Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:00:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCloudbase Prime: first person jumping and shooting with movable terrain
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cloudbase Prime: first person jumping and shooting with movable terrain  (Read 446 times)
Tyrus Peace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »

Dev log: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=55901.0

"Cloudbase Prime is a first-person game where the world around you is composed of hexagon pillars that you can move up and down with your sweet glowy hand. It's called an architect. It can be used to access new areas or launch yourself and enemies skyward."

You can download Cloudbase Prime alpha 0.8 here.
Thanks for any feedback! I'm especially struggling to get feedback after the first two worlds of the game. The vast majority of feedback I've gotten only covers world 1 (of 5). It's generally pretty positive feedback, and I've certainly got things I want to improve in that intro chunk of the game, but there's much more game than that!

I'm planning on releasing on early access for my next major alpha release, and I'm eager to see what folks think about it now. This demo's level picker hides most of world 1 until you finish 1-intro, but everything else unlocks more or less instantly for testing/demo purposes.

AlphaOG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »

Man, I played this game for ages, I really need to stay updated with the game, it was awesome
Hibbe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:45 AM »

Cloudbase prime

On 1-b I found myself falling down a lot and it was definitely frustrating, I am trying to kill the boss and shoot
his minions but I would just walk in to holes because I couldn't see them. After I had died a couple of times I found that if I used the platforms to bounce up it was easier to see where the boss had shot away the platforms and I could also stay in the same cluster of hexes for longer. I would suggest that instead of removing platforms make the character take damage when he steps on them, since it's the first boss you could have some platforms raise and lower by themselves around the "arena" to suggest to the player that staying in the air is the only viable option to killing the boss.

The voice acting is bad, but even the best voice actor would struggle with the material here. Both in voice acting and in the writing you need to think about creating a character. Look at someone like Claptrap in Borderlands. It sounds like you are trying to imitate that kind of a wacky robot character, but the voice acting alone does not make the character. Claptrap works because the voice acting and writing fits well together. Compare Claptrap to Ghost from Destiny who is monotone, calculating and informative. Try to imagine the characters reading each others lines. You will find that they are so different that it sounds really bad when you do that. These are obviously extreme examples and you not that far away but you haven't quite connected the voice and the writing yet and maybe looking at an extreme example like this can help you decide where on the scale you want to be.

If you are going to continue to do the voices yourself I would recommend that to find the characters and voices you try and overdo it as much as possible, do funny accents, talk loudly and just riff, have some fun and then when you find something you like that would work for your character, try to work with that, if it's too loud and wacky then you can start to tone it down a little from there. Right now you're too quiet and it's very obvious that you are trying to be upbeat and funny, it needs to come more naturally.

The different bigger characters or "bosses" work great, the weakpoints are a good idea, it makes the fights more unique and fun. Watching the big character on 2-1 tumble and fall down when I obliterated one of his legs was very cool!

I have some more feedback, but I think I will leave it at that for right now. For every bit of negative feedback you give you should have five positive things to say to get the best reception by the creator. In that sense I am bad at giving feedback, I have failed miserably. But for everything I have said here there are countless of things that are right in your game. The graphics, the feel, the gameplay and the concept are all solid, I don't have anything negative to say about any of it. I didn't encounter any bugs and things generally worked well together. Keep doing what you are doing and it's going to become a game worth paying for. Definitely.
Tyrus Peace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »

Hibbe: Thanks very much for the feedback! You were by no means too negative. Letting me know your overall opinion at the end was very kind Smiley.

1-b:

For the most part people have complained this boss is too easy, and I've actually been considering adding more attacks/variety to make it more interesting. I don't plan to make it harder, though, it's only the first boss.

Avoiding holes and jumping a lot seem to be necessary skills for enjoying this game, so this early "tutorial" on those strikes me as pretty important. I could add some lower terrain off to the side to make recovering from running into holes easier, though! I'll investigate that option. I'll also look into having the suit suggest "jumping around a lot" on respawn.

on improving dialog:

I believe I've already made some improvements to dialog in the later levels relative to what you're describing, but many of the end of the level "victory quips" are terribly drab/lame and I need to remove them. I also need to add many more (they're planned to be more level specific than they are now).

I mostly lean on fixbots being the wacky characters later in the game. Long player suit dialog will generally be pared down to more

stuff.

I am trying to lean away from bein' all shouty for the suit. Many of the fixbots already have that persona, and I expect many folks would be annoyed and exhausted by that kind of attitude doing a ride-along with them for the whole game. That's a very popular persona in media currently, but it's popular in a divisive way.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic