Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:09:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHypnospace Outlaw [Future-Geocities Detective Cop Car Chase Game?] [KICKSTARTER]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Hypnospace Outlaw [Future-Geocities Detective Cop Car Chase Game?] [KICKSTARTER]  (Read 26611 times)
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »

We're LIVE on Kickstarter! Here's the KS video:

Also, here's a Desktop Pet. :3

HYPNOSPACE.NET <- SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER! GIFS IN YOUR INBOX! (but not too many)

Newest gifs:

-------------------------

Hypnospace Outlaw is a game in which you police the internet of the future. In said future, most people work for a powerful corporatocracy all day and cruise the Hypnospace Highway (a literal Information superhighway) while sleeping.

There are competing virtual sleep worlds, but Hypnospace reigns supreme.

This is a sequel to a suuuper tiny 2014 game I made called Hypnospace Enforcer. Trailer here:

As an Enforcer, your job is to peruse a Geocities-esque database of websites, identify scumbag users who violate Hypnospace law, and take your cruiser out to track and apprehend them. You'll face everything from clueless old folks propagating adware and toolbars (which can infect you if you get too close) to masterful hackers and their various schemes.

The game is split into "Zones" which are inhabited by Hypnospace users. Every car on each stage can be identified, and has their own website/profile. I'll be brute forcing the content of their websites for them, and I hope to weave some consistent lore about the conditions of their world throughout.

Here's some early car movement:

I made a sequencer (can't have geocities-y websites without annoying quasi-midi music)...

http://i.imgur.com/zcG5Ief.png

...and crappy "website" editor!

http://i.imgur.com/hg3Hu4O.png

Hypnospace Enforcer is being made in Clickteam Fusion 2.5. It will be a Windows only game because I'm going hogwild with extensions and shaders that I can't export without paying that Chowdren guy a zillion dollars. This brilliant guy Mike Lasch is helping me with the code that I'm too dumb to get right. He's over here: twitter.com/BipolarMike

EDIT: Actually, we're moving it to Construct 2 so we can be cross-platform. :0)

I'll probably Kickstart this later in the year after finishing the final Dropsy content if it doesn't get picked up by a publisher. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:55:09 AM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
cocopickle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »

That got some style man <3
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »

Pls Take me back to the golden age of Geocities, Angelfire and 500 minutes of free AOL Dial up.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:55:18 PM »

Looooke awesome!  WTF

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »

Love the color palette Smiley

I can relate to having too many extensions in Fusion 2.5. I also painted myself into a corner as far as release platform options go. Oh well...

Keep up the good work!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

yessssss i loved the little 4 level or whatever itch.io version from a while back. the aesthetic and music was  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:21:20 AM »

Thanks everyone. Smiley

I've primarily been working on music for various projects I've committed to, as well as playing the last of the Adventure Jam games, so I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd like. Still, progress is being made. Mostly on the Operating System portion of the game.

Startup sequence, tooltips, settings menu:

It has a pretty cool startup sound too. I went all Brian Eno on it.

Moving icons around and a little bit of the revamped browser:

Alert boxes!

There's also a traffic simulation being worked on by Mike. It's pretty robust and cars can have their own personalities (grandpa, hotrod, etc) and color schemes and stuff. I'll share more about that next time.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »

This looks incredible! Following!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »

Nice icons, I really love that hypnospace explorer icon! I can't express how much I love it when a game has a computer that's interactive beyond a simple menu(or even makes interacting with the computer the main thing!). Heck in most games you never even get to see what fictional OS the developers could come up with!

One suggestion I have is maybe giving the error box an instant appearance as opposed to dissolve in and out, or have it dissolve in more quickly. Maybe give it a fancy exclamation on the left of the text in the error box, so you can know instantly it's a big, fat, disruptive error.

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »

Thanks all! Got the sound and music volume fully implemented today. Thinking about making some light sort-of generative music happen while you're in the OS and a webpage song isn't playing. I'm thinking it'll primarily be silence with subtle tones triggering depending on what program is open.

One suggestion I have is maybe giving the error box an instant appearance as opposed to dissolve in and out, or have it dissolve in more quickly. Maybe give it a fancy exclamation on the left of the text in the error box, so you can know instantly it's a big, fat, disruptive error.

Did this today too. The reason for the fade-in before was because the sound I made had a bit of an attack to it, but you're right that it didn't feel very alert-y.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »

Going with a new format for the log:

[₦] New Feature (or continued work on a feature)
[ʙ] Bug Fix
[ ҉ ] Note / Idea / To-Do

11:41 AM 7/1/2016
[₦] Finished generative ambient music that reacts dynamically to activity in the OS.
[₦] Added HYPII - Hypnospace Intelligent Intermediary. Basically a Clippy clone with a little Bonsai Buddy. He gets creepy if you break the law.
[₦] Begin work on adding "Hyperlinks" to Citizen Pages. Hyperlinks will either link to other pages (1) or call functions (2)
[₦] Added "virus" that moves mouse, distorts screen, and warbles music with different severity depending on a value.
[ʙ] Fixed the frame height not scaling with page height in Hypnospace Explorer
[ ҉ ] Change Cruiser Shop to HypnoShop or something since you buy more than just Cruiser parts there.

12:00 AM 7/3/2016
[₦] Finished adding hyperlinks that can link between pages.
[₦] Gave HYPII the ability to read any text by right clicking on it.
[₦] Mike got car collisions in the Highway portion of the game, as well as rudimentary background objects.
[ ҉ ʙ] Fix HYPII's text-reading so it doesn't happen outside of the browser.

Will post a few gifs tomorrow night.

Dropsy!

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »

Oh man, time to build up some HYPNO HYPE!

Love the look of the hypnospace explorer, especially all the 3D shapes. Would be cool to see more crazy 3D icons a la Netscape 4. Look at that back button! It's got lighting, a bevel, AND a drop shadow!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »

New video of my progress thus far!

Oh man, time to build up some HYPNO HYPE!

Love the look of the hypnospace explorer, especially all the 3D shapes. Would be cool to see more crazy 3D icons a la Netscape 4. Look at that back button! It's got lighting, a bevel, AND a drop shadow!

Ungh I love it. I'd totally go that route if it weren't as low res as it is. Also, Frog Days is doing it amazingly well and I don't wanna encroach.

Dropsy!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »

This looks so nice! Is Dropsy done? I watched your interview with Jonathan Holmes about it, very inspiring!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 05:14:32 AM »

This looks so nice! Is Dropsy done? I watched your interview with Jonathan Holmes about it, very inspiring!

Thanks! Yeah it's been out since September. We're still working on a lil' DLC with an additional area, but there's no time frame for it.

Dropsy!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »

Thanks! Yeah it's been out since September. We're still working on a lil' DLC with an additional area, but there's no time frame for it.

Oh man I totally missed that. Buying it today!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 05:52:46 AM »

Thanks! I hope ya dig. :0)

Added a little animation for the window expanding when opening a program:

Dropsy!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »

Ooh that animation is great!! And those mouse trails! And wohoooooo that talking head assistant thing is just too good! :D

Ungh I love it. I'd totally go that route if it weren't as low res as it is. Also, Frog Days is doing it amazingly well and I don't wanna encroach.

Thank you, but anyone with photoshop can make beveled, dropshadowed 3d buttons(seriously it takes like 2 minutes to make a decent one hehe!), the source material is readily available for inspiration, it's not like one person can claim ownership or mark their territory on a source of inspiration. It's just that type of aesthetic is the road much less traveled for whatever reason. Smiley

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »

Ooh that animation is great!! And those mouse trails! And wohoooooo that talking head assistant thing is just too good! :D

Thanks! He starts off as the game's sorta tutorial system and gets creepy if you mess up or do things you're not supposed to. You're playing as an Enforcer, who is kind of a day-job moderator of Hypnospace, so there are lots of things you're not permitted to use the computer for.

Thank you, but anyone with photoshop can make beveled, dropshadowed 3d buttons(seriously it takes like 2 minutes to make a decent one hehe!), the source material is readily available for inspiration, it's not like one person can claim ownership or mark their territory on a source of inspiration. It's just that type of aesthetic is the road much less traveled for whatever reason. Smiley

Yeah, definitely. I just like to play to my strengths and I'm just not the best 3D person. I figure sticking to pixel-art and making it fit as well as possible is the best route.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »

The logo was previously in the background of the explorer, but it works better where it can be seen. :D
Also, revamped a few of the icons so they actually look like what they represent. The HypnoShop's icon is now a coin, etc.

Alllso, I'm streaming development here: http://twitch.tv/jaytholen

Dropsy!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic