Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:25:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMinima (Turn based puzzle game)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Minima (Turn based puzzle game)  (Read 7696 times)
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »

Improved Goblin Kill Animation

Changed how the goblin attack was detected and how the player death was started.
Actually turned off the hitbox for the goblin until the last second.
This resulted in a much more 'sudden' and 'intense' death for the player. I think it looks way better!
Cheesy

internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »

Wow! Really impressive work, and inspiring to an aspiring Unity dev. Keep it up, this looks great! Grin

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »

Wow! Really impressive work, and inspiring to an aspiring Unity dev. Keep it up, this looks great! Grin

Thanks! Always motivating to hear that what you're doing is inspiring to someone Smiley

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

Improved Hidden Level Sections

Changed how hidden level sections work, now we'll be able to hide pretty much anything we want to and customize how it loads to our heart's content Smiley

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »

That looks great! And seems like a great design approach for the hidden sections.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »

Movement Indicators

So one of the things I've found in playtesting is that some players don't seem to quite grasp that the game is turn-based. Especially those players that may not be extremely familiar with the games of this nature.

Obviously one thing we're missing at the moment is an actual tutorial, but I'm a fan of showing instead of telling when I can. So one thing we're gonna try is using "Movement Indicators" the little squares that you see popping up above pieces when they move. We'll see if this helps, and I'm sure we'll keep exploring options to make it more clear to the player.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

New Coin Models!

Got some new coin models from Denver! Amazing how much better things feel in game when they actually look good.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »

Signs

Added signs that display their text to the player when they move in front of it.

nvekm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 01:12:38 AM »

Looks fantastic! Digging the artstyle, as well as the turn-based combat (fond memories of Necrodancer)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 05:00:06 AM »

Cool use of voxels. Keeping my eye on this one  Blink

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »

Animation Curves!?

So let me tell you about something I wish I knew about when I started developing this game.

Easing into and out of position, rotations, colors, really anything is extremely important when making a game feel good and polished. So this is something I spend quite a bit of time on. I've rigged up my own easing scripts in Unity and have been using them for this project.

Welp, I just found out about Animation Curves.

These wonderful little things are built in classes you can use in Unity to accomplish all that in a much better way and be able to tweak them in the editor. I'll be using them for all of my easing from now on. This would have made a lot of things I've already done much easier and probably would have looked better!

Shrug

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »

Level End Effect

Added 'goals' that the player will be trying to get to in each level.
This is a good example of a thing that I would NOT have been able to accomplish without AnimationCurves, so glad I learned about them! 

Wink

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »

Aw man I've been loosely following this via twitter. Glad to see a dev log up and going.

I'ma continue to follow, this looks pretty neat. And this better be on mobile, it would fit along side games like Lara Croft go quite well.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »

Looks fantastic! Digging the artstyle, as well as the turn-based combat (fond memories of Necrodancer)
Cool use of voxels. Keeping my eye on this one  Blink
Aw man I've been loosely following this via twitter. Glad to see a dev log up and going.

I'ma continue to follow, this looks pretty neat. And this better be on mobile, it would fit along side games like Lara Croft go quite well.

Thaaaanks! And mobile is 100% in the plan right now Smiley

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »

Destructable Chunks

Larger destructable objects turn out to be too much performance-wise. So we've added a chunk-destruction system for larger objects.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »

Spike Traps!

Spike traps have 3 states and automatically move to the next state each turn.

Inactive - Completely withdrawn and not dangerous
Ready - Partially showing and will destroy something next turn
Attack - Thrusts upwards quickly and destroys anything that is on it, then withdraws completely

Movement Indicator Improvement

Movement indicators stay above enemies until they are completely done with their turn.

JShrum.Composer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »

I love the voxel design. A lot of the enemies seem to be almost chess-esque in the way they act and attack and such. Obviously, there's a lot of room for ingenuity as well in a system like this, but subtle influences like that make it feel familiar too (in a good way!).

You seem to be quick at work as well, churning out quite a lot of new stuff consistently. I'm impressed! Smiley
Should be fun to see this thing come to fruition. Good luck!

I make music! Take a listen:
WebsiteSoundcloud
maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »

I love the voxel design. A lot of the enemies seem to be almost chess-esque in the way they act and attack and such. Obviously, there's a lot of room for ingenuity as well in a system like this, but subtle influences like that make it feel familiar too (in a good way!).

You seem to be quick at work as well, churning out quite a lot of new stuff consistently. I'm impressed! Smiley
Should be fun to see this thing come to fruition. Good luck!

Thanks! Wink

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »

Spike Trap - In Editor

Another fun thing I've really enjoyed about Unity is the [ExecuteInEditMode] attribute that you can apply to any Monobehavior.
This lets scripts run while in the Unity Editor. With this I can do things like show the starting state of Spike Traps before actually running the game.

maggardJosh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 08:08:19 AM »

Water Tiles!

More environmental model stuff from Denver. I love how this stuff is looking!  Grin
Also voxels cause a splash effect when they go into water.

Distinguished Turns

Turns are actual turns now.
Instead of everyone going at once after the player is done moving, enemies move THEN traps move.
Will allow for some neat domino effect stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic