Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 04:28:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRipped off, but is it newsworthy?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Ripped off, but is it newsworthy?  (Read 31838 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »

I think he makes a bash cas thread every year...

I used to lurk on the Dexterity forums, I think I posted there only a few times, but I remember those, yes. He has a slight victim mentality streak, but people having different personalities make people interesting.

I don't think he should have been banned and I feel that a lot of the responses in this thread are just as aggressive and negative as anything he said. That bit about the only reason he posted is to get attention and how he's succeeded now that his traffic doubled was pretty rude though.

Anyway, I think this thread is a great touchstone to the personalities of the people on this forum -- it's like a guide to those who treat topics seriously and those who are more interested in engaging in social power plays (although some people can do both).

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »

Indeed, particularly your case is interesting to observe, Paul Eres. Wink
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2009, 04:24:37 AM »

Paul, he was slandering everybody who disagreed with him in the thread. His semantic was "crude" at best, and unacceptable at worst. He didn't take his own discussion seriously (when some people including myself asked if his grievances went beyond the shop system and graphics). He contradicted himself constantly (slandering everything to do with the game while still being "polite" to Farmergnome). He admitted to being a dick, and decided purposefully to continue being a dick. He claimed that he would break the nose of anybody who said anything about his game in public. His "farewell note" claimed that it was his goal to troll the forum all along, to get page hits for his game.

I'm just as big a fan of politically correct as the next guy, but I think we're going a bit far here.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »

Paul, he was slandering everybody who disagreed with him in the thread. His semantic was "crude" at best, and unacceptable at worst. He didn't take his own discussion seriously (when some people including myself asked if his grievances went beyond the shop system and graphics). He contradicted himself constantly (slandering everything to do with the game while still being "polite" to Farmergnome). He admitted to being a dick, and decided purposefully to continue being a dick. He claimed that he would break the nose of anybody who said anything about his game in public. His "farewell note" claimed that it was his goal to troll the forum all along, to get page hits for his game.

I'm just as big a fan of politically correct as the next guy, but I think we're going a bit far here.

Yes, but everyone else did the same or worse. Enumerating the things he did wrong and not enumerating the things everyone else did wrong gives a skewed perspective.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »

Haha, I found this quote of his on the indiegamer.com forums:

"The games on TIGsource are pale imititations by amateurs. I'm not just saying that to blow my own trumpet - the games on TIGsource are genuinely just unpolished ideas with little substance behind them. I rarely see anything on TIGsource worth a bean."
-cas

:D

(He said that prior to this thread btw, back in January, so it's not something he bitterly said after the ban or something.)

mirosurabu
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2009, 08:42:48 AM »

He's just jealous because he has never been nominated for IGF award. Tongue

That happens when money-oriented indies collide with experimental money-last indies.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily say he's a money-first type -- those types typically make games they don't enjoy playing. He at least makes the type of games he likes to play.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »

Am I the only who thinks that "trolling" is over-used these days?
I think it's mainly due to having been stripped of almost all its original meaning. I think it means "using the internet in any way" now.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »

I'm not sure it ever had a specific original meaning, besides something like "saying negative things which you would not say to someone's face because you're hidden behind the internet". But yes, I prefer phrases like 'acting like a jerk' or whatever, it's more specific.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »

I do believe it was originally a name for a specific activity that's just been horribly diluted by people not really grasping the spirit of the thing.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2009, 09:52:43 AM »

I have to say, I think it's pretty sad to see Cas banned over this thread.. his games have a lot of style and it would be nice to try and draw more "professional indies" into the community rather than create some sort of schism.

I don't really think his "attitude" was anything more than garden variety gruff british surliness.

I suppose I may be biased since I _do_ think that the flash game was a total ripoff of Titan Attacks. But then again I have an outstanding grudge against Cas since he removed my perfectly legal/non-cheated TA highscore, so maybe that cancels things and I'm impartial.

Frankly I can't believe anyone disagreed with him, if for example the author of the Underside denied outright any influence by Cave Story I would think there would be quite a backlash, I don't really understand why this is any different.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »

It's not the mythical beast type of troll.
It's the fishing action type of troll.You bait people and troll for angry responses.

BUT most people get it confused and think it means people just being a dick. Its really a deliberate act and irritating practice.

Also I find Cas to be money based, have you tried to play his game? Its about 5 clicks of adds to get to the title screen.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that people were dicks to him, he was a dick and people responded in kind, I just which he had a chance to respond to me, rather then trying to dismiss what I had said.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
mirosurabu
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily say he's a money-first type -- those types typically make games they don't enjoy playing. He at least makes the type of games he likes to play.

I tend to [wrongfully] associate non-experimental indies with money-first indies. Oh, well.

But do indies who make games they don't like really exist, though?
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »

Haha, I found this quote of his on the indiegamer.com forums:

"The games on TIGsource are pale imititations by amateurs. I'm not just saying that to blow my own trumpet - the games on TIGsource are genuinely just unpolished ideas with little substance behind them. I rarely see anything on TIGsource worth a bean."
-cas

:D

(He said that prior to this thread btw, back in January, so it's not something he bitterly said after the ban or something.)

He also had this gem on there:
Yeah, TIGsource forums are something of an embarrassment, but I'm having fun there at the moment and my traffic's up somewhat

I really don't know how someone who makes clone #4507 of classic games for a living can comment on the creativity or quality of the stuff people put out here.   Roll Eyes

Maybe he's jealous because this place is a IGF nominee/winner factory, I dunno.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:05 AM »

I don't see much reason for this thread to stay open, all of these out of context copypastas are starting to looking pretty self-righteous and masturbatory.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »

I really don't see how the comments Paul and I pasted are out of context, in fact they were pretty much out of the blue in the original threads.  And I'm just confused as to why you would think they're self-righteous and masturbatory.

In any case, I'm in favor of closing the thread as well. 

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »

I dunno it just feels like there's no point to posting things like that except to maybe deepen a consensus that princec was kind of being a jerk. But he's banned. So that doesn't matter. There's no reason to post it except to feel better about banning someone who is already banned. See what I mean?

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »

Fair enough, I actually wanted to close the thread several pages ago when the same thing was being repeated endlessly.   WTF

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

Thread closed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic