Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:38:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)My game pixel art progress is really slow. Any tips and work habits to share?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My game pixel art progress is really slow. Any tips and work habits to share?  (Read 3061 times)
AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »

My background is in fine art - drawing and painting with an abstract and experimental bend. I have always been slow when making work, although everyone almost always liked the end result.

About a year and a half ago, I began full-time work on a game, which entailed learning game programming, learning Unity, and learning pixel art. It is very different from physical studio work and took quite some time until I started liking what I was making.

I am working on a top-down RPG similar to A Link To The Past, using tiles and pixel art for the game art. The art progress is really slow. I could be working a building in my game for several days, and the art is not that big (native resolution is 640 x 360, 32 px tile size).

Even with all of the work that I do, I feel like I am not moving forward. I don't even have a "scene" set up, just loose sprites and some buildings, cliff compositions, etc. Does anyone have any tips on how to move past this? When working with tiles, should I do a bunch of things loosely, gradually adding detail, and building out a scene? For example, I have a city block residential area in my game. Should I put some colors down, start building out the forms all at once? Or one sprite at a time, finish that, and then move on to the next one? (When painting physically, I would do everything at once. I can't seem to translate that into digital work.) Should I sketch everything out on paper first?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any speed tips and general work tips? What are you working methods?
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:09:22 AM »

show us what yu got
AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »

show us what yu got

I don't yet feel ready to. I'd really only post something about the game much closer to when my partner and I are comfortable with releasing our game. I'm sorry.

Do you have any tips, etc. nonetheless?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »

can you show your drawings at least?

Should I put some colors down, start building out the forms all at once? Or one sprite at a time, finish that, and then move on to the next one? (When painting physically, I would do everything at once. I can't seem to translate that into digital work.) Should I sketch everything out on paper first?
Depends on how you're working, if you're used to draw directly in photoshop, you could sketch first the big scene (mockup) and then sale down to use it a reference for the pixel art over it.
Can't really give advice unless your art is shown.

But generally speaking it's best to start building out the forms all at once ---> mockup of your game.
Unless you've already defined the art style , colors, pattern of your game, it's only going to be hard if you work sprite by sprite.

abstract and experimental bend
how experienced are you in perspective and anatomy drawing? because this might be the reason you're slow.
AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »

can you show your drawings at least?

Here is an album of some older work. The pixel art stuff is older work that I probably will not be using for the game (big improvements since then, I think, and the old sizes are too big with 64 px tiles). The digital concept is from several years ago. The portrait sketch is even older.

http://i.imgur.com/pqw0rvo.jpg?1

But generally speaking it's best to start building out the forms all at once ---> mockup of your game.
Unless you've already defined the art style , colors, pattern of your game, it's only going to be hard if you work sprite by sprite.

Thanks, I will try this.

Perspective drawing is fine - anatomy is probably not. I haven't been working with bodies, though - that is my partner's job, along with animation.
hammeron-art
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »

Regardless of style and media, not only art but every complex thing (the result of multiple pieces together) that humans build follow a similar process.
Doing loose pieces without a scene set up is like focusing on details after getting the general picture.
We have the illusion that jumping in and do things without a base is faster but we can get lost, redo and spend much more time than necessary.

After you know the setting and kind of environment, first start with sketches. "Scenes" in small rectangles.
I didn't even spend two minutes on each one.

Btw, this is how I design multiple scenes in the same level: http://i.imgur.com/fI2k9ho.jpg

Them sketch the pieces. Props, builds, animals, NPCs, plants, optional stuff, etc. Again, a few minutes for each one.

Broken, small, no much detail.
Something you would never show in your portfolio but is the first stage of the work.
My sketchbooks are filled with pages like that and some looking even more worse.
We usually only see fancy concept arts and this give a wrong impression of actual production art for most people.

Now do a mockup. How would the scene looks like if you had a screenshot of it?
Nothing big (in a smaller scale than in-game) nor precise, just a sketch painting to set up color, mood and what you have to achieve.

This is also the time for the fancy concept arts if you want to design things better.
There are no complex objects in this scene so the mockup was enough.

Then start to create the actual sprites.
Don't do one at time but many sketches then many fill coloring then many detailing.
I don't tell you to do everything at once because expecting you will know everything you need to do and everything will work beforehand is unrealistic (mainly because tiles, they need a lot of try and error). Work in batches.

This is the result:

I always make tilesets with this process and take a few days for each scene.
Another mockup example of a "more tile-based" scene: http://i.imgur.com/mCgG9oJ.jpg

For me everything after the sketch is details and you should not spend time until this point.
The purpose of game art is to decorate things. It can add mood, interest and fun but can't change or fix game mechanics by itself.
In order to save even more time, in theory, you could draw a simple subdivided rectangle, call it a house and when the programmer is done with the collision code and testing, you decorate the rectangle to looks like an actual house, animate birds in the roof, create reflection shader for the windows and so on.
You avoid redoing things that looked good but didn't fit at runtime.
After all redo sketches of a few minutes is better than redo 8+ hours of finished art.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:18:46 AM by hammeron-art » Logged

AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »

Regardless of style and media, not only art but every complex thing (the result of multiple pieces together) that humans build follow a similar process.
Doing loose pieces without a scene set up is like focusing on details after getting the general picture.
We have the illusion that jumping in and do things without a base is faster but we can get lost, redo and spend much more time than necessary.

Thanks! This is really helpful and reinforces what I suspected for a while now.

Truth is, I worked better when it came to traditional media work, leaving details for last, working the whole canvas from the beginning, etc. But when I started doing game art, because of how new it was, I wanted to see if I could make a cliff, then a rock, then a building, etc. until I ended up just making individual sprites instead of cohesive scenes.

I sketch things out all the time, but it ends up looking very different in digital/pixel form. I'm sure that this is the case for most people.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:01:05 AM »

Are you drawing everything on one sheet?
That would explain slowness. You would be better off making tiles and then level mockups in tiled or some other editor. Tiles are more productive and not as ugly as just putting rando objects in your scene.
AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »

Are you drawing everything on one sheet?
That would explain slowness. You would be better off making tiles and then level mockups in tiled or some other editor. Tiles are more productive and not as ugly as just putting rando objects in your scene.

Thanks.

I have sheets like Nature_Standard_01 and Urban_01, depending on what kinds of tiles/scenes I'm making. I use Tiled and Unity, but have never really got to mockups yet (a little bit here and there), just figuring out the art and art style and a bunch of programming.

But I think hammeron-art is right - it's a matter of not working the whole scene when I'm making sprites. Instead of working per-sprite, I should work per-"canvas" - which is exactly what I did and was taught in art school a while ago.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic