Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:14:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsNiTL is looking for an artist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NiTL is looking for an artist  (Read 468 times)
Niteris
Level 0

NiTL's player character

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »

Hello everyone!

I've been making a game called "NiTL" with a good friend and colleague,
                                          Bryan Davis, for the past year.

Our previous artist quit two months ago to focus on 3D modelling, so we're in need of a pixel artist that is able to make 16-bit sprites.

Short video of some graphics and basic movement

Dev log: https://www.nitl101.blogspot.com/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/c.NITL/

Most of the programming for the game is finished, soundtrack is on hold while waiting for graphics which currently I'm doing on my own.

Currently the game is only for PC/Mac/Linux, hoping to release it on GOG.com by the end of the year.

Genres: Action-Adventure, Platformer, Metroidvania.

Serious and capable takers only, have to be aged 18 or over to work with us.
                                          Send me a message on tigsource or a message on skype (GamerDeveloper).

We'll have a chat and if it goes well I can send you an old demo to try out the game.

Here is some information about my game, currently under the name of NiTL:

Development team of 2, formerly 3:

• Me, Luka Arambašić (Lead Programmer and Designer, artist, active)
                                          • Bryan Davis (Composer, active)

Some history about the game's development:

Started beginning end of 2014, with me on my own checking out different engines,
                                          I wasted about a year in Construct2 and got 80% of the game completely finished before I hit the upper limit of the engine and it's restrictions started killing development, at which point I switched to Unity.

After the switch to Unity (around June 2015), I had to hard-code everything from scratch. I also made massive improvements across the board, everything from performance, mechanics, responsiveness, all the way to better gameplay design and features.

NiTL is still being made in Unity, all of it's code is written by me in C#.
                                          So far, a great deal of it's programming is finished, my rough estimate would be some 70%.
                                          85% of the player sprites are finished as well, along with sprites for exactly two enemies, some power up abilities, and UI HUD elements.

Here is a list of what is done so far:

• Player fully complete (in terms of programming):

• Full Range of Movement
                                          • High Jump
                                          • Chain-Jump (Like Space-Jump, Metroid)
                                          • Normal Beam
                                          • Ice-Beam
                                          • Missiles
                                          • Morph Ball
                                          • Morph Ball Bombs
                                          • Morph Ball Jump
                                          • Environmental Shield
                                          • Speedbooster
                                          • Diagonal Aiming
                                          • Somersaulting
                                          • Sprinting
                                          • Wall-Jumping
                                          • Damage-Reaction
                                          • Upgrading Ammo and Health

• Enemy Types (6 Core Types so far):

• Simple AI (bi-directional movement, switches direction when encountering ledges, walls etc)
                                          • Runak (walks left and right when undisturbed, if near a player it jumps at him)
                                          • Wallask (Non-moving worm hidden in the ground, attacks the player from out of the ground)
                                          • Pipe-Cleaners (Fly out of structures at the player, can be frozen to be used at platforms)
                                          • Rinka (Kinda obvious if you've played Metroid)
                                          • Flying Armour (Flies left to right, indestructible by conventional means)

• Special Block types (Fake Block, Missile Block, etc, all destructible)
                                          • Save Stations(Programming)
                                          • Fully Functional Save-Load System
                                          • Full Dynamic HUD
                                          • Hazard Rooms (superheated, supercooled rooms that damage the player)
                                          • Item Pick-Ups (Health, Ammo)
                                          • Transitionless-environment (No room-room transitions, is completely seamless)
                                          • Title Screen
                                          • Main Menu
                                          • Game Selection
                                          • Game Over Screen
                                          • Automap
                                          • Partial-Pause Screen

Aside from that, Liam made a complete soundtrack for the game in FamiTracker when it was still in production in Construct2 as an 8-bit project (I was making it simpler then to have it easier to make, but since using Unity and meeting Frece I switched to 16-bit because the engine allowed much more).

https://you tu.be/YilpdCJgUKQ (Link is here and fragmented to avoid giant thumbnail)

Since the switch to 16-bit we are no longer using the 8-bit soundtrack in the link and it has been left on the cutting room floor. Bryan and I are working closely to create a 16-bit soundtrack for NiTL.

-----------------------

Here are some answers to questions you might have:

Will this be a commercial game?

Yes, I'll be looking to get the game published on GOG, steam, etc.

What platforms will it be available on?

Currently the only planned platform is PC, since Unity can export to Linux and Mac just as easily I'll hopefully be releasing it on those as well but I don't have a Mac or Linux, the only person I know with a Mac is a friend so he'll be playtesting it for Mac. I'll be making the demo (which is free) available to PC, Linux and Mac to see how well the Linux and Mac versions perform.

If the game sells well and/or we have a very successful indiegogo campaign, I'll see about making a port to consoles but I'm more focused on getting the game finished and released at all, rather than making big plans.

How do you plan to market it?

After enough graphics for the game are done, we'll be making a specialized demo to showcase the mechanics, enemy AI and a little story, which will be available for free.

After the demo, or at least enough graphics are done, I'll start posting screen-captures and videos on the facebook page and Dev Log, making videos and teasers on a YouTube channel I made for this game.

When we get a big enough following, and/or near the absolute end of development (85+% of the total game finished) I'll see about making an indiegogo campaign (smaller demographic than kickstarter, but more interested people who are more likely to fund) to help cover costs, pay every one and possibly expand the game after release (such as ports).

What graphics would you need for the demo?

Ideally: finished graphics for one more enemy, a tile-set and maybe some other small things like item pickups.

When do you plan to release the demo?

Hopefully around July/August.

Realistically it all comes down to how fast or slow I can get the graphics for it.

When do you plan to release the full game?

Hopefully around November/December.

I'm currently more interested in getting the demo done first because that gives me options to pursue marketing the game, making promotional content and possibly getting funding, and if we get funded it would significantly speed up development right now. Not to mention the fact that finishing the demo would help me get a better idea of when to expect to have the game done.
                                          I tend to take things one step at a step because I notice that approach is a lot faster when I focus like that than making plans far in the future where there's simply too many unaccountable variables to take into consideration.

If I'm being completely honest, if I had all the graphics and sound done, I might be able to get away with a release date between May or July, but I don't.

-----------------------

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this ridiculously large post, if you have any questions at all please ask them and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

My skype is GamerDeveloper if you wish to communicate by some more immediate means.

NiTL placeholder title screen I made yesterday.

One of the completely finished enemies, The Runak, and it's walking animation.

Small demonstration of the basic pause screen map
                                          « Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:51:54 AM by Niteris » Logged

Pages: [1]
                                          Print
                                          Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic