Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:38:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Is it possible to create stylized textures for 3D models without hand painting?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is it possible to create stylized textures for 3D models without hand painting?  (Read 1894 times)
robby12
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »

Is it possible to create stylized textures for 3D models without hand painting them?
I'm pretty good at creating realistic textures through photos, but I've always been interested in stylized textures.
How does Sunset Overdrive go about creating stylized textures?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
robby12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

Does anyone want to attempt to help to help me?
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »

Wow nice patience there. I was almost going to not reply out of spite.

If you don't want to create textures, you're probably going to have to adjust your modelling techniques to suit the video I linked above in which every tri/poly is colored individually.

https://twitter.com/EthanRedd

I've watched this guy model on twitch sometimes and that's basically his technique. you model every detail (and i mean everything because you can't rely on textures to feign it in) and just have it flat colors.

Other than that there are pixel based textures like in the Mega Man Legends games. It still requires drawing, but not "hand painting". You could also try making textures in a vector art program, but both might require work you don't want to put in.

And other than Sunset Overdrive, what do you mean by "stylized"? Anything non-realistic is stylized, and that's a huge spectrum, but if you want Sunset Overdrive results, you aren't going to get there without textures. I personally wouldn't even call Sunset Overdrive stylized. It's still much closer to realism, it's just a lot more colorful than many AAA games from what I can tell.

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

Is cel shading an option?

olli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »

nah, cel shading without texture work that's designed to work for it never looks quite right- a good cel shaded look is all about the art pipeline. can be great combined with the "flat color textures/model every detail" approach though
Mannapi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:42:01 AM »

@OP Yes, although it depends son what you mean by hand painting.

With procedural texture generators like Substance painter you will still need to mask out areas by hand, even though they are quite good at detecting contours.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/stylized-artworks-made-substance

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »

I've been under the impression that most of the stylized looks have been through not just textures, but through lighting and good shader programming.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic