Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:12:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSynespectra - color-matching musical action game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Synespectra - color-matching musical action game  (Read 408 times)
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »

Synespectra is a fast-paced arcade-style game in which you have to match the color of incoming enemy bullets with your missiles or shield to score points. After restarting the development twice, it's close to an open beta. Features:
  • Ability to supply your own music
  • Multiple difficulty levels, with difficulty scaling in-game
  • Brightly-colored, reactive environment

The controls are mouse+keyboard, with the keys QWEASD mapped to red, green, blue, teal, magenta and yellow, respectively.
In order to get your own music into the game, copy it into the "data" folder.

As I don't have access to a Windows machine at the moment, I'd like to hear whether people who use Windows can get it to work. Please tell me whether you had any problems running the game, how was the performance and whether you thought it was too hard/easy.
The game requires an up-to-date version of Java.

Get it at:
https://inkblot.itch.io/synespectra/download/B0Jpa5poIG03m6832H2x0oM95a8uNrNc0a043lS8

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »

My main problem with the game is that the color-switching mechanic is more of a hassle than it is fun.  Mostly because there's no visual indication which button produces which color, so I either have to memorize all six botton-color combos, or (as actually happened) I have to cycle through all the colors until I get the one I want every time a new ball appears on screen.

The music and in-game visuals are nice.

The menu could use some work, both in terms of sprucing up the appearance and selecting songs takes a second or two to register.

Also, there should be a way to resize the window.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »

Thank you for playing and all the suggestions.
I realize that getting used to the color mapping can be a bit frustrating, but I couldn't think of a good way to indicate their configuration without partially obstructing the game. I have added the ability to display hints that the player can toggle in when choosing the song. (see screenshot)
I have moved loading the song to a separate thread, so now there is an indication that the game isn't hanging.
The problem with allowing window resizes is that it would alter the mechanics of the game - if the screen were to be widened, the player would have more time to shoot the bullets coming from the sides. I could add an option to resize the screen, but keep the ratio.

I think the game should be ready for an open beta soon, but it would be good to hear if it works for others too.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:08:12 AM »

Minor addition: the resolution and volume can now be adjusted from the settings menu.
Minor fix: the "Play" button is now more visible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic