Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:53:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMonster Garden
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Monster Garden  (Read 43653 times)
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »

Now when you complete one of the three seedlings the color of the clouds and sky changes.

In order:

OR

It was all kind extra polish, technically, but it was fun to play with and I really wanted to include this to make you feel like you're making dramatic progress with each level, and then end on the cool, blue night sky for the monster party.

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

I love this so much

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »

I love this so much

Haha thanks! I have to say it's a game changer to have the different wild backgrounds appear. I also tweaked a bunch of colors based on feedback I got, so color-wise the game is re-mastered!

See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

Okay, so it wasn't just the skies. Thanks to the wonderful color theory report I got, mentioned above, I also tweaked the colors of the dirt and stones, and changed the flowers a little.

Old on the left, new on the right:

I think it looks much more warm and inviting now...but is it too vivid and bright?! Gonna leave it for now but would be great to hear any feedback. Smiley

Also, expect a lot more progress and updates (like daily) starting in the next few days, 'cause I'm moving to the woods tomorrow to devote myself wholeheartedly to Monster Garden!  Kiss

Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »

Your use of color is very appealing, your combinations are very eclectic without being distracting. I love this and even more the monsters!

Devlog<br /><br />[/
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure I saw this one a long time ago and thought it was cool, but apparently I never responded so I've been missing out on the posts. Following! Smiley

P.S. Your front page post still has a link to Greenlight! Maybe a bit outdated.

Artifice Machine
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »

Hello, glad to see this is still going.

I don't think it's too vibrant, but my suggestion is that the ground could be more of a sandy color or just a bit lighter/paler.
This creates more contrast between the ground and the objects, so that everything can be seen more clearly.
Here's a sloppy color adjustment I made with gimp:

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »

Okay, so it wasn't just the skies. Thanks to the wonderful color theory report I got, mentioned above, I also tweaked the colors of the dirt and stones, and changed the flowers a little.

Old on the left, new on the right:

I think it looks much more warm and inviting now...but is it too vivid and bright?! Gonna leave it for now but would be great to hear any feedback. Smiley

Also, expect a lot more progress and updates (like daily) starting in the next few days, 'cause I'm moving to the woods tomorrow to devote myself wholeheartedly to Monster Garden!  Kiss

Do you plan to add simple shadows to foreground objects? I like the colors, but my eyes have issues parsing your screenshots

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2017, 11:38:32 PM »

Your use of color is very appealing, your combinations are very eclectic without being distracting. I love this and even more the monsters!

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure I saw this one a long time ago and thought it was cool, but apparently I never responded so I've been missing out on the posts. Following! Smiley

P.S. Your front page post still has a link to Greenlight! Maybe a bit outdated.

I just fixed that! Thanks for pointing it out.

Hello, glad to see this is still going.

I don't think it's too vibrant, but my suggestion is that the ground could be more of a sandy color or just a bit lighter/paler.
This creates more contrast between the ground and the objects, so that everything can be seen more clearly.
Here's a sloppy color adjustment I made with gimp:

Do you plan to add simple shadows to foreground objects? I like the colors, but my eyes have issues parsing your screenshots

Hm, I think making it paler might make it easier to parse, too. I wasn't planning to add shadows, but maybe a little might help... Thanks for the tips!

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »

Today I made 7 pieces of furniture for Seedling 3 and tried to re-use it in creative ways to get the most bang for my buck.

For example, the table becomes cafeteria-like seating in the bullying scene,

a medical table in Dr. Bobo's office,

and reading tables in Doofter's library.

I also tried to spread each piece of furniture across different paths the player might take so it'll look like each room is unique. Wink

Well, that was fun! Back to coding tomorrow to start getting the monster party set up. :D

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »

Okay, I got the basic party system set up. If you've beat Seedlings 1&2 and completed the 3rd, you can start the party in the Party Area!

Pre-party:

Then the decorations appear and all the monsters who moved into your garden appear, one by one:
(And different decorations appear depending on your monsters, including decorations that make it look like a face since it kinda looks like a dog head already...)

So I just gotta finish adding all the guests. Once they're all there, the special party music will start, you can talk to each monster, and once you've talked to them all, the party & game is over...OR IS IT!? Maybe you then get secret endings for each monster you managed to befriend over the course of the game!?

EDIT: Oh yea, and there is a Nintendo game called Monster Party! It was freaky and wonderful, but a little too hard for me as an action platformer.  Screamy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:51:41 AM by foofter » Logged

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »

This party sounds like the perfect way to end the game! =D Also curious about those secret endings.

This seedling 3 sounds like it has much more story and character interactions then the first two! At least compared to the version I played a long, long time ago. Cool!

The floor pattern there is the same from the shack door, isn't it? And similar to the ceiling in that Lennus II screenshot. It kind of reminds me of a lock system in a safe in a bank or something.

Also, happy you liked my version! (I'm stormfreestudio) =)

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »

This party sounds like the perfect way to end the game! =D Also curious about those secret endings.

This seedling 3 sounds like it has much more story and character interactions then the first two! At least compared to the version I played a long, long time ago. Cool!

The floor pattern there is the same from the shack door, isn't it? And similar to the ceiling in that Lennus II screenshot. It kind of reminds me of a lock system in a safe in a bank or something.

Also, happy you liked my version! (I'm stormfreestudio) =)

Yea the third seedling has the most dialogue, but is relatively passive, too (basically one big dialogue tree). It's funny that you mentioned locks, because I wanted it to make the player feel helpless and kind of trapped. So, perfect... Wink

And yes, I copied the floor pattern from the roof of Lennus II! Hehe. I copied many things from the Lennuses (but with some tweaks and changes, mainly because the tile size is different in SNES and RPG Maker, apparently).

And, everybody follow @stormfreestudio for more awesome graphics!  Well, hello there!

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

I was a little busy today with IRL stuff, but now all characters from Seedlings 1 and 2 can attend the party! Next gotta add the characters from Seedling 3, and then design cooler and more varied decorations.

This gif gives a general view of one possible party mix, with a blue man floating down into his spot:

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »

I spent all day designing decoration layouts for the party. Shocked I finished Baby's (wild and silly) and Feb's (elegant and victorious). You can guess which is which!

What do you think? Now I'm actually thinking there's too much empty space in the middle, but once the party music starts the characters will start walking around, so then it won't be so empty in the middle, I guess...

Next I need to layout FRYER's simple decorations and Drizzy's scary decorations.  Gomez

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »

Okay, all the monsters can now arrive, and there are four unique party decoration designs based on which monster you recruited. (Technically all unnecessary polish but I just couldn't help myself, and I wanted players to see something new each time they play.)

Here are the other two layouts besides those above, the simple/creepy ones with FRYER and Drizzy. I thought they both might be too boring but I think they turned out kinda nice:

Next is write all the dialogue for the party, where monsters recount their favorite memories with you, and if you're lucky there might be a special scene after the party...

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »

Today I finished the dialogue for the party. I want it to tie together everything that happened and feel unique, so...

...some monsters reflect on unique events involving them during that playthrough:

...some comment on the party's unique decorations:

...some ask for advice (with choices based on things you did in the game):

...and some develop friendships with other characters (which is somewhat random in that I chose them and there's no way for the player to predict them ahead of time, but I thought it adds a nice small touch if the player stumbles across one), in this case Baby and the Time Fairy run off to create poetry together:

And I also made little balloon arrows awhile ago that lead the way to the party and forgot to post them:

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »

What is this game? I need to see a gameplay video please.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »

Sure!

I should add that to the first page, too. Smiley

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

Sure!

I should add that to the first page, too. Smiley
Yeah you can always update the first post with the newest gameplay video

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic