Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:50:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat gaming hardware do women own?
Poll
Question: Women gamers/devs, what hardware do you and your friends own?
Modern "Gaming rig" PC - 2 (4.2%)
PC with GPU younger than 3 years - 2 (4.2%)
PC with GPU older than 3 years - 2 (4.2%)
PC with onboard GPU (Intel etc) - 4 (8.3%)
"Gaming laptop" - 3 (6.3%)
Laptop younger than 3 years - 3 (6.3%)
Laptop older than 3 years - 2 (4.2%)
PC or laptop older than 5 years - 3 (6.3%)
Netbook - 0 (0%)
iPad - 1 (2.1%)
iPhone - 3 (6.3%)
Tablet (Android) - 1 (2.1%)
Smartphone (Android) - 7 (14.6%)
Xbox 1 - 0 (0%)
Playstation 4 - 4 (8.3%)
Xbox 360 or PS 3 - 3 (6.3%)
Other (please comment) - 6 (12.5%)
Handheld console (3DS, Vita etc) - 2 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What gaming hardware do women own?  (Read 1440 times)
case81
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:57:14 AM »

Hi, I'm looking to design and market my game with an eye on female gamers / adult women.

I believe that this audience is becoming more important all the time and I'm interested what kind of gaming-capable hardware this group typically uses. Do women who play games have UE4-capable PCs at home? Or do they favour tablets?

Please respond only if you're the target audience or if you have gaming sisters / wives / daughters / friends.

Please no flamewars. No posts such as "women aren't gamers" etc. Let's keep it on topic.

Don't be afraid to answer, this is not a contest. It's just market research.

I want to know what hardware level/platforms I should target in order to cater to this audience.

Multiple replies are possible.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:04:49 AM by case81 » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:02:07 AM »

Me and my sister also own a bunch of retro systems not on the list.
Just so you know, TIGsource is probably a bad place for this kind of poll, 99% of people on here are male.
Cheers Coffee
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »

Could the legends be true? "Girls"?
case81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »

Me and my sister also own a bunch of retro systems not on the list.
Just so you know, TIGsource is probably a bad place for this kind of poll, 99% of people on here are male.
Cheers Coffee

Thanks. I think I'll need to look at some other sites for research too, then. It's just hard to decide which ones.
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »

Filled it out with my GF in mind. She also has a few generations of Nintendo DS and a Wii.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »

Filled it out as well. I'm surprised you don't mention any handhelds like the 3DS (planning to buy one later this year) or the Vita (own one). And yeah, like Canned Turkey already said, this forum might not be the best place to reach out to girl gamers. Most people on this site are Indie devs or people who have an interest in indie development and that's only a small margin of your target audience. Plus, most people here are male. But I don't know either what place would be better to ask a question like this...
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:23:20 AM »

Most of the ladies I know (relations, coworkers, long-time friends, etc) of my generation will have a DS, will play games on their not-a-gaming rig PC, and may or may not have a Wii or Wii U. Smartphones as well, of course.

DS is where it's really focused.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »

i used to know plenty of fmeale gamers but not anymore. i dont miss winning at starfox 64

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

My older sister is a gaming addict and owns a variety of consoles. Her favorite games are japanese RPGs and survival horror games. I don't remember exactly what platforms she owns but it's at least a PS4 and a PSP, as well as a mid-level PC (she can play most games on Steam but not recent AAA games).

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »

...Are we woman developers such rare beasts? Well, that's depressing to know.

Anyway, I live with other two girls and we all play games. I have a decent laptop and a 3DS; the roomie who works at Gamestop has a bazillion of old and new consoles (I'm counting a Wii, a PS4 and a PS2 in the living room), while the other roomie is a casual gamer - she just fiddles with free games on her Ithings.

Lots of female gamers I know have an handheld console, or play with their cellphones. I think that's because most women didn't grew with a "gaming culture": they're not used to the concept of playing a game for an entire afternoon, completely devoting themselves to the activity. For them, playing a game is just a way to pass time or relax, so handhelds are great for them.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »

...Are we woman developers such rare beasts? Well, that's depressing to know.

I don't know how bad it is in AAA land, but lady indie devs are not rare at all IRL (at least the places i go)

as for the survey, pretty much every lady in my age group games and owns multiple consoles (though rarely XBOX it seems.) PS4, WiiU, 3DS and Vita seem to be especially popular. Steam to a slightly lesser degree, but probably just as common as my male friends I'd suppose?

Admittedly my circle of friends is as tech as it gets though, so this might not be the general experience.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

A lot of the women i know are nintendo fans.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »

my wife told me she likes mario then when she played mario she immediately ran into the first goomba and died
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »

I have gradually and purposefully cut ties with people of any gender that plays video games

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »

says the dude who posts twice per day on a videogame forum
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »

shhh

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »

i later bought my wife a 3ds and the 3d mario game and i've never seen a human being so frustrated. i think if we ever have an acrimonious divorce the turning point will be mario's vile influence.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »

a few of my female friends own 3DSes, but almost all of them play casual games on their smartphones.
case81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I've added handhelds to the poll. I hope this is early enough to still give a useful result.

Handhelds, smartphones, onboard GPUs... laptops... that looks discouraging for any type of game that is slightly graphically intensive.
Skarcasm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »

As an adult lady gamer, I'll chime in.

The majority of my gaming is done either on a high-range PC or PS4. Have a WiiU that gets booted up occasionally for tinkering around with level design in Mario Maker. Despite having an android smartphone and 3DS they get touched almost never. I just don't ever feel as immersed with them I guess.

Shrug

In order of usage:

PC
PS4
WiiU
3DS
Smartphone

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic