Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:21:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMinima (Turn based puzzle game)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Minima (Turn based puzzle game)  (Read 7699 times)
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »

Minima

Android Build (Pre-Alpha)

Minima is a Turn-Based Puzzle game

Gameplay consists of strategically moving and attacking other pieces.
Both player and enemy pieces have different movement patterns that the player must learn and predict in order to win.

@MaggardJosh (Programming)

@DenverSkyline (Art)

Important Updates

Initial Summary (6/3/16)
XPO Summary (8/1/2016 - 9/24/2016)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:34:01 AM by maggardJosh » Logged

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:02 AM »

Started work on a new enemy type. He takes two hits to kill, after the first hit he becomes enraged and starts jumping at you. I haven't gotten to that part yet, but here is a gif of him going into a rage.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »

I really like the look and feel of this. Very interested to see more on how the mechanics will work.

Also, he is vibrating at exactly the right frequency to convey anger. Nice!

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »

I really like the little voxel touches - the character assembling and the enemies falling apart. The animations are fun too, you get a lot of character with just hops and slides.

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this.

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »

I love how nice the animations are in contrast with the art style, I look forward to seeing how this develops! Keep up the good work!

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »

So I've decided to post a sort of "summary" of the development process so far, since we did do a decent amount of development before starting this devlog.

Here goes!

Original Prototype

This was my first time working with 3D at all, so I made up some quick models in MagicaVoxel (based on Denver's sprites), put them in Unity, and got to work. I got a grid layout working and some basic player movement. It turned out to be quite a bit easier than I thought, then again I am severely limiting the use of the Y axis so it's almost like working in 2D  Tongue

Then I put in a bit of physics and let the player knock over other pieces. This was fun, but could be better.

Voxel Destruction

Since the MagicaVoxel file format is available online (.Vox Format) we were able to extract out the individual voxel positions and colors of the models from the vox files. This allowed us to relatively easily let the piece appear to be 'destroyed' and fall apart. When the model is supposed to be destroyed we remove the mesh and replace it with individual voxel prefabs that have rigidbodies attached.

There were some hurdles, such as figuring out why the hell the colors weren't matching up with what I expected:

But I eventually figured it out, you can see the class I use here: MagicaVoxelHelper.cs. Feel free to use it in your own projects.

New Assets/Real Movement Added

This is where the game really started taking shape. Denver gave me some beautiful new models for the ground, player, and enemies. I added actual movement logic for the player, including height and checking for collision. The camera was changed to be an overhead isometric type of view, which is more appropriate for the strategy/puzzle-y game we had in mind.

Voxel Pooling

Performance started becoming an issue as we started destroying larger objects. This isn't surprising considering each voxel is instantiated with it's own physics. So we had to optimize the best we could and started pooling our voxel prefabs so they wouldn't be destroyed and instantiated over and over again. Pooling and limiting the number of voxels helped drastically, although this meant we would need to be careful how often we used voxel destruction. Sad

Basic Enemy Movement/Goblin Soldier

The next step was adding our first enemy: the Goblin Soldier. He is about as basic as you can get. He takes one turn to get 'ready' to move, while in the 'ready' state the goblin will pulse to show that he is about to move. The next turn he will try to move toward the player.

Another thing worth noting at this point is that, while the physics in game were pretty funny, they made pieces very, very unpredictable. Eventually physics were removed from everything except for voxels.

Player Death

Finally implemented a lose condition. If the player can be attacked at the end of their turn they will be destroyed.

Spawning/Despawning Rooms

Now that we had actual win/lose conditions we needed something to actually happen when you won or lost. The rooms are introduced by the ground tiles coming up from below the camera and the moving pieces (player/enemies) drop in from above. When the player wins or loses the ground is removed the same way, flinging pieces up in the air in the process.

Better Player Spawn/Piece Rotation

Introduced a different way of spawning in the player to further differentiate them from enemies and also to just add more eye-candy to the game. It was a simple matter of grabbing the information from the .vox file and just simple position tweening for each voxel. Piece rotation was also added at the same time. Player and enemy pieces rotate toward the direction they are moving, this can be turned on or off for each individual piece.

Archer Goblins

Archers were the second enemy to be introduced to the game. They don't have to wait to move like the soldiers do, but they do take a turn to aim before shooting and a turn to reload after shooting. They have slightly different AI as well, as they won't go straight for the player but will try to get within shooting distance then try to get to whichever lateral axis is closest.

Crossbow Goblins

Crossbow Goblins were an easy and obvious addition. They function identically to archers, but can't move and have a further shooting distance.

Attack Animation

Until this point we weren't sure exactly how we were going to handle attack animations. We almost settled on a static, bump into enemies to kill them type of approach. That was pretty boring though, so we instead decided to mix it up and give our static 'figurine' style characters animated attacks, which we think turned out pretty well and has given us a lot of ideas for future character attacks.

Hidden Areas/Camera Improvements

We've always wanted to have rich worlds in our games. For us, hidden areas are pretty much a must. We're going to hide so much crap in our game. Well, hello there!

The camera was also drastically improved in this section of updates. If the room is small enough the camera will zoom in until it fits on the screen. If the room is too big then it will zoom out as far as it can then follow the player while also obeying camera bounds. The player can also now rotate the camera in 90 degree intervals.

Wow, this post was much longer than I thought it would be, it's great to be able to see how much we've actually gotten done. I think I will enjoy this devlog. Gentleman

denrawr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

I really like the look and feel of this. Very interested to see more on how the mechanics will work.

Also, he is vibrating at exactly the right frequency to convey anger. Nice!

Thank you! And Josh really outdid himself with the shaking - it was perfect!

I really like the little voxel touches - the character assembling and the enemies falling apart. The animations are fun too, you get a lot of character with just hops and slides.

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this.

Thank you! We're really glad you're able to get a feel of the characters with what little animation there is. We are really wanting each character/piece to feel alive even though they are static 'figurines'.

I love how nice the animations are in contrast with the art style, I look forward to seeing how this develops! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! We really appreciat the feedback!

BeTeslohan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:12 AM »

Has potential, looking forward to the finished product. : )

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »

Finished the code for a new enemy type: Goblin Bam-Bam!

He behaves like a normal Goblin Soldier until he gets hit, at that point he goes into a rage and starts moving two tiles at a time.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »

Quick update since we haven't posted anything for a while. We've got some new ground models with different shades of grass and 'spire' models with different levels of decay to decorate the world with.

SkullPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »

This game is so cool. Here's my pixellated money: Hand Money Right
Good luck on development! I really hope to see this game completed. (And in my Steam library)

(Random suggestion: it needs a way to trigger explosive barrels or something and kill multiple enemies.) Big Laff

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »

This game is so cool. Here's my pixellated money: Hand Money Right
Good luck on development! I really hope to see this game completed. (And in my Steam library)

(Random suggestion: it needs a way to trigger explosive barrels or something and kill multiple enemies.) Big Laff

Thank you!! Also that feature is already in our backlog Wink

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »

Added a rain particle effect this week.

The rain's angle, speed, and probability are variable and can be changed during runtime and per level.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »

Added collectables.
Not sure how they'll actually look or what they'll be used for yet, but they exist now!

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »

Particle effect added for collectables.
Just a simple physics voxel effect to make collecting them feel better.

Explosive Barrels!

Started work on explosive barrels, they will be activated when they are hit by an attack (friend or foe).
2 turns later they will explode and damage anything in the tiles next to them.

In other news, we've been invited to show off our game at a local game festival at the end of the month.
We suddenly have a ton of motivation to get things done so expect a lot of updates in the coming weeks.
Gentleman

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »

Destructable Objects

Objects (crates, jars, etc...) that the player can't move through until it is destroyed.
These objects also take up a turn when attacked.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »

Wow I really like the look of the sprites and mechanics you've got going on. Following  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Inky Cricket
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »

Really liking the polish, especially the way the level's tiles fly in and out.

The attention to those minor details and smooth movements makes the game look quite satisfying.

Will there be any hints that the game features hidden areas?

I hope you do well at the games festival.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »

This looks cool. The voxels make the deaths and explosions look very satisfying. What platforms are you aiming for? Any plans for mobile?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »

Wow I really like the look of the sprites and mechanics you've got going on. Following  Beer!

Thanks! Beer!

Really liking the polish, especially the way the level's tiles fly in and out.

The attention to those minor details and smooth movements makes the game look quite satisfying.

Will there be any hints that the game features hidden areas?

I hope you do well at the games festival.

I spend a ton of time on the small things in a game, glad to hear it's paying off Smiley

I think there will be obvious hidden areas and very very obscure hidden areas.

Thank you!

This looks cool. The voxels make the deaths and explosions look very satisfying. What platforms are you aiming for? Any plans for mobile?

Thank you! Planning on PC for sure, and probably mobile. Really just depends on how well we can optimize it. We've been keeping mobile in mind at least a little bit from the start, so I'd be surprised if we didn't end up being able to publish to mobile.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic