Alone in the Dark (PC, 1992 version)
System Shock (PC)
Corpse Party (was PSP but there's a steam version as of a few weeks ago)
SOMA has fantastic atmosphere and story but not much of a horror game (PC)
Clock Tower (SNES)
Penumbra Overture (PC) (I didn't like the other games in the series)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:01:33 PM by Raptor85 » Logged

-Fuzzy Spider
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »

that's silent hill 2 on the ps2, not 1, pyramid head was a representation of James guilt and his deep want to atone chasing him down, which is why it was modeled after the image he had seen of the towns executioner. (which is why it's retarded that they brought pyramid head and the nurses/etc back in later games as in 2 they were there because they were part of James Psyche manifesting in the town)

Oh, you're probably right! It was such a long time ago...And yes, Alone in the Dark was a revolutionary game, I remember it well...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:15:00 AM »

This is actually incorrect. Entire series is built upon the fear of circumission which is represented by pyramid head giant knife.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 03:07:02 AM »

System Shock 2 is at the top of my list purely because it's SS2. It's ahead of Splatterhouse, Undying and Realms Of the Haunting which is really good, you should check that one out because only people who're refugees from nineties PC gaming remember that one and it deserves to be a bit more known. I've also got a soft spot for Michigan (Report From Hell, not the state) which is bizarre, might cause you to question why you're playing it when one of your reporters gets killed because you didn't know what to do and it may or may not have been developed by a drunkard. It might come off looking one rung higher than a Simple Series game on the welfare gaming ladder but it's at least worth watching a Youtube playthrough of it.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »

Fatal Frame 2 is one of my personal favorites. there's this sense of dread throughout the entire game, that hasn't really been captured in any of the sequels. it's a different flavor from silent hill & resident evil, much less psychological and more classic japanese horror.

I don't play many horror games tho, most of the ones I've played are pretty mainstream. would be cool to hear some lesser known stuff in here.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »

I wanna say vampire the masquerade: bloodlines or bloodborne. but are those really "horror" games or just "horror themed" games? i mean i don't find either of them particularly scary and i don't like them for their scary elements. my favorite resident evil is 4 which is noticeably less horror and more action than the earlier gams in the series. WELP.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 04:42:40 PM »

silent hill 2 is the best standard "horror" game, but i appreciate it more for its atmosphere and tone more than the actual game part.

i think the five nights at freddy series is absolutely stellar at invoking a sense of dread w/ some cool world building, but again, playing it is my least favoritve part. i really appreciate how the mechanics actually make it more scary tho, always cool to see a horror game pull that off.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 02:42:34 AM »

since you're making a 2d sidescrolling horror game ,i wanted to direct you to this game: Distraint
Can't say it's my favorite horror game (Resident evil being my favorite serie) , but this one managed to impact me emotionally and the story was good.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:55:00 AM »

Eternal Darkness on N64. Because all but two of your characters get slaughtered at the end of their level. The first level character gets possessed by an ancient evil turning into the main villian for the rest of the game. Insanity effects make you see horrible things, your character being slaughtered, and even convince you your memory card was formatted when you went to save Wink

Little things too - reading texts of books would move from regular historical descriptions to descriptions cannibalistic feasts. The screen might just tilt 5 degrees to the side. The volume from your TV suddenly stops working. The colors are just a little.. off. Tried its hardest to mess with you the person.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 05:07:51 AM »

Dead Space 1 or SOMA (which I haven't yet finished)

UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »

since you're making a 2d sidescrolling horror game ,i wanted to direct you to this game: Distraint
Can't say it's my favorite horror game (Resident evil being my favorite serie) , but this one managed to impact me emotionally and the story was good.

Thanks, looks interesting.

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:27 PM »

+1 for Silent Hill. Also gonna throw Dead Space 1 in there.

Not sure if Alien Isolation qualifies as Horror Game, but it's my fav "scary" game I played to date. There aren't many moments in the game where you feel safe. You're permanently vulnerable and on edge, especially if the Alien is close by. I found myself hiding in lockers for minutes. This only changed slightly when I got the flame thrower and had an effective way to confront it and scare it away. But the game does a good job of balancing your resources IMO. I never felt overpowered or really in control of the situation.

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »

Eternal Darkness on N64. Because all but two of your characters get slaughtered at the end of their level. The first level character gets possessed by an ancient evil turning into the main villian for the rest of the game. Insanity effects make you see horrible things, your character being slaughtered, and even convince you your memory card was formatted when you went to save Wink

Eternal Darkness was on the N64?
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »

No, it was a gamecube exclusive, but it was originally planned for The N64.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »

Not sure if Alien Isolation qualifies as Horror Game, but it's my fav "scary" game I played to date.
just because it's not supernatural and full of jump scares doesn't mean it's not horror, hell, Alien is generally my choice when asked what my favorite horror movie is.

Oh, and since it's mentioned "side scrolling horror", well, that's EXACTLY what Clock Tower on the SNES is in my first post, and it's an amazing example too.  That game legitimately keeps you on edge all the time.

-Fuzzy Spider
Skarcasm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »

I grew up on RE2 on the N64 and loved RE4 after, despite the more actiony direction.

More recently I loved pretty much everything about Bloodborne. One of my favorite things atmospherically was moving through streets of areas and hearing panicky citizens whispering behind their closed doors. They are scared to death of what's outside and the best part is that you don't really know what that is yet. Well, it's a lot of large vicious things, but it gave me great anticipation to hear their fear of the outside. Also, ridiculous bosses.

Wink
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »

bloodborne has amazing atmosphere no doubt, but it's not really a "scary" game to me. i never felt very uncomfortable playing it (which is kinda my baseline for a "horror" game), even when it was trying to fuck with my mind with all those nearly incomprehensible plot twists and what not. that's not a slight against the game btw, it's one of my all time faves.

but i guess bborne is a cross between gothic horror and cosmic horror. both of those are more "contemplative" horror genres that aren't necessarily out to evoke primal fear in the way i'm thinking of. welp.
Magurp244
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »

Silent Hill 1's atmosphere as a game was really great, that and Alone in the Dark. I found the creeping corruption in SH 1 & 2 to be a particularly interesting approach. A few other games to add to the list:

Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Pony Island
Mad Father
Slenderman
Outlast
Among the Sleep
Yumi Nikki
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »

bloodborne has amazing atmosphere no doubt, but it's not really a "scary" game to me. i never felt very uncomfortable playing it (which is kinda my baseline for a "horror" game), even when it was trying to fuck with my mind with all those nearly incomprehensible plot twists and what not. that's not a slight against the game btw, it's one of my all time faves.

but i guess bborne is a cross between gothic horror and cosmic horror. both of those are more "contemplative" horror genres that aren't necessarily out to evoke primal fear in the way i'm thinking of. welp.

most of my discomfort in souls games comes from the gameplay systems and not the graphical/story presentation. the idea of losing all the souls saved up can make things pretty tense, and there's lots of small-scale waiting in the combat that builds up over time.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic