Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:08:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHelp with a linear gameprogress 'map'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with a linear gameprogress 'map'  (Read 941 times)
KaleidoGames
Level 0

Making awesome games for real gamers

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I am building a shmup game with insects, this is actually a Deluxe version of an existing game but I'm adding all sorts of new bits to add playability and nice touches to make it feel well polished and for all year groups. Previous version looked for ages between 6 and 10 y/o.

At the moment I'm building a game-map (game progress). The game has 4 worlds and each world has different number of stages.

I started creating this widget but the game is linear (it has a secret world that becomes part of the standard progress once it is unlocked). A friend told me to add a real map with the stage symbols and place some dots in between, then move the main character from stage to stage. This sounds good but I have no artist anymore.

Other way I have thought is having some kind of cards with the symbols of each stage's boss. Everytime player finishes a stage, the current symbol flips and becomes small, and the next flips from grey and small to big size and colour.

I made a flash version (SWF) of this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/citeunh6zb8jovz/map_testing.swf?dl=0

Another friend told me that I shouldn't be revealing all stages in screen and force to scroll the "map" as the player goes further in the game. I believe I could get the same feeling adding some clouds or myst and move them as the player reveals those stages fo the first time ever.... And I wouldnt have to deal with scrolling the all items...

All of that could take some time to develop, so I wanted to ask for your opinion.

What do you think of all of that? What would you do?

Thanks!

Jaime

Take a look at:

Visit our site for more games:
KaleidoGames
KrilltheKill
Level 0

Shiz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 06:15:14 PM »

The last ideas seems to be promissing, but I think you should make a test of which and see what fits better with the theming overall, or what just feels more natural for this kind of game

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic