Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:43:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHypnospace Outlaw [Future-Geocities Detective Cop Car Chase Game?] [KICKSTARTER]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Hypnospace Outlaw [Future-Geocities Detective Cop Car Chase Game?] [KICKSTARTER]  (Read 26615 times)
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »

I'll be around Gamescom from the 17th until the 19th if any of you wanna meet and see the game. I'll be attending IGJam. :0)

Here's an example of the sequenced music:

and one more... plus some goofing around at the beginning:

The songs are just INI files. I'll be fixing up the sequencer I made for them and releasing it along with a Site Builder before the game comes out:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:41:00 AM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2016, 05:54:22 PM »

git that press

https://killscreen.com/articles/hypnospace-outlaw-will-turn-internet-police/

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »

I was just coming here to post that. Woop woop.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »

Posted this sweet lil' teaser on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/770729423012331521

also here's a gif I posted on twitter a while ago and forgot to slap here

Dropsy!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »

*Hug*

how many frames are you using in fusion?
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

just one for the actual game. lots of layers though :0)

Dropsy!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »

I'm a big fan of Fart Baby's domain for obviously biased reasons! ;P Beautiful teaser as well.

And I was meaning to comment on those sweet loops, I've had them pop in my head every now again. They're very catchy and memorable... especially that Georia Pear's classic.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »

thanks for the inside look, that's amazing.
any performance issues with that many layers?
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »

thanks for the inside look, that's amazing.
any performance issues with that many layers?

Nah, you can have a zillion layers with no problem. The big performance hit in this paroject is my sequencer - fusion is really slow at parsing external files and triggering audio files efficiently.

Though I have a weird loyalty to Clickteam, I'm prooobably going to move the game to Construct 2. I've done a few tests and it can handle everything much more smoothly. It feels a lot like Fusion, so there's not much of a learning curve for me. It also ports to Mac/Linux, which would be really nice.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »

actually did stuff to the Highway part for once:

also here's a sweet new brand:

Dropsy!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »

This looks absolutely fantastic.  Love the idea of a game about exploring a fake internet, and the aesthetic is perfect.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »

The whole sequencer thing sounds really cool. Sucks to hear that Fusion is handling it slow though. Do you think it could run faster if you load the music data into strings and parse from there instead? Or is it the external audio file loading that is the bigger performance culprit?

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2016, 08:31:29 PM »

The whole sequencer thing sounds really cool. Sucks to hear that Fusion is handling it slow though. Do you think it could run faster if you load the music data into strings and parse from there instead? Or is it the external audio file loading that is the bigger performance culprit?

Thanks man! I've experimented with loading the data in tons of different ways and this is as well as I've been able to get it to run. Part if it probably is WHEN the data is loaded. Previously, it'd load everything for the next pattern on the beat before the current pattern ends, which caused a slight (but incredibly annoying) pause when the sequence would loop. Now it just loads data per-beat. There are probably tricks to whipping Fusion into running it better. On any PC fast enough to play post-2008 3D games on it runs fine.

That aside, Construct 2 having superior Mac/Linux support without paying some dude a jillion dollars for his homemade exporter is the main decision maker.

Dropsy!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2016, 10:38:37 PM »

A sweet new brand indeed. Makes me want a bopdog badly! The highway part looks like it's coming along very nicely too, such smooth movement and good screen shakes.

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/hypnospace-outlaw

We're LIVE on Kickstarter! Here's the KS video:

Also, a Desktop Pet. :3

Dropsy!

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »

Been meaning to ask, how does HYPII work? The audio and lip-syncing is blowing my mind.

Congrats on the Kickstarter btw. Looks like it's gonna do just fine. Smiley

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »

backed, good luck on this project
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:07 AM »

Thanks!

Been meaning to ask, how does HYPII work? The audio and lip-syncing is blowing my mind.

Congrats on the Kickstarter btw. Looks like it's gonna do just fine. Smiley

HYPII uses the default text-to-speech voice on whatever OS you're running. It's pretty convenient that there are universal hooks for such a thing, because I really just had to do simple animation frame calls for pre-defined mouth sounds.

Other than that, it's just simple scripting/string parsing to get him to fly to a certain point, change animation, and say stuff.

Dropsy!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »

388 backers have pledged $8,156 (29.13% of $28,000). The launch went well.

A short-term goal for Kickstarter projects is to get to 30% funded before half the time is used up. Hypnospace Outlaw looks like it will achieve this milestone within hours.

About campaign performance:

Kicktraq currently shows an overoptimistic $75,843 (270%). BackerTracker shows a trend to $35,964. SideKick shows a 29% chance of success.

The second day brought in 3 more backers than the first day brought in.

Here is data about the launch day:
http://i.imgur.com/coeo6dz.png

About 65% of backers are picking the $10 early-bird tier.

The average pledge per backer was around $25 at launch. It would take 1,120 backers at $25 per backer to reach $28,000.

I don't see any problems with the reward tiers so far. The under-performing of the $12 tier is to be expected while its early-bird counterpart is around. The $16 tier should improve as well once the early-bird tier is full.

About outside Kickstarter:

Rock Paper Shotgun had small post about the project launch.

The Cafe section of Ubuntu Forums, NeoGAF and The Game Cavern, A Handsome Trustworthy PC Gaming Blog had posts about Hypnospace Outlaw. The project was retweeted by a programmer at HelloGames. A post to /r/Games had 9 comments before disappearing from view.

Super Mario Run was announced. Sony announced the PlayStation 4 Pro. Titanfall 2 continues to show previews. Pokemon shows off more Pokemon. Since PAX West the gaming news has settled a bit.

ReCore releases on September 13th. Persona 5's Japanese release is September 15th. September 17th is Tokyo Game Show.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero announced a September 27th release date. It also announced Xbox 360 and PS3 ports won't happen.

Hypnospace Outlaw is scheduled to end on October 4th. It will be over before the strong wave of hyped AAA games in October.

About within Kickstarter:

On launch day Hypnospace Outlaw was ranked 4th in popularity in the category. Dual Universe was ranked 1st and bringing in lots of traffic. Rad Rogers was ranked 2nd. Dawn of the Devs was 3rd.

Currently Hypnospace Outlaw is ranked 3rd. Dual Universe and Rad Rogers kept their rankings. Dawn of the Devs dropped to 4th.

firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »

You are the best! Keep on rocking!  Gentleman

firebelly - developer
firebelly studios ::: temporus ::: firebelly ::: twitter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic