Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:03:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Case of Distrust
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: A Case of Distrust  (Read 31306 times)
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »

EXTENDED SHOWCASE DEMO

Haven’t played A Case of Distrust at game conventions? Or, maybe you have, but you’d love a bit more? Now, through the magic of the internet, you can try the Extended Showcase Demo!

(!!!)

Okay, real moment, I’m terrified and exhilarated. This is the first time my game — the thing I spent almost two and a half years making — will be played worldwide. I’m shaking while typing this post.

So what is this build?

I’m calling it the Extended Showcase Demo. Basically, it’s what I’ve brought to events, plus a little bit more. (For those who have played the shorter demo, you’ll actually get to go inside Southern Coffee.) I’m sharing this now so we can chat about it — so that I can dissect elements of the game (like the travel conversations) in future blog posts. It will let me lift the curtain to more clearly show you the inner workings of the game’s development.

At shows, the demo typically took 10 minutes to get through, so I’m guessing this should take 20 minutes — maybe a bit longer if you linger.

The entire game takes about 3-4 hours, so this is just a taster. Remember, you’ll be able to get the full game on February 8th! But for now, please enjoy this demo.

I hope you like the flavor!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »

In preparation for A Case of Distrust, I plunged myself into the 1920s. I read histories — about police departments, about cities, about prohibition, and about gangsters. I studied modern art, I searched for magazines, I listened to music, and I took courses. And still, I made mistakes. I left one in the demo — did you see it? Look at the conversation above. "He looked quizzically at me through the rear-view". The rear-view mirror? Sorry, Ben, those weren’t standard issue until the 30s — most people in 1924 would never have seen one.

Writing any historical fiction can be a minefield. Oh, I love reading it! I can learn about a time period while enjoying a story. And writing it can be fun — all the lore has been established, you just have to write the characters. But mistakes are easy to make if you aren’t careful. Did you know that AmTrak was only established in the ’70s?

Beyond just a historical story, I’m writing a mystery. And I’m wrapping it with an adventure video game. Those genres are already niche — I don’t want to require love of the Roaring ’20s to the enjoy the game. So how do I incorporate history while maintaining fun?

Put it in the game, but let players seek it out.

The taxi conversations are a perfect vehicle for this type of content. Nothing is integral to the plot, and yet, for those interested in the history (like me!), those details can be magical.

Go to a well-known location. Ask characters about a newspaper. There are many small, subtle avenues to add historical touches to the game, without turning this into a textbook.

I love that my players can learn a little bit about a time period while enjoying themselves.

I just need to be careful. Writing any historical fiction can be a minefield.

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

After spending two and a half years making it, A Case of Distrust launches in two and a half weeks. I'm still kind of numb to it right now - we'll see how long that lasts.

For now, let me share the launch trailer with you!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »

I’m honored to share that A Case of Distrust has been nominated for the SXSW Gamer’s Voice Award! If you’re around Austin in March, swing on by to see the game and cast your vote for it!

PatrickECS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2018, 01:07:49 AM »

Can't wait to see the finished game, good luck on launch in two weeks & congrats for the SXSW nomination!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »

ROTOSCOPE

The art in A Case of Distrust is created with a technique called rotoscope. This involves selectively painting over frames of a filmed sequence, creating a style that mixes incredibly realistic animation with fantastical lines and colors.

A Case of Distrust isn’t the first game to do this (Prince of Persia is the most famous example, and the upcoming Desert Child by akuparagames also uses rotoscope) but, for the past few decades, the technique has mostly stayed within film. This helps give my game a unique flavor when compared to other contemporary titles.

So how do you rotoscope? Everyone’s approach is different, and depends on subject matter and desired style. For me, I had actors — mostly volunteers from the Toronto stage scene — perform various emotions (angry, sad, smile, shock, etc.) while reading from the game’s script. As you can see from Fanny Green’s actor, costume shapes were more important than colors.

From that footage, my next step was to define each character’s look. I grabbed one still-frame that I thought embodied that character’s personality, and then I painted over that frame until I found the appropriate lines. You’ll notice the silhouettes are quite stylized, so this step took a while.

After that, I selected individual frames to create a complete emotion (around 5-7 per animation). Rinse and repeat for every emotion, and then for every character, and I had an array of emotions that I could drop in wherever I wanted in my game.

Because of the massive number of frames required, I eventually enlisted the help of my friend Taylor Pereira to create some of the art. And Virginia Woodall, owner of Toronto-based production company DV8 Productions, was invaluable in coordinating the actors and filming a lot of their scenes.

Of course, the filming itself led to some hilarity — stay tuned for more behind-the-scenes soon!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »

Can't wait to see the finished game, good luck on launch in two weeks & congrats for the SXSW nomination!

Don't know how I missed this -- thanks much! Loving all the updates on Crest!!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »

The game is now one week away from release! Eep! I can't contain my excitement!

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »

RELEASE

This is it! A Case of Distrust is officially out! (I've been shaking all morning.) You can get it on Game Jolt, Steam, or itch for 15% off this week! Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

And a very special thank you to the folks who follow on this forum. Many of you have reached out personally to tell me that, while you don't reply, you love the updates. TIGSource was the first devlog I started, over a year and a half ago, and it's been a wonderful ride!

---

Edit: Feels good to finally do this:

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

Ohmigosh I've been hiding my head from posting congratulations because I bought it but I've only played for like 30 minutes so far and I feel bad about that Tears of Joy

I really really liked what I played. So congratulations! I'm excited to finish it, maybe this weekend?

TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »

Ohmigosh I've been hiding my head from posting congratulations because I bought it but I've only played for like 30 minutes so far and I feel bad about that Tears of Joy

I really really liked what I played. So congratulations! I'm excited to finish it, maybe this weekend?

Thanks much! Glad you're having a good time Beer!

Also I'm so happy you followed this whole time. I'll have a few more updates thanking the dev team in the coming weeks.

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »

Huge congrats on releasing the game!  My wife and I played it together and had a great time.  Loved the style, the hard-boiled writing, the music, everything. Well done!

A nerdy technical question:  how’d you keep your graphics so sharp? SDF, SVG, just lots of copies for different resolutions, black magic?  I’m super interested.

Hope you’ve had a chance to relax a bit now.

Congratulations, again.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »

Congratulations!!

You have developed a great game!
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »

Hey fam,

I saw Distrust pop up under Upcoming Releases on the Switch store! Damn, that's exciting.

That's actually one of the recent factors that got me thinking I could do another port/rewrite of The Whisperer in Darkness, this time in Unity so I could hit more consoles and actually keep up cross-platform support long-term. I wanted to see if you might have thoughts!

(devlog post)

Janionano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »

Hey fam,

I saw Distrust pop up under Upcoming Releases on the Switch store! Damn, that's exciting.

That's actually one of the recent factors that got me thinking I could do another port/rewrite of The Whisperer in Darkness, this time in Unity so I could hit more consoles and actually keep up cross-platform support long-term. I wanted to see if you might have thoughts!

Just now I became aware of the game and saw all the hard work done by the dev. A Case of Distrust is also coming to Nintendo Switch on September, 20? Wow, great!

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »

original idea!
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »

It's been a while since I've sailed these TigSource waters! Thanks for all the love, folks! Yep, the game's out now on Switch as well Smiley

It's been a wild ride. Real fun releasing this old dream of mine. I'm really happy with how this all went. Thanks for the support again! <3

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic