Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:26:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMonster Garden
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Monster Garden  (Read 44046 times)
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »

Today was more adding sounds and making the friendship system work.
I basically finished both, and the friendship-diary system feels like the right touch to spice up the garden and let you get to now your favorite monsters better.

The monster sounds are of course a game changer for dialogue, although some are loud or quiet so I have to individually edit and adjust them, I guess...  No No NO
But I also even had extra sounds for the bosses, which really bring them to life!  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:34 PM »

I finally started on the endings! Got 2.5 done (of the basic 16) today, but also had to spend some time setting up the stage and props. I think I can re-use the three scenes I made for all the endings.

Here's a screenshot from Feb's, where she holds a book release press conference:

See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

16 endings ?! that's quite a lot!
Do they vary from good to bad?

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »

Those are just the endings for if you befriended a monster or not. There are even more based on the unique combination of monsters in your party at the end of the game... I hope I can include them all!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »

Those are just the endings for if you befriended a monster or not. There are even more based on the unique combination of monsters in your party at the end of the game... I hope I can include them all!

So like will it be a string of endings, like, if you saved 7 monsters, you get to see those 7 cutscenes in succession?

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »

So like will it be a string of endings, like, if you saved 7 monsters, you get to see those 7 cutscenes in succession?

Yea, it's more like a string of little epilogues. So if you recruited AND befriended three monsters, you'll see their three special endings first. Then you'll see a few (usually more light-hearted) endings just based on the monsters in your garden at the end of the game (regardless of whether they're friends). I'm trying to make it so every player will see at least one ending, but theoretically you could have like 9 endings in a row. (Each is really short.)

AND, most endings still involve making a dialogue choice or two.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »

On a roll with the endings. Getting 2-3 done a day, which is an acceptable pace to finish by the 21st, then have a few days to touch up a few more things, add sounds and then add Steam API.
...Crap, okay that's kind of a lot actually.  Mock Anger  Gomez

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

Last two important endings. The only ones left now are for Seedling 3 characters, which you get so late the whole "becoming friends" thing is kinda pointless...but I think I'll make them anyway, and if you let them talk in the 3rd boss battle they become friends.

Anyway, here are Foofter and Drizzy's endings.

As you can see, Foofter's ending hints at a farming sim sequel...   Wink Gomez Gomez Gomez

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »

I set up the endings so it figures out which the player needs to see and shows them in order. After all the endings it goes to a credits screen, and then lets you go back to the title screen if you so choose.

(You can walk around, and then a white diamond appears and you can talk to it to go back to the title screen.)

Also did some small things that needed doing. Like made the color squares say different things after beat the second seedling. Also fixed a few bugs and added a few more sounds.

....SO close now!! Just a little more!!  Gomez Gomez Gomez Gomez Gomez Gomez

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »

Today I started the task I've been fearing: "integrating Steam API/SDK." I don't even know what that MEANS let alone how to do it in RPG Maker. So I've been reading stuff and trying to get it setup with the appropriate plugins. But most guides assume you're on a PC, and it's all so confusing...

If anyone has Steam experience and doesn't mind me asking questions, please let me know a way I can contact you. Thanks!!

I also made a new title screen. I need to look into how to animate it so Tifa can buzz in and out, but I guess it'll do for now...

And I made all the achievement icons (for each monster you recruit, and each special friendship ending you get at the end).
I just used the character portraits from the game, like so:

Down to the last week! (Then I'll be at IndieCade EU in Paris Oct. 30-31 if anyone else is there and wants to meet up / play Monster Garden!)

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »

"integrating Steam API/SDK." does sounds like something complicated.

I saw your tweet and though "Oh my god, how am I going to do that?"

Is it obligatory?

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »

Is it obligatory?

I was having trouble figuring out how much of it is obligatory... But I think I finally figured out the bare minimum of required steps thanks to this video:

Making the build for Steam seems surprisingly complicated but that video explains everything clearly, although a little fast.

Achievements are another story, but there's an RPG Maker plugin for it, thankfully.

I'm starting to feel that I can handle this.  Gomez

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »

I made a sign to explain the controls at the beginning, since every now and then people mention not knowing what they are. And dash is kinda useful to know about.

I also made little bookstands for the diaries. Players so far seem to enjoy the diary entries. Each monster should probably have more than two, but just two each for now.

I changed some lines at the party depending on whether monsters are a close friend or not, and I made it so that Foofter and Doofter can both attend the party, even though it's really unlikely that the player would end up in that situation.

Still gotta put in Mr. Bobo's and Tookis' noises, but waiting for some fixed versions from the sound designer first!

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »

Is it obligatory?

I was having trouble figuring out how much of it is obligatory... But I think I finally figured out the bare minimum of required steps thanks to this video:

Making the build for Steam seems surprisingly complicated but that video explains everything clearly, although a little fast.

Achievements are another story, but there's an RPG Maker plugin for it, thankfully.

I'm starting to feel that I can handle this.  Gomez

Cool! It will be of some help in the future.

I don't remember having any problem with the controls, but adding signs won't hurt anyone, right?

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »

Monster Garden now has a page on Steam! WOOHOO!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/719660/Monster_Garden/

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a build, but once I can do that I can test whether achievements and whatnot are working.

I also added Tookis' sounds, so now I'm just waiting for additional Bobo sounds since he's the most talkative character in the game, and then all sounds will be live. WOO!
It adds so much but gets insane if you scroll quickly through monster dialogue and they are all stacking on top of each other....but I like insane! Gomez

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

Catching up time! Smiley

Just a self-imposed deadline! I've been focusing on it the past three months and starting November wanna move onto preparing to release it. Trying to be strict and not drag on forever, even though there are many things I'd still like to do.  Smiley
You know:
A dream is a goal with a deadline.

I like JindrichP's idea of adding dark gradient behind the character dialogue box.  Though that might cover a significant portion of the screen.

Wow, so I tweeted about the updated techno-shack, and then someone messaged me with their improved version of the graphics and a guide to color theory!

Check out his version of the house, which is so Toejam & Earl and I love it:

I like that house.  In terms of style, yours fits also but there's something that yours is missing.  It may be that most of your visuals have either a solid outline of color gradients that give it a similar shadow effect.

In terms of sky, as a first impression, I definitely prefer the top one.  The bottom one seems different.  However, depending on the game, there might be certain places where that could fit.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback!

I like the portrait on top of the window, but I don't like the black gradient, and without that it's too busy.

I love the house, but I think it belongs in a different game with a different style. It is very Toejam & Earl style and cool, though!

And I included all four skies at different points in the game. The top one you mentioned is definitely the coolest and I am using it in all the marketing materials. Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »

I like the portrait on top of the window, but I don't like the black gradient, and without that it's too busy.
You can always use a different color! Grin

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:18 AM »

I guess I didn't mention this much before, but tomorrow's my last day in the house in the woods in Sweden called Spelkollektivet I've been living in for the past three months to focus on my game. Anywho, I think it really paid off, and I got done all of the following major goals:

-Make character portraits for dialogue √
-Make a monster party that happens at the end √
-Make secret "friendship" endings that can happen with each monster if you get to know them well after the party √
-Add sound effects for each monster to dialogue √
-Overhaul some basic graphics and gameplay systems √
-Add monster diaries √
-Send the game out to beta testers and make changes based on feedback √

So woohoo!

The only things left now are MORE secret endings, and a bunch of polish like little creatures that watch you as you walk by in Seedling 1 and stuff like that.

Also, on Monday and Tuesday (Oct. 30 & 31st) next week I'll be showing Monster Garden at "Show & Tell" at IndieCade: EU in Paris, so I'm hoping to get some more feedback on the game then.  Smiley

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »

I just got back from IndieCade: EU in Paris, where I showed Monster Garden at the Show & Tell. It was great. Only about 5 people got to play in the 2 hours I had (since the game takes 20-30 minutes), but most played all the way through and seemed to like it, and one said it was the cutest game she ever played and that it turned her bad day into a good one. Smiley

Here's me (in the pink hat) showing the game to someone offscreen:

And I've got 25 followers on Steam! Woohoo!

(The coming soon page has almost been around for a week now.)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic