Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:37:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEternal Hope
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eternal Hope  (Read 1298 times)
hnrq01
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

Hey everyone  Gentleman
I started developing a new project, it's a 2D puzzle platformer game where the main character has the ability to merge two different worlds. It's still in alpha phase and I'd like your feedback to help me improve and develop the game. I also created a devlog, check it out if you want more informations. https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56125.0

Story
The story is about a boy that loses his beloved in a tragic accident.
Lost in his own grieve he receives an offer he can’t deny, a way to bring her back.
But to do so he must find the fragments of her soul that spread around the world.

Keyboards
Arrows  or wasd to move
"X" or "L" to pull
"Z" or "K" to use special ability

Link for download(27mb): http://tinyurl.com/AlphaEternalHope

That's all!  Feedback away  Beer!
Loganscout
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »

So I just played your game and here are my thoughts:

1. I like the story you tell in the post, and I think you could go into detail with it, but I think you need to tell the story in the game, not just the post.

2. Some of the mechanics are hard to learn. Such as how you can push the rocks. I jumped right over the first rock and was stuck for like 10 minutes. Also it took me a while to learn that the little bug with you points to the nearest place you can use your power. I feel like it would really help the game if to start off you had a tutorial showing these features.

3. I really like the design and gameplay. I think you did a really good job. I f you need more inspiration, there is this really cool game that this reminded me of, the game is Unravel.

I wish you luck. Send out an update soon please!
AlphaOG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »

My Experience with playing this game:
Considering  an  alpha, this was quite a good game to play.
I see how you added the limbo type animation and I like that.
if you add a backstory to this, I think this will end up being a great game.
I think if you add a tutorial type scene when you first play, alot more people will understand how to play.
I got stuck on certain bits of the game because I didnt know that you could push a block.
I figured out myself but if smaller children end up playing this, they could have a hard time playing.
All together this was a great game and ill wait for the beta to come out so I can play that
7/10

I also added some pictures to show you what I did in the game

hnrq01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »

So I just played your game and here are my thoughts:

1. I like the story you tell in the post, and I think you could go into detail with it, but I think you need to tell the story in the game, not just the post.

2. Some of the mechanics are hard to learn. Such as how you can push the rocks. I jumped right over the first rock and was stuck for like 10 minutes. Also it took me a while to learn that the little bug with you points to the nearest place you can use your power. I feel like it would really help the game if to start off you had a tutorial showing these features.

3. I really like the design and gameplay. I think you did a really good job. I f you need more inspiration, there is this really cool game that this reminded me of, the game is Unravel.

I wish you luck. Send out an update soon please!

First of all thank you for playing and giving me feedback! I want to tell the story throughout the game, it's not like this yet because I'm still in the beginning of the project. I'm sorry you got stuck for 10 minutes, I'll work on these mechanics feedback. And comparing my game to Unravel? I'm flattered! Thank you! Tears of Joy
hnrq01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »

I think if you add a tutorial type scene when you first play, alot more people will understand how to play.
I got stuck on certain bits of the game because I didnt know that you could push a block.
I figured out myself but if smaller children end up playing this, they could have a hard time playing.
All together this was a great game and ill wait for the beta to come out so I can play that
7/10

Thanks for testing it. I'm gonna try to improve those mechanics so everyone can understand them. I'm planning on adding a backstory.. maybe even cutscenes? I'll see what I can do! If you want more information about the game you follow my devlog or my facebook page.
Ps: I really liked to see you even took screenshots to show me! Grin
AlphaOG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »

7/10

Thanks for testing it. I'm gonna try to improve those mechanics so everyone can understand them. I'm planning on adding a backstory.. maybe even cutscenes? I'll see what I can do! If you want more information about the game you follow my devlog or my facebook page.
Ps: I really liked to see you even took screenshots to show me! Grin

No Probs man, I have enabled notifications so that I can stay updated
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:25:09 AM »

One word. Gorgeous

The only negative feedback I could give is
A. Would like to be able to run faster
B. The yellow , ahh , mushrooms contrast too much to the blue

But if those things are the way you want it, it's perfect

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
longneckgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »

I enjoyed your game. good puzzle design. Personally I'm not sure your block problem needs to be fixed, but if you did decide to adjust the learning curve I would just put the first block you encounter near a short wall, but not quite close enough to make the gap. Players should be able to figure out that they can push it from there a little faster rather than doing a full blown tutorial. It also might help if you show a block fall or move in some way first so that you demonstrate they aren't stationary objects. The problem I had was that I didn't realize I could pull the blocks and once I realized I could, it took me a minute to figure out what button it was. This would be much easier to figure out if I was playing on a controller. It reminds me of limbo without being too similar. You might consider coming up with more ways to differentiate your game from limbo if you haven't already. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for future puzzles. Overall really nice work
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:31 AM »

Pretty nice game so far!

- The intro is okay, but it's kind of a pain to skip when you start the game again. I would have some subtle text in the bottom right saying "press escape to skip", or make any key skip it.

- In the start screen I first saw the keybindings at the bottom and tried to move my character to test them, then the keybindings disappeared and I had to figure out how to get back to that. The "Press any key to start" is not very visible, since it's light against a light background.

- It's annoyingly slow/tedious walking back and forth at times. I want a run button, and probably some shorter distances, especially the very beginning stretch.

- Would be cool for the footstep sounds to be louder, a nice pit-pat, especially since there's not much else going on. Right now they're barely audible.

- I probably would have been confused about the first block if I hadn't read this thread first. I agree more with longneckgames though, you just need some little indication that it's movable.

- The little dude hanging from the tree in the background is way too much of a Limbo ripoff for my taste, in an already Limbo ripoff game.

- Your little glowing buddy is nice, and him vibrating at you works (though it might get a little annoying after a while). His movement gets a bit stiff when he follows you though. I would mix in some gentle bobbing to his movement at all times, not just when he's sitting still. And maybe a little bit slower interpolation.

- I got a bit confused about pulling things, I thought it was broken. Not sure how I failed at it the first time to be honest, but it would be nice if there was some indication when you press the pull button, a little grab animation or something. Right now you press the button and nothing happens.

- I also had trouble turning the power on again after I just turned it off. I guess there's a delay there? It didn't make sense to me.

- Waiting for your power to regenerate was a bit annoying. I understand it may be essential to some puzzles that you can only activate your power for a certain amount of time, but I think it should regenerate much more quickly (or even instantly). Say you use all your power on a little puzzle, but you fail and have to try again. At that point you just have to sit around and wait for your power to regenerate, which is boring.

- The graphics are not bad. Unless you totally break away from the black silhouettes, it will always be in the "Limbo ripoff" category. Not a fatal issue though, there are plenty of them out there, some of which are quite good. You just have to be ok with hearing it all the time. Smiley I've never seen one that came close to touching Limbo's graphics though.
You might check out Orphan, for something in the same vein, if you haven't already:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:35:33 AM by -Ross » Logged

Hitrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

It's pretty fun, but time it takes to refill the power bar vs. the short time your power lasts was pretty annoying.  That, and the my relative inability to play platformers on a keyboard meant I was standing around an awful lot.  Particularly the platforms underneath the cracking bridge.  Those should be spaced out more, because the player's jump is too high for it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic