Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:28:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEgg Engine - game engine with Lua language
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Egg Engine - game engine with Lua language  (Read 2172 times)
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »

I want to release this engine in the future, so I will post progress with screens of its project manager. I call it Egg Engine.

A long time ago, I decided to make my own game engine. I had my failures, I learned, and I finally made a great game engine I'm proud of. I use this engine to make my game Ghouls in the Neighborhood. It works on Linux, Mac and Windows. I may target other platforms in the future.

The core of this engine was written in C, using portable libraries such as: Lua, GLFW, OpenGL, OpenAL, Vorbis, LodePNG, ENet.
All the game is coded in Lua. The various functionalities of these libraries are passed to modules which the game developer can access. Yet, the most important feature of this game engine is its package system, which make easier for the developer to create save files or even create expansion packs for its game.

Now, I'm working on the graphical user interface of this builder, and is more like a project manager. This means it doesn't include a editor for code, maps, sounds or such. I let the user choose his/her favorite tool.

Comparisons. If I can compare it with other engine, the closest one is Love2D, because it uses Lua. However, my engine includes the package system mentioned above and is more flexible, as it can be used for 2D and 3D games, and you have direct access to the functions of each of these libraries. In Love2D, like in this game engine, you can also create a whole game architecture, however I have already a whole architecture for 2D games. An architecture for 3D games will be made, including loaders for 3D meshes and 3D physics.

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »

Hey felipe! Cool to see this here. I'm definitely interested in seeing where you take this.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »

Thanks, hex! ^^

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 05:57:47 PM »

Nice, looks very good.

Waiting your release that engine  Grin

Finding what I can do better
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »

Thank you guys!

Here are some more actions:

In this video, I'm opening project Ghouls in the Neighborhood, viewing the packages and it's contents and, then, building the project.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:43:26 PM »

I decided I will use a model of distribution similar to the one of Aseprite. If you don't know how to compile (in this case, the player and the builder), you can buy the precompiled. Everything, the player and builder in C, and the default game architecture (in Lua) will be placed in a github page.

I started  a draft of a itch.io page.

Click to go to the secret page draft.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »

Great job with the UI! Really sleek and minimalist.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic