Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:35:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Image compression
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Image compression  (Read 754 times)
fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »

Could someone please explain to me the best methods for importing images and sprites into Unity.

I'm aware that a texture in a power of 2 format works best, but does anyone have any tips and tricks to get file sizes as low as possible while maintaining quality?

It's pretty frustrating having something look great in photoshop, but when its imported it looks awful.

Also, what size do you normally use for your characters/backgrounds etc. Currently my main character uses an "asset sheet" sprite file which is 1024*1024.

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »

"It's pretty frustrating having something look great in photoshop, but when its imported it looks awful."

Are you saving it as jpeg with low quality? The standard format for sprites is png, which won't do that.

fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »

"It's pretty frustrating having something look great in photoshop, but when its imported it looks awful."

Are you saving it as jpeg with low quality? The standard format for sprites is png, which won't do that.

I've used both PNG and PSD, both which are supposed to be the best to use with unity. However neither worked as I expected. Sad

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

I've used both PNG and PSD, both which are supposed to be the best to use with unity. However neither worked as I expected. Sad

What are your settings for the sprite inside unity?

fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

I figured it out, well at least perhaps a workaround. I had the resolution set to 72 ppi, which was purely to try to keep the image size small. However if I set it at 300, then reduced the "Max Size" in Unity, the quality wouldn't degrade too much and the size went down considerably!

For settings I just had it set to a simple sprite with mip maps off, point filter and automatic compressed

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »

I figured it out, well at least perhaps a workaround. I had the resolution set to 72 ppi, which was purely to try to keep the image size small. However if I set it at 300, then reduced the "Max Size" in Unity, the quality wouldn't degrade too much and the size went down considerably!

For settings I just had it set to a simple sprite with mip maps off, point filter and automatic compressed

Resolution doesn't affect anything on your sprites if you're setting the image size in pixels on your editing software. It refers to pixel per inch, which is usefull only for printing material, when you're working with a file that has it's measures in inches, or centimeters, etc...

But your problem lies in Unity. You have a compression problem and you just told me your settings are "automatic compressed".
Change this to "truecolor".

fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »

Resolution doesn't affect anything on your sprites if you're setting the image size in pixels on your editing software. It refers to pixel per inch, which is usefull only for printing material, when you're working with a file that has it's measures in inches, or centimeters, etc...

But your problem lies in Unity. You have a compression problem and you just told me your settings are "automatic compressed".
Change this to "truecolor".

You are correct! My bad haha, thanks for your help Smiley

Do you design your own artwork? I was wondering if there were any best practices when designing sprites. I know keeping everything in true colour will keep gradients consistent etc. But I'm worried that if I design everything like that, I'll have a huge end product of a game!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic