Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:07:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCoded Universe - Cyberpunk Love Letter to Mario RPGs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coded Universe - Cyberpunk Love Letter to Mario RPGs  (Read 1950 times)
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:03:53 AM »

DevLog: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54417.0

All Prototype Downloads: http://gamejolt.com/games/coded-universe-prototype/150223

Prototype 2 (HTML5)
This prototype contains all enemy encounters and mechanics of Chapter 1. Placeholder graphics and music are still in place, and cutscenes are not in yet.

Prototype 1 (HTML5)
This prototype is an early test demo of the game's first level, complete with terrible MS Paint placeholder graphics, as well as placeholder music. The point of this demo is to receive feedback on the game's battle system.

"Coded Universe is a turn-based cyberpunk fantasy RPG inspired by Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, taking place in an artificially created world inhabited by sentient AI. All was (mostly) peaceful in this land until a mysterious band of assassins, called the Sparks, learned how to hack and manipulate the very world they live in. It is up to best friends Kleeg and Cyu, later joined by a rogue agent named Batch, to put a stop to their plans of world domination.
The player must be fully involved at all times in Coded Universe's turn-based combat system. Execute each move's unique action command to increase its effectiveness, and guard against enemy attacks to preserve your precious hitpoints. And if things aren't going your way, change the very rules of the battlefield in your favor with an arsenal of hacking abilities! Slow down time, negate enemy defenses, and more!"

In this thread I will be posting prototype builds of Coded Universe for testing purposes and feedback. Please leave feedback below.

Game Art for Cyu (so that you won't think that the game will look as ugly as the early builds)

All constructive feedback is very valuable to us to help improve the game!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:48:48 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »

Link to prototype fixed.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »

Hey, finished playing the prototype! REALLY enjoying progress thus far. A couple of comments about the battle system:

1. As soon as you start, the player is bombarded with text. Seeing as how this is an action heavy (and by action I mean button pushing) game, I think it would better to show off different moves a battle at a time.

i.e. First set of orcs, practice hitting, second set of orcs, incorporate blocking, last set, incorporate dodging.

As soon as I see enemies, I am eager to play! Rather than diminish that adrenaline with impetuous reading, it may help the flow to simply incorporate quick statements from battle to battle, rather than dumping a trove of information at the start (which will most likely be forgotten as soon as the message box disappears).

2. Dodging/Blocking

I'm not exactly how time sensitive this was, but dodging was extremely easy. Almost too easy? I had a difficult time trying to identify the swings, yet I was able to dodge almost every single one of them.

Overall, I really enjoyed the demo! I can't wait to see how it looks/sounds/feels with official art, music, and sound!

eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:38:37 AM »

Lovin' it. I'm not entirely sure, but you could try zoom/panning the camera to whoever is moving. It adds a ton of drama.
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:43 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! We hope to have another prototype available soon.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »

Prototype 2 is now available, which contains all battles in Chapter 1! Please provide feedback!
http://gamejolt.com/games/coded-universe-prototype/150223

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:38:22 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »

I decided to merge all prototypes on GameJolt onto a single page in order to make things a little easier to keep track of. You can find them all on this page: http://gamejolt.com/games/coded-universe-prototype/150223

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »

I could not figure out the attack timings to save my life. IDK it might make sense to other people but I had no idea when I was supposed to hit X or Z.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »

I could not figure out the attack timings to save my life. IDK it might make sense to other people but I had no idea when I was supposed to hit X or Z.

Blocking: Press the spacebar, or left click the center of the screen or right click anywhere to initiate a block the moment before an attack strikes. It has a large timing window and both characters block at the same time, but this only halves damage. Tusami in the tutorial teaches you this before dodging.

Dodging: Press the character's designated key (Z or X), or click him, to have him dodge an incoming attack. Do it just before the attack lands, just like blocking. Dodging avoids all damage, but has a more strict timing window and you can only make one character dodge at a time. Dodging is taught in the tutorial right after blocking, and the game encourages that you use this more often than blocking after you learn enemy attacks.

Also, in the tutorial, the game slows down time at the moments that it expects you to respond. You lose this advantage after the tutorial, but partially get it back after the first boss.

In addition, when Tusami tells you to block, block. And when he tells you to dodge, dodge. If you dodge when he tells you to block or vice versa, Tusami gets annoyed.

I think I am going to strengthen the slow-down during the tutorial so that it is more clear. Dodging and blocking in this game isn't much different from dodging and blocking in fighting games, though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:30:32 PM by 11clock » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »

None of that made it through to me from the tut you have in game, I recommend watching someone else play it for the first time without saying anything and seeing what happens.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »

None of that made it through to me from the tut you have in game, I recommend watching someone else play it for the first time without saying anything and seeing what happens.

Odd, Tusami does tell you how to do everything. To quote the game itself:

"This will hurt, but you can press the spacebar the moment before I swing to reduce the damage you will receive by half."
*later*
"This time, press the corresponding button of the one that I attack the moment before I strike."

I'll make the slowdowns in the tutorial way stronger and remove those "Z" and "X" indicators before you are taught how to dodge(maybe even disable dodging until Tusami instructs it too). That should lead you in the right direction and make more sense of Tusami's teachings.

Can I also ask which prototype you were playing? The tutorial in Prototype 1 does suck, and I have been assuming that you played Prototype 2 (the one where you have an old guy named Tusami teaching you before the first level instead).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic