Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:13:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite horror game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Favorite horror game?  (Read 2696 times)
MESRecords
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 06:29:26 AM »

Silent Hill for the atmosphere and Story - Amnesia for the horror factor.
P.T. was looking to be the perfect cross between the two. Very unfortunate that it got cancelled.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »

P.T. is a good one, it's a shame there's no way to get it anymore  Sad

bruce_stallion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »

Alien Isolation on  Nightmare mode  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »

I wanna say vampire the masquerade: bloodlines. but are those really "horror" games or just "horror themed" games?
OCEAN HOTEL

zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »

I love horror/themed games but most of them made me, at best, uneasy...even classics like Silent Hill. Not really scared.

With two exceptions: Thief The Dark Project, while not exactly a horror game had enough scare elements and because of the 1st person lurking, groundbreaking for the time positional audio and character powerlessness there were moments of genuine terror. Sneaking through a crypt full of undead without any light source, genuine "behind you!" jump scares aplenty and then there was that level with plant/tree things which only moved when you were not looking at them. This was beyond terrifying.

And yeah, Alien Isolation. Probably the only game ever that I simply can not play for long because it`s just too much (and the worst is when nothing actually happens). I actually had an Alien-phobia as a kid and it`s all back now in one huge flashback. Kudos to the design team, that gameworld is just unreally, awesomely spot on (even if the gameplay
itself is heavily scripted)

Also honourable mentions go to classic text-adventure games like Lurking Horror and Anchorage. Some powerful moments there too.
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »

Alien Isolation on  Nightmare mode  Shocked Shocked Shocked

I didn't even bother trying. Medium was hard enough for me   Who, Me?

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »

true story: ive had that game for over a year but am too much of a coward to play it lol.
bruce_stallion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 05:11:09 AM »

there is one specific bit where you turn all the power back on, thinking 'maybe things are gonna start going well now'. DRAMATIC PAUSE
Then you hear ALIEN SCREAM
and all the power cuts off again
and the penderecki strings start up

and that's when I shat meself

sooooooooooooooooooooo goood

bruce_stallion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 05:11:55 AM »

that's just a soundtrack video btw, no spoilers

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

I think the Resident Evil Remake is probably the best classic style survival horror game out there. If you haven't played it, you really should. I'm crossing fingers that the RE2 remake will be just as brilliantly made. (though RE2 aged a lot better than the original Resident Evil anyway, so its not really that big a deal if they blow it with the remake I suppose)

It wasnt just a visual update to the original Resident Evil, it had a bunch of little gameplay additions and tweaks that overall changed the game up quite a bit. The whole thing is super atmospheric and it uses the static cameras with a lot of confidence.

Its out on Steam too, so if you haven't played it before, do yourself a favor and rectify this.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »

Its out on Steam too, so if you haven't played it before, do yourself a favor and rectify this.

fair warning tho: the port is more horrible than the zombies in the game and may have serious performance issues if your pc isn't good.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

hahaha so true, RE6 and RE r2 running smoother than both RE remake.
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 12:04:23 AM »

the port is more horrible than the zombies in the game and may have serious performance issues if your pc isn't good.

Can`t believe it`s possible to make a PC remake in 2016 and still mess it up. What is it with Nippon devs and PCs?

I played the Gamecube version and still think it`s one of the most beautiful games ever made. The renders/light were just out of this world and nailed the mood perfectly. It wasn`t as much a "scary" game but uber-melancholic, for me at least, a la EA Poe. Resident Evil Zero that followed was in a similar class.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:46:42 AM by zadokallen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »

they probably just don't care. the japanese game industry is very console centric in the first and consoles are where most of the money is at. most of the time it's probably just a question of "can we compile this to windows?" "ok then let's do that and put it on steam to make a few extra bucks". these ports probably wouldn't even be happening if steam didn't exist and if current gen consoles didn't use x86 hardware architecture.
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »

Resident Evil 1, 4 (which is not quite a horror).
Right now there is Alien: isolation awaiting me to complete Witcher 3: Blood and wine. I hope it's good (but I've heard that it has some issues with performance on PS4)
Ethan50
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 03:42:43 AM »

Pitching in my five cents: Resident Evil series, Silent Hill 2 and choosing from the newer games Alien : Isolation and Until Dawn. I really enjoy jump scares.
UnfoldGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »

+1 to Resident Evil series. Do you guys remember how revolutionary RE1 was? Also, when I saw RE2 my jaw dropped. How awesome was that? I miss this 'magic' in video games. It's one of the reasons I decided to get into game dev.

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:52 AM »

+1 to Resident Evil series. Do you guys remember how revolutionary RE1 was? Also, when I saw RE2 my jaw dropped. How awesome was that? I miss this 'magic' in video games. It's one of the reasons I decided to get into game dev.

That magic is called "childhood", I suppose. Smiley Sorry if I'm wrong.
BTW, Resident Evil 0 inventory mechanics is garbage. Almost dropped the game because of it. OK, I get it - you have only 6 slots (even if you carry 6 pieces of paper), but why would you remove chests from the game? It's so annoying - to run through the whole mansion to get that stupid grappling hook.
Enjoyed the game, though.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 03:16:46 AM »

Backtracking has been an integral part of the game forever.
Resident Evil 0 tried to revert back to the roots of the original and did that brilliantly.

Resident 2 was more action oriented and had little horror (at least for me).

Yeah.
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »

Backtracking has been an integral part of the game forever.
Resident Evil 0 tried to revert back to the roots of the original and did that brilliantly.

Resident 2 was more action oriented and had little horror (at least for me).

Resident Evil 1 had chests.
I like Resident Evil 0 because of its horror nature, but there are plenty of stupid things in the game. Especially dialogues. This episode in the end, when *spoilers ahead*
-----
Rebecca and Billy are standing infront of the mansion from the 1st Resident Evil. They've survived in hell. But nah, Rebecca is like: "Oh, it's that spooky mansion in the woods that our team had to investigate! Gotta check it out alone ASAP!"
Moreover, in RE1 she's afraid of damned zombies and got nearly killed by a hunter (yeah, even though she killed dozens of them in RE0).

------
*spoiler end*

For me, RE0 is a 8/10 game, but it's only because of its atmosphere. But it's just my opinion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic