Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:20:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat would you spend $100 on to make your game/project better?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What would you spend $100 on to make your game/project better?  (Read 974 times)
thatkevinwong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »

For me, I'd either spend it on licensing some really nice sound effects or fonts. The free/open source stuff out there typically isn't as impressive.

Other thing that could be useful is to purchase stickers or other bits of printed swag for exhibitions. I feel that having stuff to give away while showing off the game is a huge confidence booster for teams. It helps build up an identity for the game which can be useful internally and externally.
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »

$100 is a pretty small budget. You might be able to license work that already exists, but you won't be able to pay for much custom work (a couple music tracks would blow that sum pretty quickly, and original art would churn through that after a few pieces).

I'd probably spend it on a Unity asset or two that makes my production faster. Specific asset depends on the game I'm making.

I would definitely not spend it on advertising. Low-sum paid advertising is virtually useless for promoting a game. But little extras - buttons or neat business cards or stickers - would be fun to have.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »

i'd spend it on food and entertainement so i can be in a healthier body and mindset to work on my game/project.

100$ is not much really.
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »

Steam Greenlight or Apple Developer account? If you said a $1000, then art (me being programmer). But $100 won't get me anywhere asset-wise, really. It's too little to contribute a significant portion of anything that couldn't be otherwise acquired for free or I couldn't do myself. So basically Toast Right.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:32:00 AM »

You could commission a nice looking intro screen from a professional artist?

Or you could also get an export module for GameMaker:Studio.

Chaotrope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »

I'd also say commissioning music or art. The free stuff just isn't going to be very memorable, and a dedicated musician or artist is going to do everything they can for $100 in my opinion.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 05:26:02 AM »

you could probably get some concept art or a detailed sketch for 100$. i don't see a professional artist doing anything super polished for that little.

i'd probably invest the 100$ into Unity assets, it gives the maximum turnaround for the least invested.
nickFromPaintteh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »

100$ could be used to have some (better) testers and get sincere feedback to your game.
Maybe find some decent testers on 5er to get it tested and grab feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic