Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:09:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSwipeHero | School project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: SwipeHero | School project  (Read 2585 times)
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »

Project_SwipeHero

SwipeHero is couple weeks old project of mine, basically it is puzzle game coated in 'rpg' paint.
Premise of the game is that, you can move only in one direction until you hit obstacle.

Updates
Update 25.8.2016: Core mechanics done
UPDATE [02] 30/6/2016: Magic and ranged attacks
UPDATE [01] 19/6/2016: Struggle

Main platform is mobile, hence the swipe in the name.
With this project, I'll try to avoid most of the hud-elements Might change this, this is where the battle system comes in,

There is no health-bar or anything in-game, your character's health is represented with armor pieces. In fight, both you and enemy are 'equal'-fighters, so you have to get upper-hand in fight with having more armor or better weapon.

I'll try to explain this better if anybody has questions.

Screenshots & Gifs

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:41:23 AM by miguli » Logged
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »

I think this could be really cool if the RPG elements work well. I see a lot of room for strategic, interesting "battles" with the swipe mechanic you've got. Enemies blocking off paths, having to choose between blocking off their paths or moving to a different enemy, interesting things that could happen if the right formations are formed. What're you thoughts on what you want to do with that?

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:42:14 AM »

I think this could be really cool if the RPG elements work well. I see a lot of room for strategic, interesting "battles" with the swipe mechanic you've got. Enemies blocking off paths, having to choose between blocking off their paths or moving to a different enemy, interesting things that could happen if the right formations are formed. What're you thoughts on what you want to do with that?

I don't have clear vision with enemies yet, as I have not tested them in different situations and get 'feel' on how they work.
So I have to fiddle with them more.
But as now I have been thinking 3 different enemy types;

Stationary Enemies who just stand there, blocking path
Patrolling Enemies that walk fixed path until you kill them. This can lead to enemies that you can pass without battling, but they could have puzzle related item that you need to get => Come back to kill enemy when you have weapon/armor
'Mimic' Enemy that mimics player's movement, so you need to use room to get enemy trapped and kill it.

These are still up in the air and more likely will be changed.
Thanks for the reply : ')
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »

Bit progress on project, I have also added transitions between rooms.

Also I'm working on a next room, with this first 'floor' I have to add new enemy type with unique mechanics. For that I'm also drawing enemy sprite.
But before that, I'm going to add shadows to the game. I'm thinking going with a bloom-ish shadows for objects.

I have not done progress much as I wanted past few days, but it is coming nicely along.

Edit.
Here is the first chamber before tiles
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:47 AM »

Really love the pixel art although the sprites for the tiles are kind of small which clutters it a little at a glance. Are you working in game maker?

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:01 AM »

Really love the pixel art although the sprites for the tiles are kind of small which clutters it a little at a glance.
Thank you!
I'm might add more outlines to tiles, that should help it bit.

Are you working in game maker?
Yes, I'm using Game Maker: Studio
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:08:30 AM »

Great! Look forward to seeing more as this develops!

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 04:19:20 AM »

Great! Look forward to seeing more as this develops!
Thanks!

19/6/2016
Progress update on project, first off saying this; I have not got much progress because I have been struggling with resolution.
I had previous resolution system, but I noticed that it did not work perfectly and I abandon it. So I started new one, I followed Game Maker: Studio's own tutorial on 'resolution'.

But After implementing new system I noticed it was not compatible with light-system;

I tried to fix this problem for days, trying to solve it, without any success. I also tried to get help from friends, but they could not help me with this.
So after abandoning earlier system, I had to abandon this new one too.
I had halt progress on this project too long only for resolution-scaling.

So I'm going to move on-wards without resolution scaling, and trying to implement it later, whenever I find a better way to do it.

Tough, I also could go with preset resolutions for the game, which player chooses. This is the last option because I'm aiming for mobile platforms foremost.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »

30/6/2016
Been sick over week, so there has not been so much of progress than I wanted.
But today I picked project up again, and started working on enemy movement. As this game is pretty simple, I feel like I don't need 'complicated' enemy AI, so I just added simple "go to this direction" until something blocks you.

In debug mode, I can change enemy's direction. So I fooled bit with it.

But I implemented something more interesting and 'bigger', player can now cast SPELLS... Well actually I started implementing system that allows player use ranged weapons, these include spells too! As now, it works only for spells and need more polishing, as the system can't detect what type 'bullet' type player is shooting, now it only thinks magic balls.

Also I need add collision for clicking player to active Ranged-attack mode, now you can press anywhere in screen to activate it.

Ranged attacks bring more opportunities for puzzles, so this is bit exciting for me and designing puzzles.
Also for "combat" I might change armor system bit, so different armor can have spell-resistance or something.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »

Nothing major done; I re-did some graphical assets, seen here:

I'm trying to make more distinctive style for the game, I today did some tests with player sprite to see how it would look and I'd say it looks messy in 'beautiful' way.

Also I deleted previous enemy movement system and re-did it again, now I'm happy with it. It is still simple system, but now it works better and "similar" way in terms with player character's movement.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 05:58:41 AM »

SPIKES  Cheesy
This is the first stage hazard added to the game, it is mainly to restrict players movement even more.
Spikes will kill you instantly, even if you have full armor.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »

Slow progress
I have been battling with new mechanic that I'm working on, push-able blocks. Problem is, currently moving player character is used both keyboards and mouse. Next important thing is now to make full transition to mouse only as this will be for mobile platforms.

Other little mechanics I have added to game are switches and holes. Made so, that when you click player character it changes states between Moving or Shooting, before you could click anywhere in screen to switch between them. This would been problem when I implement last of mouse movement.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »

Those spikes look deadly! Love the enemy placeholder reminds me a lot of Imbroglio's charming character design.

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »

Those spikes look deadly!
I might add speed lines when they appear giving them more deadly "feel" and hopefully closer to release very sharp sound effects  Big Laff

Love the enemy placeholder reminds me a lot of Imbroglio's charming character design.
Never actually seen this one,
but as the game will be divided to different themed Campaigns there will be plenty room to add all sort of enemy-looks.

About campaigns, there are actually three planned at the moment;
Tutorial -- Which will be themed around medieval tournament where. This most likely will be cut-scene heaviest campaign, also shortest.
Dungeon -- This is the campaign that I'm working on first.
Horror, Horror and Horror -- Campaign revolves around hospital that was abandoned after alternative history World War II, there have been many mysterious disappearances around the place and as detective you'll go check it out.

So it won't be only about middle-age stuff.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 05:45:27 AM »

Finally added mouse movement to the game, I still need to add same controls for using ranged attacks.

You can also now push blocks, but it is not shown in this gif

Also I have been fixing some bugs, so every object in image below works as intended.

After that, I started working on Game Over screen. As Game Maker : Studio you can have persistent rooms and characters, this will be a bit of a problem when some levels are made from multiple rooms.

Debug room

Sadly my computer is bit broken, and I can't work on this project as much as I want, most likely I'll take some student loan to get me a better computer. This one is over 6 years old  Roll Eyes
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:59:24 PM »

Update 25.8.2016: Core mechanics done
Finally, all core mechanics are in the game!
Hardest thing to implement actually was 'restarting'
-- Why so? Well, because levels can consist multiple rooms that player can go back and forth. These room's are persistent, for example if you push a block, go another room and come back the block is still in position that you pushed it.

Well because Game Maker : Studio is bit odd, you can't restart persistent room while you are in the room, so in game, when resetting a room, I need to move player trough all levels that need to be reset.

This was very puzzling thing to implement and I could have not done it without help (pretty much implemented it by himself  Cheesy)

So now, after all these things have been added, I can move forward in this project and start creating rooms !
But as stated previous post, my computer is bit broken and I can't see colors with current graphics card, I used bit of my time in school to make tileset for outside levels.

Yeah, they are ugly. I'm bit sad about this because I used so much time for these, different versions and so on and it looks plain ugly :/ Need to re-do them later again.

Thank you for reading this mess of devlog.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »

I started working on the Introduction levels for 1st Campaign. So I need some outside tiles; so I redid cliff tile, you can see the old one in last post.

Also for the Introduction cutscene, I need a horse sprite; so I did one.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »

Fall sprite for character base
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

More sprite work done,

These are for Tutorial Campaign, which I'll focus for now because SwipeHero is also a school project, and I have only ~15 days to get something playable done.

Project will not be 1.0 version, when I have to return my project. I'll continue this after school deadline.
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Shitty quality :b
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic