Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:43:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Choosing perspective for a newby: Link To the Past or Nox/Diablo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Choosing perspective for a newby: Link To the Past or Nox/Diablo  (Read 2028 times)
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:32:42 AM »

So I'm trying to scope out what my first long-term project will be, for use in unity.

I'm wondering if it's difficult to make 3/4 perspective assets(A Link To the Past)
or in a non-smooth 3d fasion (Diablo/Nox by Westwood studios.)

The goal is to make a TD with a wizard at the center, assaulted by goblins from all around.
Aka TD with one tower, spawned enemies, and a reasonable scope for a newby.
Aka making a few arbitrary spells look cool blowing up goblins.

And if both of those perspectives are rather difficult, finding something else.

Does anyone have experience making art in these perspectives? Is it difficult? Worthwhile?

Bear in mind that I don't have any serious experience in art. And that I'm not entirely sure where to get assets from.

I can draw some crap, enough to fill out a videogame for sure. I'm not so sure about search for artists/assets online.
AssembledVS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »

The Diablo/Nox perspective would be more difficult to program and you will have more programmatic considerations if working with it. Diablo/Nox is isometric or something close to it.

My advice is to start with something like A Link To The Past. It is considered an "oblique" projection:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Graphical_projection_comparison.png (bottom right)

I have experience making art in the oblique perspective. My opinion: I am rather slow, but regardless, it seems like it is more time-consuming than sidescroller art, for example, due to the perspective. But games in this perspective usually have more of a world to explore, as there is as much interactive content in both the x and y planes. In sidescrollers, much of the content is concentrated along the x axis, with sky and background taking up much of the y.

Probably one of the first issues you will run into is this: how do you render going "behind" a tree and in "front" of the same tree? This is a simple programming problem with multiple solutions, but this is one of the things that you will deal with when making a game using this 3/4 oblique graphical projection.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:52:22 AM by AssembledVS » Logged
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »

Just don't lose too much time focusing on the technical aspects of perspective if you're gonna be inspired by zelda alttp. It can losely be called orthographic, oblique or whatever. But in practice they really break the rules of perspective in a lot of places. This room for instance:

If you're really picky and stressed about it, these walls make no real sense and the statues don't follow the same rules. But in reality it works, it looks good and everything that should be conveyed, is conveyed.
So yeah, use it for inspiration, but keep in mind that this style is kinda unique and doesn't rely too much on reality, but on it's own rules.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:15:05 AM »

isometric is harder than top-down view and requires more work and art skill.
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »

Excellent. So I will make all the characters in 3/4 perspective. It won't look good drawn by me but all I need is something for my programming portfolio. Hand Metal Left Shocked Hand Metal Right
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »

3/4 would be cool.
vinaymehta
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:53 AM »

Hi,

No update on how your first long time project went? Were you able to achieve success with it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic