Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:46:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNew Dwarf Fortress Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: New Dwarf Fortress Thread  (Read 5494 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

Histories of X and Y

So yeah, there's a new Dorf Fortrss thread in town. Post your adventures and forts and let's have some Fun!

Do not complain about the interface or a werecapybara will eat your (inter)face.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:36:24 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »

I'll start:

I embarked on a pretty neat little world. The area that I'm in has a river, two swamps, plains up north and a forest down south, both separated by a mountain that runs horizontally across the map. My thinking is that I'll make a tunnel when I need to cross the mountain often, but for now scaling it each time I need to (which is never as of now) will suffice. Apparently there's also an aquifer on the chunk of earth I chose, but I consider that a plus because it means I'll be able to build a convenient inside well.

I started out by building some rooms, a stockpile and a carpentry workshop. Dug into the mountain from the north, because that's where the caravan was. Conveniently, so were the river and the fruit-rich fields, so I was up for a pretty good start. Cut down some trees, stockpiled the logs and started building beds and doors for the rooms. My dwarves started unpacking the caravan and putting all their stuff in the newly created stockpile, and they were getting accustomed to their rooms. at some point, a raccoon started pillaging some of our resources, but I built doors to the entrance of the fort and that seemed to solve the problem.

Then, waves of migrants came. I kept expanding the fort to accommodate more people, as we were now 20+ in it. I made a room for out manager so that I could carry out orders easily and I started adding some more workshops. Most of the bedrooms had polished walls by that point so that the dwarves would be happy about their living conditions. I tried digging downwards for more space, but I butted against an aquifer. I made lemonade out of the lemons that the game gave me and made a series of wells, which proved to be quite useful as I no longer needed to go to the river for water.

Unfortunately, despite all this good progress, one of the migrant's children was taken by a fey mood. I didn't really pay attention to it, thinking that, since a child can't do anything, the fey mood would just go away on its own. It didn't, and the child went insane, becoming melancholic. It eventually dehydrated itself to death, leaving behind two grieving parents. I built a stone coffin and a burial room to accommodate further deaths in the event that they happen.

Shortly after that little incident, a giant immigration happened, adding 20+ dwarves to my fort in one go, forcing me to change the labours of a few dwarves to help carve out some more rooms. I also had to build an extra carpentry workshop to make beds and doors faster. I am currently trying to make cloth so that I can make rope for some more wells, and hoping that I don't run out of room for stockpiles from the aquifer. Other than that, I'm doing good so far.

This is my fortress as of now:

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »

you know what, im going to start a fort on the new version, because i haven't played it yet anyway and i have nothing better to do atm. STRIKE THE MOTHERFUCKIN EARTH  Wizard

btw, if i could give you a tip: you might wanna use a square font instead of the default one (graphical tilesets are overrated). or idk, maybe this is not a problem for you, but i had real trouble dealing with the visually warped grid that results from the rectangular font. this is the font i use: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Nice_curses_12x12.png

but there are plenty of others here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:34:25 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »

Is it basically the same except square? Because if that's the case then I welcome it with open arms!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »

yes it's the same. well the dwarf icons have little beards which makes it 50 times better.

edit: also walls and stairs look a bit nicer.

EDIT2: you install it by saving the file to the data/art folder, then going to data/init, opening init.txt and changing the [FONT: filename.png] line to the file name of your chosen font.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:49:24 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »

I just noticed that words sometimes change in the third subtitle in the main menu. Neat. Edited the op to reflect that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

OK so I decided to be boring and use a warm mountainside location with a river, some trees, flux stone and metals for my fort. There are "untamed wilds" surroundings tho so there's at least the possibility of my dorfs getting killed by giant mosquitoes or various animalpeople. In my defense, I haven't seriously played the game in like 2 years.

I had starting a build called "BASIC BUILD" still saved. I hope it's actually useful. If not, YOLO.

Welp whatever, it's time for dwarf civ The Pointy Book to die horribly in the caverns of Inkedcloisters.

EDIT: the fuck is this new "locations" mechanic. toady pls streamline your zoning mechanics instead of adding even more!!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »

I haven't used them myself lol

The wiki doesn't seem to know what they're for either haha

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

well the wiki does actually say what they do:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Locations
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »

They explain how they're made and some of their functions, but not the context in which they should be used.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »

Make sure you all go to the Dwarfmoot to see Capntastic live and in person
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »

i can't because i'm on another continent but ill watch the stream for sure.

anyway, i'm only starting my game just now. my map is literally filled to the brim with metal and the only animals around are giant fireflies.  Hand Metal Left
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

I have literally never mined metal in any of my (short) dwarf fortress games. How vital is that?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »

pretty vital. you need it to make weapons. ideally you want to go for a map that has both shallow and deep metals in the world search thingy, if you want to minmax things. otherwise you can just produce lots of trade goods and buy weapons and etc from trade caravans.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »

Back in my day it was cliff, river, chasm, lava.  Now you get your pick of biome.
Gamedragon
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »

EDIT: the fuck is this new "locations" mechanic. toady pls streamline your zoning mechanics instead of adding even more!!
Locations are for the new taverns, inns, temples system. Anyone else playing Adventurer? Building is pretty fun.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »

I have a dwarf fortress craving right now but I'm at work and I deleted my save to transfer it to home so that I wouldn't play it here anymore but I waaaaaaaaaant to plaaaaaaaaay it!!!!!1!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »

giant kea stealin my shit
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »

The heck is a kea? looks like you're missing an "i" in front of that word.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

the more u know

they are as annoying in dorf fortress as they apparently are IRL btw

in other news, i finally got my first migrant wave. one of them is a gem setter who is also an "expert liar". hmmmm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic