Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:12:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRugby League Arcade - 3D arcade rugby fun
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rugby League Arcade - 3D arcade rugby fun  (Read 2911 times)
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »

After having a week off to get back into programming, and to actually finish and release a game, even if it was a small game done in 3 days (check out the game here: Netball Shots). I’m back working on and going down my list of my rugby league game fixes. I’m quite please by the number of things I’ve ticked off my to-do list and I feel that I should and could release a demo soon.  I guess the decision on the demo is whether the basic game works well enough without too many little bugs and is it fun enough yet.  Anyway, this blog is about is what I’ve done this week.

A LOT OF FIXES

I’ve fixed a major issue with the ball-carrying player deciding who is available to pass to, meaning that often he would see a player in front of him as a valid pass. I’ve improved the way that this is calculated. This has seen several improvements, before it was to easy to make a forward pass from a scrum. Also, it means that the AI works a little better, as the AI looks at the passing options it’s given from the player and then makes the decision on whether to pass or not, so, if the AI’s only option was a player who is in front it would obviously not pass, this has meant the AI has started to pass the ball around a lot more.

I showed a quick game to some friends and saw that they laughed a bit as two of the defending players kept running around each other and swapping positions while waiting for the ball to be played after a tackle. This is now fixed. There was another issue related to this that if the player pressed one of the ‘change players’ buttons, the players would reset to their default defensive positions and not the best positions after a tackled.

I’ve also fixed an issue with the tackled player not getting out of the way once he had played the ball. This lead to a lot of forward passes and also the AI not passing the ball as the tackled player was in front of the AI’s player, thus removing one option to pass.

I’ve also improved the scrum positioning a lot. Now, the scrum is held in the correct place an on the correct side.

IMPROVEMENTS

The hooker is now always nearly the player waiting behind the play-the-ball for the ball.

The ball moves downwards with the score try animation. I still need to fix the ball to the players hand when they have it, but it’s not such an important issue right now, something to do later.

OTHER FIXES

The hooker was running away from the scrum which wasn’t helpful!
The pause menu wasn’t working as it should, so, now it’s been fixed.
The ball was being collected by the player in the middle of the scrum.
The controller select screen was had a few issues.
When the AI kicks off, pressing the kick button, tells the computer to start the game.
Now, the game waits a moment for the try animation and getting up animation to finish before going to a conversion kick. Probably, I’ll add a celebration animation too before the game is released.

Also, as you can see, I’m changed the team logos a little.  I think that badges look better than the squares that I had before.  Again, all the graphics will be editable and the game is designed to be modded and updated easily with new teams, players and graphics.

Other News
I also made a little netball flick/swipe game for Android in 3 afternoons last week, just to try something different and have something finished.

Nothing, serious, but available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sionco.netballFree

My blog:
http://www.sionco.com/blog/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/sionco

DeroBoy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 02:23:16 AM »

This is looking awesome. Really getting an E.T's Rugby League (Wembley Rugby League in the UK) vibe. Can't wait for a playable demo. Keep up the good work mate
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 11:03:10 AM »

This is looking awesome. Really getting an E.T's Rugby League (Wembley Rugby League in the UK) vibe. Can't wait for a playable demo. Keep up the good work mate

Thanks very much.

Yeh, I'm trying to get a demo out, but, with limited time to work on it and it's taking a lot longer than I hoped. But, determined to finish.

I hope it plays as well as it looks! Smiley

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »

The time between blog posts and updates get longer, usually the sign that a project is dying.  Eventually, there are no updates. The project is dead.
well, What’s happened to Rugby League Arcade?

Well, fortunately, this isn’t the case, Rugby League Arcade is alive.
While, in the last two months my motivation for Rugby League Arcade did hit an all time low (despite my favourite team Wigan, winning the Super League) and work did come to a halt, the project is not dead!

One of the factors that demotivated me and gave me the feeling that I might never be able to finish this game on my own was the fact that I felt that I was always trying to deal with side-effects from the physics engine, getting players to avoid each other, which never worked or looked perfect and players bumping into each other and looking ridiculous. I had a long think about it and realized that having a physics engine doesn’t really add anything to the game, there’s no reason for it in such a small game.
reborn!

So, I’ve decided to start from scratch without the physics.  Luckily, a lot of my original code is physics independent, such as telling players where to go at certain moments, so I spent 3 afternoons this last week restarting the development of the game, re-adding section by section of the code.  The game is currently at the basic gameplay stage, with AI and player controlled passing, tackling and kicking implemented.

It’ll take me a few weeks to get to the same stage as I was with the previous version, but, it’s given me a good opportunity to review, improve, remove and change parts of my existing code as I re-add it part by part.

For example, one improvement, is that now when two opposition players come into contact, the speed of their running slows down, this gives the player the opportunity to press the tackle button at the right moment, it also gives the impression of the initial hustling and tussling before a tackle is performed.

From my blog
sionco.com/blog

thd79
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 05:06:19 AM »

I guess the story ends here? Sad
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2023, 02:15:35 PM »

yeah, it was 7 years ago. seems longer

thd79
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 12:32:33 AM »

yeah, it was 7 years ago. seems longer

What happened, just ran out of steam? Rugby is a hard, hard game to make huh. I've been chipping away at one in my spare time for a year or two now, I was thinking of starting a DevLog here. Was excited to see someone else doing something similar! Was hoping to read some of your blog posts about NPC/teammate AI etc - hard topic :D
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 02:15:54 AM »

My programming skills were a lot worse than they are now.  Also, getting the ai to work as well I wanted was the major issue in the end that caused it to grind to a halt, so many variables and scenarios need to be programmed for as well as all the stages of a rugby league game.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic