Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:08:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesImbroglio
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Imbroglio  (Read 3631 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:56:26 AM »

I've found its much simpler than 868-hack and don't like the restrictions.
But lots of people seem to love it and apparently once you get a high score of 32 you can rearrange the board and there's depth to be had.

So I'm curious how you all feel about it?

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:11:32 AM »

The guitar sounds is cool

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »

yes you don't unlock its full potential until you unlock deck building. it's a deeper game than 868 (which is already very good) with a much more refined strategic layer.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »

The guitar sounds is cool
Hah yeah, the riff that plays when you lose is amazing.  Alright Silbereisen, I'm skeptical but I'll see if I can get that score.

I miss exploiting enemy AI though, Imbroglio they all seem to move straight at you.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »

imbroglio is more about your own positioning. enemies all act the same, yes. but in the end i think it was necessary because with differing enemy behaviors on such a small grid it would just get too hard to upgrade specific weapons, which you kinda need to do to get anywhere at all.

the 32 points are really easy to get. one mistake i made was thinking that collecting a star spawns a new monster or somehow affects monster spawn rate because that's how it was in 868. it doesn't, so you can basically just rush to those stars, especially early on.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »

I've found its much simpler than 868-hack

I found the opposite! So far I prefer 868-HACK just because of how complicated Imbroglio is -- the number of different cards to consider, plus the way they can combine/synergize, plus their positioning, plus the different characters, means that the possibility space is a bit overwhelming (for me anyway).

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »

I've found its much simpler than 868-hack

I found the opposite! So far I prefer 868-HACK just because of how complicated Imbroglio is -- the number of different cards to consider, plus the way they can combine/synergize, plus their positioning, plus the different characters, means that the possibility space is a bit overwhelming (for me anyway).

Thanks Tigsource.. I persisted and pleasantly enjoying the game. Playing as the lady with teleports. I miss the risk-reward of going for higher scores in 868 but setting up good board combos and playing with situational awareness (like retreating in the right direction, making extra moves so when you get a gem there's not an adjacent enemy) is fun.

Top score 88! I heard there are more characters to unlock, too.. I'm guessing after 100?

zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:31 PM »

Oh ffs. Games like these shouldn`t be released only in walled gardens (dunno why, some sort of old roguelike scene entitlement bouncing around my head)

I just can`t help but wonder...how hard is it to throw it on itch or even sell from own site and have that little extra money and warm fuzzy feelin`? If i had a game (never mind a good game) I`d be sure to pimp it out anywhere possible.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »

868 got ported to PC (well it got ported from pc to mobile and then back  Tongue), so maybe the same will happen with Imbroglio?

Idk what michael brough's rationale for going iOS first is, maybe he finds it easier as a solo dev to concentrate on just one platform initially (afaik he does everything himself), or maybe he has a little more of a market there? i mean his games DO work very well in a mobile format. one of the first things i thought when i played the 7drl prototype of 868 for the first time was "damn, it would be AMAZING if this had a mobile port". and then it happened.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »

868 got ported to PC (well it got ported from pc to mobile and then back  Tongue), so maybe the same will happen with Imbroglio?

Idk what michael brough's rationale for going iOS first is, maybe he finds it easier as a solo dev to concentrate on just one platform initially (afaik he does everything himself)

I remember him saying as much but I can't actually find a link.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

he's said that it will be coming to either android *or* pc soon

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »

Quantum Plays Imbroglio - Jeska - 121

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »

Has anyone had luck with the blue curse pads (25-100% chance of cursing on landing on it) in the four corners? I'm trying that now..

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »

Oh ffs. Games like these shouldn`t be released only in walled gardens (dunno why, some sort of old roguelike scene entitlement bouncing around my head)

I just can`t help but wonder...how hard is it to throw it on itch or even sell from own site and have that little extra money and warm fuzzy feelin`? If i had a game (never mind a good game) I`d be sure to pimp it out anywhere possible.

Let the developer know!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »

Has anyone tried the expansion? (IAP)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »

I bought it when it came out, but just kind of shut down when I saw all the new possibilities.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »

I bought it when it came out, but just kind of shut down when I saw all the new possibilities.

Too overwhelming? What do the new weapons do? I'm holding off until I can at least get 128 or 256 with the main characters

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »

I broke 200 with Bob.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »

loved her cover of torn
quantumpotato